Peter

#43 Windowseat

Windowseat

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:28 AM

peter, ive been beta testing fex for some time now, chris invited me in, would we be able to talk about some things? say msn messenger or something?

Also, just one question...

If the whole world is being done, how many DISK/DVD media would it take, with such high resolutions?

#44 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

View PostWindowseat, on Mar 9 2008, 12:28 PM, said:

peter, ive been beta testing fex for some time now, chris invited me in, would we be able to talk about some things? say msn messenger or something?

Also, just one question...

If the whole world is being done, how many DISK/DVD media would it take, with such high resolutions?

If you are testing FEX and you have worked out how we create water you may start to get an idea how we are going to solve the size issues. We don't want to be drawn in to giving too many secrets away but it needs some lateral thinking here. Put it this way. A of the tiles will be created on the local machine in code to keep the size down.

#45 pH7

pH7

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:04 PM

PeteW
Thanks for the link you sent - stunning pics.
Regards
PeterH aka
Manuel Righter

#46 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:53 AM

Here is another honest example of where we can get with these higher resolution textures. Nothing is perfect and this shot has areas still needed to be fixed. The screen shot is not edited, there are no flashy reflections or added scenery areas.

This is simply how it looks in game.

Posted Image

Edited by Peter Wilding, 10 March 2008 - 06:54 AM.

#47 FSRobert

FSRobert

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

very very nice Peter...I am loving it all and looking forward to installing ALL of it.

Is it possible to take a few shots showing the sky along with the terrain and zoomed out. Would be nice to see how it all looks other than looking directly down.

I gotta tells ya, I open my FEX program daily to view the browser for something new. It is always my hope that a new hi res cloud theme will be ready to download or that upgrade that is coming is out...gotta love hope!

#48 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

View PostFSRobert, on Mar 10 2008, 12:54 PM, said:

very very nice Peter...I am loving it all and looking forward to installing ALL of it.

Is it possible to take a few shots showing the sky along with the terrain and zoomed out. Would be nice to see how it all looks other than looking directly down.

I gotta tells ya, I open my FEX program daily to view the browser for something new. It is always my hope that a new hi res cloud theme will be ready to download or that upgrade that is coming is out...gotta love hope!

Will do that later for you Robert. We are still in early stages of development and the more distant shots have incomplete looks that will not show things honestly most the time. I will look to do this as soon as possible. Probably within the next couple of weeks.

#49 }SkOrPn--7

}SkOrPn--7

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

Just package what you have now Peter I'm happy to fly around in that image without batting an eye lid this is really going to knock the socks of FSX and truly bring in a new meaning to simming......  :lol: :lol:

I'm intrested to know what hieght are you flying at in that image? Would luv to see a shot of the lowest you could go while still having deatail......

Edited by }SkOrPn--7, 10 March 2008 - 08:26 AM.

#50 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:45 AM

And this is the generic landclass? say for the whole of europe? its looks amazing to say the least will be interesting to see the autogen on top of it if u can get it that precise  :lol:

#51 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

View Post}SkOrPn--7, on Mar 10 2008, 01:23 PM, said:

Just package what you have now Peter I'm happy to fly around in that image without batting an eye lid this is really going to knock the socks of FSX and truly bring in a new meaning to simming......  :lol: :lol:

I'm intrested to know what hieght are you flying at in that image? Would luv to see a shot of the lowest you could go while still having deatail......

Altitude is around 300-600 AGL from memory in that show. It's low down. It stays sharp until around 250 AGL but even if you land a helicopter you can make out ground detail where at 1.2 metre it's just not possible.

View Postspam3d, on Mar 10 2008, 01:45 PM, said:

And this is the generic landclass? say for the whole of europe? its looks amazing to say the least will be interesting to see the autogen on top of it if u can get it that precise  :hrmm:

Yes, generic landclass in that shot. The beauty of our release plans is that UTX or any landclass product will work with our pacakage.  We will probably make some scenery areas to go with it also. If time permits this will be at the point of release.

Edited by Peter Wilding, 10 March 2008 - 09:07 AM.

#52 rsvette1234

rsvette1234

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

Awesome Peter  :lol:  :lol:  :hrmm:

Rich

#53 miko3d

miko3d

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hi Peter

thats looking really nice , every step towards new and improved technology has to be praised!

One thing it has always put me off from this technique (generic texture-landclasses) vs real orthophotos is the very unrealistic way Roads are added on top ,UTX uses texture encasements to "blend" a bit the road with the texture underneath, but with no much succes to me. Most of my flights looks more as if i was reading a map  of roads than "being there".... I guess there is no miracle possible as this is how the FSX engine works with landclasses, but im really worried that at this level of detail and being so close to the ground is gonna be a big issue....
Do you guy have any plan for this?

Thanks  alot and keep it up!

Mikel.

#54 mikep

mikep

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Now THIS is impressive.

#55 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

View Postmiko3d, on Mar 10 2008, 05:57 PM, said:

Hi Peter

thats looking really nice , every step towards new and improved technology has to be praised!

One thing it has always put me off from this technique (generic texture-landclasses) vs real orthophotos is the very unrealistic way Roads are added on top ,UTX uses texture encasements to "blend" a bit the road with the texture underneath, but with no much succes to me. Most of my flights looks more as if i was reading a map  of roads than "being there".... I guess there is no miracle possible as this is how the FSX engine works with landclasses, but im really worried that at this level of detail and being so close to the ground is gonna be a big issue....

Mikel.

I agree 100% and one option is we could disable the fSX roads for those that want that option. This is opposite to the way UTX works for example but on a personal level I would rather see a more realistic type of road that is embedded in to the base textures. This maybe not real but it will look more convincing. We will certainly look at this and it's something very much on our minds and some customers/users.

It will be an option of course like autogen and lighting features. The user can select what they want.

Edited by Peter Wilding, 10 March 2008 - 02:24 PM.

#56 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

View Postmikep, on Mar 10 2008, 07:12 PM, said:

Now THIS is impressive.

Thanks Mike,

I appreciate the vote of confidence.  :lol:

#57 }SkOrPn--7

}SkOrPn--7

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

View PostPeter Wilding, on Mar 10 2008, 07:23 PM, said:

View Postmiko3d, on Mar 10 2008, 05:57 PM, said:

Hi Peter

Mikel.

I agree 100% and one option is we could disable the fSX roads for those that want that option. This is opposite to the way UTX works for example but on a personal level I would rather see a more realistic type of road that is embedded in to the base textures. This maybe not real but it will look more convincing. We will certainly look at this and it's something very much on our minds and some customers/users.

It will be an option of course like autogen and lighting features. The user can select what they want.

I don't know anything about textures or how things work within FSX so reading all that I asume that for some reason FSX tries to overwrite the photoreal terrain with it's own roads and the like. If that is the case I prefer to look at scenery that is like the images you posted without any input from FSX because lets face once man has touched things you can tell so all natural for me is my vote or options like you said.

#58 fighter25

fighter25

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

Wow, you guys make it so hard! FEX, no no REX, no Fex, no wait BOTH! :lol:  
Just a stupid question, will I be able to see my house?  :lol:

Edited by fighter25, 10 March 2008 - 07:00 PM.

#59 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

Seems like I'm gonna buy this instead of FTX, now I don't know if I should buy FEX or REX (sorry Tim!). Could I also beta test? I know your email from that other post, so I could just use that. I can't wait for this, I may have to change my thoughts for the other addons!

Edited by VFRDUDE123, 10 March 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#60 ollyau

ollyau

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

Peter, did you get my email?