* * * * * 11 votes

Posting In Virtual Airlines Subforum [MANDATORY TO READ]

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 Mul.

Mul.

Contributor\First Class Member\Hardware Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,362 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:03 AM

Having observing this forum over the past few months, I'm concerned by the way people go about posting in here so it's about time some rules are to be set.

First of all, the General Forum Rules

General Forum Rule #3 said:

Refrain from posting sexually oriented content or using foul language in your posts or signature. This site is family-oriented, and such things don't belong in a Flight Simulator forum anyway. If you need to convey an emotion there are plenty of smilies :lol:

That means no swearing. Don't do it.

------------------------------------------

General Forum Rule #7 said:

Insulting or otherwise being overtly rude to other members will not be tolerated. If you have nothing useful to say then say nothing at all. This would include the use of the word "owned", or any derivative thereof, in an attempt to embarrass or otherwise put down another member.

It never ceases to amaze how people manage to break the most important rule so often.

In the context of this forum, if someone advertises their VA and you think it's in need of improvement, make a constructive post without insults and suggest what/how it can be fixed. Single emoticon, no text posts are not tolerated either. For those that don't get it still, here's AN EXAMPLE of what's right and what's wrong.

Your website is :lol: WRONG - This will result in immediate suspension without warning
Your VA is :lol: WRONG - This will result in immediate suspension without warning
:censored: WRONG - This will result in immediate suspension without warning

Might be worth moving away from a freewebs type design and looking into some webhosting and a ".com" type domain. Think about getting a webdesigner in to help you out and overall your VA will have a more professional look CORRECT

We all start from somewhere. Everyone's a human being. How about treating newcomers with respect maybe?

Thread Derailing

Stay on topic please. It's basic forum etiquette to not throw threads off course. If you have a problem with a member, send a PM. If they're insulting someone send a report.  If you're found intentionally throwing topics off course to fulfill your own agenda, then once again this will result in immediate suspension without warning

Proof Of Permission

While we do not wish to create a safe haven for those who have created their Virtual Airline without permission from the real world airline (where relevant), it's become clear that derailing threads to squeeze the "truth" out of VA Owners is just as counterproductive. Anyone found doing this will ahve their post edited out and will be warned in the thread itself and via PM.

FAO Newcomers

In here, the main point of discussion is via Press Releases or making posts for openings in your virtual workforce. Post sensibly, do not hijack other topics, write in English to the best of your ability and do not react to critical posts. If you are found doing any of this, you'll be warned up to two times but on the third time you'll be placed on Moderator Preview where moderators will screen your posts before making them viewable.

That basically covers it. Anyone in breach of these requirements will be suspended or banned, be it one or dozens of members in some kind of e-lynch mob. We will not hesitate to dish out multiple suspensions and bans.

Posting Your Press Releases or Help Threads...

In lieu of a lot of threads that have gone wrong in the past, I would like to address a few things which will now be mandatory when posting your press releases and topics.

1. Are you ready to post a PR? - If the answer to this is no, then do not bother! In order to be ready for a press release you must have:

1a - A completed logo, brand name and aircraft livery.
1b - A website from a genuine domain (this does not include freewebs, free domains and other free alternatives)
1c - A goal with outlined strategies

1. Use a sensible topic title - You want to grab the attention of the crowd to your press release but be sensible. Use good grammar and make the title self explanatory. Make sure that your thread title has [Press Release] at the beginning followed by the actual title or [Advice] if you're in need of VA based advice.

2. Post with immaculate spelling - Your thread must be as close to free from spelling errors as possible. Paragraph your press releases and use a spell checker. You're representing your hard work before a substantial number of "experts" and quite simply, a press release is the only way that others can judge who you are and how good a Virtual Airline you are.

3. Is your Virtual Airline meant to be a realistic representation of how an airline works or not? - Well, is it? Mention this in your press release and make it clear.

If your Virtual Airline is meant to be realistic, then think your Business Strategies and Objectives through. If it's a realistic airline, you want to model the planning like a tree before posting a Press Release.

Example

Name - El-Cheapo Airlines

Main Objective - Offering low cost flights to the budget conscious within Europe.

To meet this objective....

How do we offer low prices? - Low fares, therefore your expenses must be low.

What are out hypothetical initial funds? - A fleet of aircraft of a single short haul type is known to be a reliable business model for a low cost carrier. Do you realistically have funds to randomly buy a large fleet of 737-800's? Perhaps you may have better luck leasing aircraft from other airlines or buying aircraft second hand. Fleet size? A startup airline can't afford a silly amount of aircraft nor can they cope with huge scales of expansion in the short term.

This is the sort of line of thinking that you'll need to consider before you even post here. Not everyone has a brilliant business sense so naturally if you've made a bit of a mistake in your strategies involved in meeting your objective then there's no need to fret. With a bit of luck, our fine experts will give you some sound and constructive advice. This comes to my next point.

4. Take advice constructively or DO NOT bother posting at all
- Press releases combine your skills to present but also your skills with regards to Public Relations. This entails being calm, understanding, willing to listen and not lose one's temper.

If you are caught not taking advice constructively, you will be warned once and your thread deleted. Further problematic threads will see you on Moderator Review where our moderating team including myself will filter your posts before they become publicly viewable.

Do not say you haven't been warned.

Mul[/b]

Edited by Mul., 13 September 2009 - 06:00 PM.

#2 JG1324

JG1324

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

Good Job Mul. Taking a Stand in the Subforum. It was Great fully Needed!

#3 Pierre.

Pierre.

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

Excellent rules Mul! Five Stars.

#4 p_kavanagh

p_kavanagh

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

MUL for President!!!.

#5 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:14 AM

Excellent Mul.  :lol:  

And as an aside, I just banned two accounts for breaking some of the rules Mul highlighted above.  This forum is no different than the rest where the rules are concerned.  Keep it clean and enjoy yourself.

#6 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

About time something happened. I hope you guys can change this section around. :lol:

#7 Jerel Byrd

Jerel Byrd

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

I cant see anythng has changed. I do see a few of the people who were doing most of the bashing have not posted in awhile but the top few posts are full of people bashing on a new VA with comments like lol and your site stinks.

Jerel

#8 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

Thank heaven for 7/11.
Oh woops. I mean than heaven for Mul.
Its good to have something like this in the VA subforum. I don't think it is nice to go around saying things like Mul metioned. Constructive criticism works. Being extremely mean doesnt.

#9 -RAMz-

-RAMz-

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

This is great. Hopefully people around here won't have much of an attitude problem.

I can admit to my own wrong doing and I will do my best to set a good example.

#10 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

Mabey i havent ever tried to make a VA, but it seems that now you cant even dislike somthing. I think sarge said once or twice, and thats "he won't sugar coat crap and call it candy." I belive in the same idea.

From the looks of this it seems that saying "i really don't like your VA" is a banable offence. Its a personal opinion and i don't see that as a personal attack. Mabey i don't like it, im not going to say, Gee wiz your sites awesome if its clearly not. Or anything like that and i wouldnt want to give them false hope. I dunno, but it seems to me like the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" rule is being taken a bit too far.

Just my opinion...

#11 Continental180

Continental180

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Well, its about time something happens here, and i will say i was one of thoses people. But after hearing some people, Jerel, FlyCinco, JG1234, etc, i have come to senses that we are all a team here, trying to improve the quality of service and trying to get to the fact we all are successful. I have been doing this for a very long time, almost to long in fact, and i have seen the growth of many virtual airlines in the past, such as American Airline Virtual(joinava.org), MetroAir(metroairvirtual.com), and many more. I have learned a lot over the course of 8 years. Some good, some bad.  

The Flight Sim Industry has grown over 80% in the past 5 Years. Its incredible. But over the time, people are seeming to become more ignorant and selfcentered. People feel like they are all that, and that they are the only ones who matter. I hate to break it to you, but your stay will become shorter.

Long Story short, and sorry for the choppyness of the post, but all im trying to say here is cant we all just get along? i mean we are all here for one reason, to make a difference! Not to bash at peoples ideas. Who cares if someone has a freewebs, who cares if someones webdesign is terrible. as long as he is happy, and is doing something to make a difference, so be it! don't bash, suggest! There is always room for improvement. But by saying your website is not up to the standards we have, and that it is crap, is not doing any good, period. And i was one of theses people. I used to have a freewebs, surprisingly, but had success with over 100 pilots. Good things can come from small things.

My 2008 Resolution, and i no this is a little late, but i plan to not make one bash about someones website. I will suggest and give ideas on how to improve. We are all here for one reason, and lets show it.

Thank you for your time reading this, and i congrat Mul for taking a step in the right direction!

Best of Luck to everyone, and hope everyone took something out of this post,

Best Regards,

Tyler Gibbons
Chief Executive Officer of FlyBlue

#12 Don Grange

Don Grange

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

View PostBrandon., on Jan 28 2008, 06:50 PM, said:

Mabey i havent ever tried to make a VA, but it seems that now you cant even dislike somthing. I think sarge said once or twice, and thats "he won't sugar coat crap and call it candy." I belive in the same idea.

From the looks of this it seems that saying "i really don't like your VA" is a banable offence. Its a personal opinion and i don't see that as a personal attack. Mabey i don't like it, im not going to say, Gee wiz your sites awesome if its clearly not. Or anything like that and i wouldnt want to give them false hope. I dunno, but it seems to me like the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" rule is being taken a bit too far.

Just my opinion...

Hi Brandon.,

You've grabbed the wrong rope! If you don't like something, you don't post saying "I don't like your VA, so go and die," or "i really don't like your VA". If you don't like something, it's in your best intrest to say how you don't like it in a positive manner, not as a ''get a gun to your head, I hate that logo.' style.

#13 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

View PostNo., on Jan 28 2008, 12:45 PM, said:

Just my opinion...

Hi Brandon.,

You've grabbed the wrong rope! If you don't like something, you don't post saying "I don't like your VA, so go and die," or "i really don't like your VA". If you don't like something, it's in your best intrest to say how you don't like it in a positive manner, not as a ''get a gun to your head, I hate that logo.' style.

I understand what you mean, and i may have missed out on some major war here. But i think the best form of comments is negative. Sure its nice to hear positive things but with negative things you know how to improve.  Now our understandings of 'negative' comments are obviosly different, but still its nessicary to improve. ANd often times these comments are true. Its just having the maturity to deal with them appropriately and correctly. Again i ask...Why would i "sugar coat crap and call it candy" ..?

#14 -RAMz-

-RAMz-

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

It seems to me that some people post with this certain attitude that I interpret as being rude.

Has anybody else caught this especially somewhat on the third page of St. Maarten topic?

#15 Pierre.

Pierre.

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

View PostSME_101 / RAMz, on Jan 29 2008, 09:07 PM, said:

It seems to me that some people post with this certain attitude that I interpret as being rude.

Has anybody else caught this especially somewhat on the third page of St. Maarten topic?

In some way, yes. But I don't interpret this as rude.

#16 -RAMz-

-RAMz-

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:29 PM

Just checking. I may be to critical.

#17 Don Grange

Don Grange

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

View PostBrandon., on Jan 28 2008, 08:55 PM, said:

Just my opinion...

Hi Brandon.,

I understand what you mean, and i may have missed out on some major war here. But i think the best form of comments is negative. Sure its nice to hear positive things but with negative things you know how to improve.  Now our understandings of 'negative' comments are obviosly different, but still its nessicary to improve. ANd often times these comments are true. Its just having the maturity to deal with them appropriately and correctly. Again i ask...Why would i "sugar coat crap and call it candy" ..?

I'm honestly with you 100%, but I get moaned at if I say what I feel. I don't like covering bad things up with a pack of lies.

The community here is different - all like a big family kinda. :lol:

#18 Hazmat

Hazmat

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

View PostNo., on Jan 29 2008, 12:33 PM, said:

View PostBrandon., on Jan 28 2008, 08:55 PM, said:

Just my opinion...

Hi Brandon.,

I'm honestly with you 100%, but I get moaned at if I say what I feel. I don't like covering bad things up with a pack of lies.

The community here is different - all like a big family kinda. :lol:
Like a big, odd, and multicultural family. :lol:

#19 DJ Iceman

DJ Iceman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

I might seem a bit late, but I do see some rudeness, but I will admit that the people over here are a LOT more generous and helpful compared to another forum I'm part of (YSPilots.)

I posted a topic there about my game crashing after a flight, did a reinstall (even stated it in the topic) and *name removed* goes

"We have some crashing game boo-boo's down in the "REINSTALL YOUR :lol: GAME" aisle."

I know it seemed stupid, but wow O_o

I am glad that this place will do something about it, rather than let a bunch of 40 year olds run the forum and be :lol: holes.

Edited by (SH)Iceman, 01 February 2008 - 01:11 PM.

#20 Pilot899

Pilot899

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:06 PM

I wish members would actually take notice of these rules as I still see people slating others' ideas... :lol: