28 replies to this topic

#1 Tepp

Tepp

Screenshot Hotshot Jun '07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:20 PM

I thought this would be a good place to share where your favorite places to fly are. Since there's so much detail in FSX around the globe, most of us are missing out of some amazing scenery simply because we don't know it's there. (At least that's my case) :lol:

My favorite right now:

Traffic pattern around PAJN.

#2 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

What a simply brilliant idea, thanks.  I was flying in India and Burma, had to find somewhere to refuel before continuing my journey.  I landed at both of these airports

VANP - India
VYMK - Burma

Now they were both very scenic but one in particular, I think it was the Burma one but don`t quote me, was an extremely short runway surrounded by mountain walls on all four sides.  As I took off I had to use half flaps on my Beech King Air 350 with the preset incline as high as I dare go.  Full throttle and hold it on manual incline til the plane reach 24,500 feet and still climbing wildly.........  My feet were pressing through the floor and my head/neck was well back, even my seat was tilting further than it should!!!  I had to tell the dog this was no time to play football, lol.

VTBD - Thailand, Bangkok Airport is one of those places just like New York, busy, vibrant, lots of visual eye candy.  I wrote it down as I fully intend going back quite a few times more.  You cross one of the runways as part of the taxi way, not unusual but I have traffic turned fully on and it is so visual.  Jets moving all around, taking off and landing every few minutes, incoming airliners and small planes too.  Airport traffic floating about all over the place.  I could stay there all day and just soak in the atmosphere.  something I often do at Manchester EGCC, Manchester Barton Airfield EGCB within 20 miles one side of me and Liverpool (Speke Airport, proper name John Lennon Airport now) EGCP, 20 miles the other side of me.

Manchester Barton EGCB is a flying club airfield, and was going to be the UK`s first airfield I believe, unless I misheard.  Its in a heavily domestic area, lots of houses and roads.  One airborne approach (though not matched in FSX) is over the top of the M6 motorway on a flyover, to land on a very short grass strip alongside and starting at the really old brick control tower.  All landing is low over a fence and drop down quick, pull up really short as it isn`t too long, all on grass.  theres a nice airside cafe there, full viewing even from the tower, microlights and helicopters there if you do it in real life.

Incidentally, in real life the viewing area for Manchester EGCC is right at the top of a multi storey car park, resplendant with cafe and airplane model shop.  This is shown in FSX (just the roof tho, lol).  There is a pub at the end of one of the runways and I`m sure this shows as a house behind a fence in FSX, the regulars get an excellent view and a pint too. :lol:  OK, I sidetracked and deviated enough,

Reider

Edited by reider, 19 February 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#3 GuttahMastah

GuttahMastah

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

My favorite places:

KLAS

KBWI

KLAX

KORD

TNCM

EGLL

KJFK

Least favorite places:

La Guardia :lol:  :angry:

#4 live2ride883

live2ride883

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:03 PM

After spending 6 years in the US Navy I was able to see quite a lot if different places, so I usually fly places I have been and will probably never see again. I'll also fly over places I might be going to, in March i may be going to Providence, RI so I took a flight around there in the ultra light.

#5 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:37 AM

Apologies to one and all, in my reference to John Lennon Airport (Speke airport) above I said it was EGCP.  Its actually EGGP, can`t read my own writing on my notes  :lol:

Reider

#6 ditopilot05

ditopilot05

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

WN737, on Feb 19 2007, 04:20 PM, said:

I thought this would be a good place to share where your favorite places to fly are. Since there's so much detail in FSX around the globe, most of us are missing out of some amazing scenery simply because we don't know it's there. (At least that's my case) :lol:

My favorite right now:

"PAJN"? Which country and city?

dito

#7 Lateral-G

Lateral-G

formerly jbrundt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

ditopilot05, on Feb 21 2007, 01:11 PM, said:

WN737, on Feb 19 2007, 04:20 PM, said:

My favorite right now:

"PAJN"? Which country and city?

dito
Juneau International, Alaska

#8 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

OK, I was on my last OZ venue (third one) and not running short of fuel but knew I wouldn`t quite get there, so I went on reduced throttle and stuff.  I was over the sea, nowhere for miles around and just happened to look in the nearest airport list on the Garmin.

YLHI-Lord Howe Island, New South Wales (I used runway 28) had fuel but off my route, a quick calcualation told me it would still help a lot, entered it manually into the Garmin and switched routes.

As a dot in the sea got nearer and was still a dot (it was like a postage stamp), I realised this was going to be all or nothing, though I could do a touch and go if all else failed.  The edge of the island was the start of the runway, the other edge was the end of an oh so short runway, with a drop too!!!

Now whilst not being overly large, my Beech King Air 350 does like a little room to pull up.  So, this approach had to be worked out really well, I hate sea approaches too, get it wrong and you`re in the drink before you hit the runway, with this one that happens at both ends!!  I managed it, though I pulled a luverly wheel spin, and the seat I was sitting on was spinning around with the direction of the wheel spin too, whilst my feet were digging into the ground.

I will definately be going back there a few times, I enjoyed that immensely.  Give it a go, its brilliant.  Might try Concorde on it next, lol.

Reider

#9 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

Portland. Period. :lol:

JK, Winchester, VA is a cool place to fly too :angry:

#10 Beefcake

Beefcake

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

KCLT, KJQF and, OH41 <---- really short runway.

#11 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

KSLC, KATL, KCVG. Notice they're all Delta hubs. :lol: I especially like KSLC for the mountain flying and love flights to KCOS and KJAC being a recent one I've liked.

#12 martindh2005

martindh2005

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:35 PM

CYYZ, MUHA,CYUL,TNCM,VHHK

#13 Anvil_Flyer

Anvil_Flyer

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

Wellington and Queenstown, in New Zealand.

#14 Luke_Harvest

Luke_Harvest

Commercial Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

Scenery: LOWI

APP: EGLC

#15 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

Ok, part of my world tour entails going from Australia to Chile.  Quite an expanse of water for a Beech King Air 350.  So, I decided to go island hopping, in order to collect the fuel to get from one side to the other.  Part of the journey I took off from Rarotonga Intl -NCRG to fly to Easter Island as it shows on the world globe.  Only I couldn`t find it in FSX.  A bit of digging on the net gave me this.....

Easter Island, SCIP, Rapa Nui (Big Rapa) its known as by the locals.  Its Isla de Pascua which belongs to Chile and the airport is Mataveri Airport.  Its reputedly 3000 KM from the nearest land.

Raratonga Intl (NCRG) to Easter Island was 2762.8 NM so I refueled at NTAA Tahiti I some 615.6 NM away, then found NTTO another 497 NM from there.  Finally setting off to SCIP on the lowest throttle setting ever, to travel some 1823 NM to SCIP, I landed on mere fumes.  There were other King airs there so I presume they had extended tanks or a barrel of fuel on board or something.  The journey from SCIP to SCse, the nearest land of any description with fuel was 2011.5 NM, I set off with ultra low throttle from the outset but was saddened to find I was 150 miles short of fuel, I had to resort to cheating.

I got an award for a landing on the most remote airport at SCIP, so anyone fancy giving it a go too-lol?

Reider

#16 Salem

Salem

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

I usually fly around Hawai, hana airport and enjoy the scenery over there, will start a world tour soon in either a beech king air 350 or an learjet, most of the time though i just keep practicing landing prop. aircrafts since they are more difficult than jets

#17 masterchief

masterchief

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

i like flying through L.A. to find areas featured in GTA: san andreas (not much luck)
and i sometimes fly through Nevada to find Area 51 (no luck here either) but most of the time i fly from Heathrow (EGLL) to go around my home town.

#18 Tepp

Tepp

Screenshot Hotshot Jun '07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

Sorry for the bump, but I don't know very interesting places to fly, and so maybe some more people could post some locations. :lol:

#19 SpinStall

SpinStall

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:56 PM

CYYJ!

Where I fly in real life!!  :lol:

#20 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:44 AM

View PostWN737, on Mar 25 2007, 07:27 PM, said:

Sorry for the bump, but I don't know very interesting places to fly, and so maybe some more people could post some locations. :lol:

Then why not start a world tour?  Do a search on the net and get some world maps and set off for a fantastic adventure, noting ports of call in your notebook.  Make it more interesting by stopping for fuel at wild and unplanned locations.  You`ll soon find some interesting locations of your own too........

Too much effort, takes too long?  Not really, start the flight and save where you end up.  A few days, a week or a month later carry on from that point.  In between times you can just play around as you wish with the rest of the flight sim stuff.  Don`t know where you`re going?  Use the Garmin with the flight planner, initially on VFR mode, but try some IFR too, with pre planned toutes from your downloaded maps.

Reider