* * * * * 11 votes

Posting In Virtual Airlines Subforum [MANDATORY TO READ]

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#21 -RAMz-

-RAMz-

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:14 AM

View PostFlyFX, on Jun 27 2008, 02:06 PM, said:

I wish members would actually take notice of these rules as I still see people slating others' ideas... :lol:
You can enforce it by pressing the report button.

#22 - M.Parker -

- M.Parker -

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

The report button is abused, in my opinion.

#23 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

View PostDHLVAC CEO, on Jul 27 2008, 10:23 PM, said:

The report button is abused, in my opinion.

That Report Button needs a shine to it and more to use it :hrmm:

#24 Mul.

Mul.

Contributor\First Class Member\Hardware Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,362 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

Updated to include information for new members and a few other minor updates here and there

#25 Kreu

Kreu

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

Well said Mul!

I was thinking about the whole process required to set up a successful VA and saw that although required standards have gone up, I think that we all are forgetting our origins. Most newborn VA's tend to be run by people who are not up to the task of paying up to the expenses needed to set up what is defined as a "va-with-a-future" - also known as "non freewebs and similar free providers". To put it simply, not everyone can take the whole load of paying for a .com account - and sometimes, the professionals too cannot be up to the task. I know that because I've been through all that I'm saying. I've seen Air Malta virtual close because of budget problems and I've had a tough time trying to set up a VA on freewebs and the answer always returned a "no-go".

However, I looked into the coloured histroy of a VA I joined for a short time and saw that in time, it too had been a freewebs based VA. My question is: did the forums evolve to become intolerant of Freewebs; Or is it that many tend to forget the crucial detail that not everyone can afford to pay?

Anyways, I hope that forum users make it a tendency to be more tolerant and constructive. The VA industry is not an easy one, that's true; but when one fails because of an agreesive "room mate", the aggression will tend to spread and harm the rest.

#26 LukeK

LukeK

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

View PostKreu, on Aug 7 2008, 10:18 AM, said:

To put it simply, not everyone can take the whole load of paying for a .com account - and sometimes, the professionals too cannot be up to the task. I know that because I've been through all that I'm saying. I've seen Air Malta virtual close because of budget problems and I've had a tough time trying to set up a VA on freewebs and the answer always returned a "no-go".

With respect, but web hosting has grown to be so much of a commodity these days that this is not a significant barrier to entry for anyone who's truly serious abut their project. Look, a domain costs less than $10 a year. Hosting can be had for just a few dollars a month. There's no excuse to do a free site nowadays, especially not one with ads, popups and other junk.

What it does signify to your user base is that you are not serious and not willing to invest in your VA. You are asking potential users to invest their time and energies in you, but conveying a lack of investment and commitment of your own. That is a recipe for being passed over. There are plenty of VAs who show the signs of significant investment; pilots will gravitate there because there's less risk for them.

Anyways, I hope that forum users make it a tendency to be more tolerant and constructive. The VA industry is not an easy one, that's true; but when one fails because of an agreesive "room mate", the aggression will tend to spread and harm the rest.

Most VAs fail for a simple reason - their creators do not have the necessarily skills, capital or commitment. No VA ever failed because of criticism on a message forum. I don't think there's room for rudeness, but at the same time Virtual Airlines are IMO harmed more by the perception that they are all run by clueless kids who have no idea what they're doing, and abandon the project in three weeks when they get bored. It's not a valid perception (the most successful VAs are all administered by grownups) but one that forums like this help perpetuate.

Cheers!

Luke

#27 Spartan

Spartan

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:49 AM

Sir, yes sir!

#28 Koosh

Koosh

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:31 AM

View PostMul., on Jan 17 2008, 08:03 PM, said:

We all start from somewhere. Everyone's a human being. How about treating newcomers with respect maybe?
Now I feel the warmth you're giving Mul. Way to go! (:

#29 Monte

Monte

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

Unfortunately the respect is being shown!

Monte

#30 PrivitePilot13

PrivitePilot13

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

how do i join this?

#31 -RAMz-

-RAMz-

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

View PostPrivitePilot13, on Sep 29 2008, 08:26 PM, said:

how do i join this?
:hrmm:

By posting in this forum, you agree to abide by these rules.

#32 Monte

Monte

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

Can I just add that, it may not be a rule that requires to be observed, however if you notice a spelling correction or date correction, it would be best for all involved if you PM the poster with a polite message rather then putting it on the thread!

This just causes flame wars that aren't needed :hrmm:

Monte

#33 Flexible

Flexible

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

View PostMonte, on Oct 27 2008, 05:06 PM, said:

Can I just add that, it may not be a rule that requires to be observed, however if you notice a spelling correction or date correction, it would be best for all involved if you PM the poster with a polite message rather then putting it on the thread!

This just causes flame wars that aren't needed :hrmm:

Monte
+1 Monte, This happend to my thread.

View PostJebus, on Oct 27 2008, 05:03 PM, said:

The use of the Century Gothic font is so over used in the VA world.

This also happened and I  don't get why he posted this???

#34 FlightSimmer0724

FlightSimmer0724

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

Some people need to stop doing this :

Posted Image

Edited by FlightSimmer0724, 27 October 2008 - 05:14 PM.

#35 Flexible

Flexible

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:58 PM

View PostFlightSimmer0724, on Oct 27 2008, 05:12 PM, said:

Some people need to stop doing this :

Posted Image
Or posting that pic in peoples topic(Mine..) would not be wise.

#36 JordanFarmer

JordanFarmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

This just causes flame wars that aren't needed

Monte

This happened in mine to and it turned into a full blown war!!! i just don't see why people do these things

#37 FlightSimmer0724

FlightSimmer0724

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

to get there post counts up.

#38 Jack.

Jack.

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:42 AM

One point I'd like to add is the numerous amount of unneeded pictures in the post. FlightSimmer0724 there is no need to be placing these in any topics or any unneeded pictures at that fact, and I believe it should apply to all people.

Jack.

#39 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

Apparently a few in here just couldn't take the hint and heed the rules, so tonight several accounts were either banned or suspended to think about it for awhile.  Hopefully everyone else can now get on with decent VA discussions...

There are a couple of other accounts on close watch, so keep your noses clean folks.  We have simple rules around here - nothing fancy.  Treat others the way you'd want them to treat your mom and you'll be fine.

#40 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:13 AM

Good to see some action being taken.
I remember, before joining FSW, I would always look here and there were never many issues.
Once I did, I saw things get worse.
I just hope things can get back to the way they were!