- - - - -

British Airways 777-200 Lands short of runway at LHR!

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#41 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

anyone watching news 24? ts very interesting...

I can't wait until they tell us what happened on ATC... it should reveal when they lost power...

#42 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Unfortunatly the media will say things, try and have the answers so they got more viewers etc... Even if the information is wrong

Yes so far they have:

1. Identified an A320 as a 747
2. Told us BA 777s are powered by RR engines that ae very reliable

#43 Lukesap

Lukesap

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

View PostThrottleUp, on Jan 17 2008, 11:30 AM, said:

That is true, because the 772 have been in service for about 13years now (Roughly) and the 777 saftey record as been 100% up untill now. One problem from 13 years of service must say something about the engines right?

However the first one did make me laugh i mean it is an easy mistake to confuse a small A320 to a 360+tonne 747/ :lol:

#44 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:45 AM

That is true, because the 772 have been in service for about 13years now (Roughly) and the 777 saftey record as been 100% up untill now. One problem from 13 years of service must say something about the engines right?

Unless Im terribly mistaken.....BA uses General Electric GE90 engines on their 777s not the RR Trents.

#45 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

Unfortunatly the media will say things, try and have the answers so they got more viewers etc... Even if the information is wrong

Yes so far they have:

They are extremely reliable  :lol:  

edit:

oh I see.. err theyve got some 777s (Earlier ones) with the GE's later ones with the RR's

Edited by spitfir3, 17 January 2008 - 11:46 AM.

#46 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

View PostJG1324, on Jan 17 2008, 03:09 PM, said:

It sounds By Listening to a Eye Witness. It Sounds like a Go-Around Attempt Failed and then the 777 Stalled.

View PostSalem, on Jan 17 2008, 04:12 PM, said:

View PostThrottleUp, on Jan 17 2008, 10:33 AM, said:

Breaking news on BBC:

Apparently the Captain told a tow-truck driver:

"I lost all power and avionics and had to glide it in"

Anyone here happened to listen to the ATC on his scanner at the time of the accident? a distress call should have been published.

View PostWF08, on Jan 17 2008, 11:00 AM, said:

is egll closed?
I was watching Aljazeera Live, they had the footage of the 777 blocked by the A320 (as mentioned above) and I could see planes taking off (on another runway of course), seen Emirates and Swiss taking off/taxiing respectively.
The southern runway is closed though.

I listened to the ATC on my scanner it was an Emergency for the whole Approach and more than that.

We can confirm that flight BA038, a Boeing 777 arriving from Beijing, carried out an emergency landing at Heathrow Airport today at 12.42.  Heathrow's emergency services attended the scene. 136 passengers were immediately evacuated and taken to a reception centre at the airport where they have  been cared for by airport staff. Friends and family of those involved in the incident are also being cared for at the airport.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch is attending the scene.

Heathrow Airport's southern runway was closed immediately after the incident for a period of less than 2hrs and the airport operated single runway operation during that time. The southern runway re-opened for departing aircraft at 14:30 with arriving aircraft landing on the northern runway.

BAA is doing everything possible to minimise disruption to our passengers.

Passengers flying from Heathrow today should contact their airline regarding the status of their flight. Air traffic control is diverting some arriving flights to other airports on a flight by flight basis.

British Airways has issued a helpline for anybody concerned about family and friends: 0800 389 4193.

No delays, Airport Runways both open.

#47 Visionary

Visionary

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:47 AM

PPrune has obviously taken a battering!

Losing power in your landing config over heavily populated area has got to be pretty bad. Props to the crew!

#48 Salem

Salem

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:55 AM

View Postspitfir3, on Jan 17 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

Yes so far they have:

edit:

oh I see.. err theyve got some 777s (Earlier ones) with the GE's later ones with the RR's
Surely not the other way around?

#49 Lukesap

Lukesap

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

View PostSalem, on Jan 17 2008, 11:55 AM, said:

View Postspitfir3, on Jan 17 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

Yes so far they have:

edit:

Surely not the other way around?

BA uses Both GE and RR Engines. spitfir3 is correct. GE's for the earlier birds and RR for the newer birds.

#50 mark_90

mark_90

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Jan 17 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

:lol:

As far as I can see (live footage), the aircraft is still in its stopped position. These things don't just blow over in a few hours.

No delays? Several flights diverted and cancelled.

#51 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

View Postmark_90, on Jan 17 2008, 05:08 PM, said:

As far as I can see (live footage), the aircraft is still in its stopped position. These things don't just blow over in a few hours.

There is Normal Operation, Heathrows Runway is 10553feet long you could land a small plane half way down or even a 747.

Before Accident: 27L landing 27R Departure
During the 2hrs after the accident:Landing and Departing 27R
Now: 27L departures, 27R Arrivals

Edited by Heathrow Airport, 17 January 2008 - 12:18 PM.

#52 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

It sounds By Listening to a Eye Witness. It Sounds like a Go-Around Attempt Failed and then the 777 Stalled.

Breaking news on BBC:

Anyone here happened to listen to the ATC on his scanner at the time of the accident? a distress call should have been published.

is egll closed?
I was watching Aljazeera Live, they had the footage of the 777 blocked by the A320 (as mentioned above) and I could see planes taking off (on another runway of course), seen Emirates and Swiss taking off/taxiing respectively.

I listened to the ATC on my scanner it was an Emergency for the whole Approach and more than that.

We can confirm that flight BA038, a Boeing 777 arriving from Beijing, carried out an emergency landing at Heathrow Airport today at 12.42.  Heathrow's emergency services attended the scene. 136 passengers were immediately evacuated and taken to a reception centre at the airport where they have  been cared for by airport staff. Friends and family of those involved in the incident are also being cared for at the airport.

Heathrow Airport's southern runway was closed immediately after the incident for a period of less than 2hrs and the airport operated single runway operation during that time. The southern runway re-opened for departing aircraft at 14:30 with arriving aircraft landing on the northern runway.

Passengers flying from Heathrow today should contact their airline regarding the status of their flight. Air traffic control is diverting some arriving flights to other airports on a flight by flight basis.

British Airways has issued a helpline for anybody concerned about family and friends: 0800 389 4193.

"I listened to the ATC on my scanner it was an Emergency for the whole Approach and more than that." ?????????????

What did they say??? tell us man!

Suprised they didn't atleast tell the CC...

#53 JG1324

JG1324

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

View Postmark_90, on Jan 17 2008, 12:08 PM, said:

Well, They've been reporting that the runway is open for departures but not landings until the aircraft is moved

#54 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

View Postspitfir3, on Jan 17 2008, 05:14 PM, said:

Breaking news on BBC:

is egll closed?

"I listened to the ATC on my scanner it was an Emergency for the whole Approach and more than that." ?????????????

What did they say??? tell us man!

Suprised they didn't atleast tell the CC...
Ye man tell us!!

I think its best to just wait it out and see what happens, no doubt the papers will be full with utter shite tomorrow. I do like listening to the media and all the people talking about it as if they are suddenly experts its brilliant.. In the interest of speculating some more though, maybe complete engine failure and then the aircraft stalled.

#55 Origim

Origim

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

""It seemed to be flying fairly slow and it had a very high angle of attack. The nose was high up in the air, which is very unusual.""

"It came in at a very high angle and just dropped like

a stone - I would estimate 200 feet."

-BBC News witness report

Sounds like a stall.

#56 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

View PostThrottleUp, on Jan 17 2008, 03:04 PM, said:

Some gafs I just heard on the TV news...

Looks like BA have towed an A320 into place in front of the crashed 777 to block the views of the media camera-crews and the commentry went:

"Looks like a 747 is blocking our view..."
:lol: :lol: :censored: :lol:  its funny that we find the medias coverage of accidents as a stand up comedy show :hilarious: :lol: :pointnlaf:

View Postmistahimaskwa, on Jan 17 2008, 04:21 PM, said:

Just glad everyone got out ok. And also, those plane spotters work fast... :pointnlaf:
We get bored at heathrow so we wait for an incident to happen for us to be deployed; Of course if theres any fatalities we will be upset, but unfortunately we won't be able to help or do anything even if anything does go wrong

#57 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

View PostOrigim, on Jan 17 2008, 05:29 PM, said:

""It seemed to be flying fairly slow and it had a very high angle of attack. The nose was high up in the air, which is very unusual.""

"It came in at a very high angle and just dropped like

a stone - I would estimate 200 feet."

-BBC News witness report

Sounds like a stall.
"I could hear the undercarriage come out and the next moment the plane just dropped"-
Paul Venter, passenger

Ye sounds much like a stall but were there windshear reports? If so doesn't this make you drop suddenly aswell?

Edited by Max., 17 January 2008 - 12:38 PM.

#58 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:38 PM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Jan 17 2008, 05:14 PM, said:

View Postmark_90, on Jan 17 2008, 05:08 PM, said:

There is Normal Operation, Heathrows Runway is 10553feet long you could land a small plane half way down or even a 747.

Before Accident: 27L landing 27R Departure
During the 2hrs after the accident:Landing and Departing 27R
Now: 27L departures, 27R Arrivals

At lease they were within the curfew :lol:

Edited by Iranair747, 17 January 2008 - 12:43 PM.

#59 Visionary

Visionary

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

One thing for sure, I don't think the spotter will be sending their pictures to A.net just yet, more like that Australian dude with the pink hair!

#60 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Jan 17 2008, 04:46 PM, said:

Breaking news on BBC:

is egll closed?

It wasn't going around, both engines and avionics failed over hounslow and they were forced to do such a landing due to a decrease in airspeed. It will be very close to a stall, but because of the slow speed people might have thought it 'dropped like a stone'.

Tell us everything you remember about the ATC! I wish I took my airband radio with me to school today :lol:
Nothing ever interesting happens at heathrow