- - - - -

737 Autopilot speed control not working?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wigwag123

Wigwag123

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:49 AM

I have flown several different planes/jets and not had any problems with the autopilot controls. Tonite I did my first flight in the 737 which went just great except for one thing. I had the AP Master switch on and my desired speed dialed in the gauge but when I go to hit the "ON" switch for the speed nothing happens. I know the rest of the Autopilot was working as I had my navigation on as well as my altitude. While doing those ones I noticed the little LED's in those buttons would light up after I pressed them. However the speed button would not light up and AP would not control the speed. Manual throttle control only.

Anybody else have this problem? or is there something different about the AP speed it in this airplane that I don't know about?

BTW I think it's a cool jet to fly and handles quite different then the smaller ones I have been flying around, and not as forgiving.

#2 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:03 AM

View PostWigwag123, on Jun 2 2007, 03:49 AM, said:

I have flown several different planes/jets and not had any problems with the autopilot controls. Tonite I did my first flight in the 737 which went just great except for one thing. I had the AP Master switch on and my desired speed dialed in the gauge but when I go to hit the "ON" switch for the speed nothing happens. I know the rest of the Autopilot was working as I had my navigation on as well as my altitude. While doing those ones I noticed the little LED's in those buttons would light up after I pressed them. However the speed button would not light up and AP would not control the speed. Manual throttle control only.

Anybody else have this problem? or is there something different about the AP speed it in this airplane that I don't know about?

BTW I think it's a cool jet to fly and handles quite different then the smaller ones I have been flying around, and not as forgiving.

The full steps to auto throttle are:

Set the desired speeed
Set A/T arm
Set Auto Throttle Hold

The only thing that can stop it lighting up, other than a fault, is not having the `Set A/T Arm` button on.  Hope this helps......

Reider

#3 Wigwag123

Wigwag123

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

reider your good! As we suspected it was operator error.  Doh!

I'd swear the A/T Arm button was not there last night. I looked everywhere for a switch like it (and obviously missed it). Today it's right under my nose. I guess it's easy to overlook the obvious sometimes, for me anyway....

Thank you, it works great.

#4 kamakazi

kamakazi

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

Oh really? :angry: :lol: You can also activate speed hold by pressing Ctrl + R. This will automatically engage the a/t arm and the ias speed hold... :lol:

Edited by Kamakazi, 02 June 2007 - 06:53 PM.