260 replies to this topic

#61 storminnorm

storminnorm

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

:hrmm:  I'm so glad that I bought FEX, and now I see what these two have done with the ground! :lol:   WoW, I'm pretty much speechless.  Peter and Chris will be seeing more of my money.  No question about it.   Oh and did you all know there is a FREE update coming for FEX. Yeah, it gets better!!!  :lol:  Man, I'm feelin' like a 6 year old on the night before Christmas.

Best regards,

Norm Owings

My specs:
FSX Acceleration
Add ons -
cloud9 Xclass United States,
FSG North America Terrain Mesh for FSX,
Ultimate Terrain X,
HiFi Simulation X Graphics, &
Flight Environment X
Ground Environment X

ASUS MOBO - M2N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+  2.8 GHz
Twin WD 10,000rpm 150Gig Raptors in RAID 0
2 GIGs DDR2 RAM - Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4  
One - PNY Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB Graphic Card
OS - Windows XP sp2
26" Acer monitor 1920X1200 Resolution
TrackIR 4 Pro
Saitek X52 Pro Flight System Contoller.

#62 }SkOrPn--7

}SkOrPn--7

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:46 AM

Altitude is around 300-600 AGL from memory in that show. It's low down. It stays sharp until around 250 AGL but even if you land a helicopter you can make out ground detail where at 1.2 metre it's just not possible.

That's pretty impressive I'm not too keen on auto gen it doesn't do anything for me it's like looking at cheap lego from above but then without auto gen landing and taking off looks horrid too. Be great if you could include in your program the ability to have auto gen come on when landing below a programed hieght and disable when taking off and reaching a programed hieght. This way we have the best of both worlds and while I have a rig that I can crank up all the sliders in FSX I pause and disable all auto gen or enable it when doing the above but having all that kick in with auto settings would make for a great program/experiance.

#63 mikep

mikep

Student Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

The problem with such sceneries is that it tends to get too repetitive.
What are your thoughts on it, and how are you going to deal with it ?

#64 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

View Postmikep, on Mar 11 2008, 02:11 PM, said:

The problem with such sceneries is that it tends to get too repetitive.
What are your thoughts on it, and how are you going to deal with it ?

It's a good point. One thing to consider though regarding very high resolution ground textures is that there is far more detail to look at. Yes, by nature of ground textures, like any textures will repeat to a degree. For me though the higher the detail the more interesting to look at.

#65 pH7

pH7

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

But doesn't it get quite repetetive in real life?  I've flown in many areas of the world where it was extremely boring and had a sameness about it.  Even using real world data you still may see this issue.  Just a thought! :lol:
pH

#66 falcon X

falcon X

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

View PostpH7, on Mar 11 2008, 05:51 PM, said:

But doesn't it get quite repetetive in real life?  I've flown in many areas of the world where it was extremely boring and had a sameness about it.  Even using real world data you still may see this issue.  Just a thought! :lol:
pH

Are you out of your mind? I've logged over 3.000 flight hours as a commercial pilot and I NEVER,repeat,NEVER ever saw real world scenery repetitive as it is in FSX...I understand is your opinion,but my experience with flying tells obviously otherwise...They could be similar in nature on certain areas but to say "boring" and "repetitive"? I really don't SEE so...any part of this world takes a whole new perspective when seen from above,even ugly places when down here...thats what flying is also magical about...now, FSX? please,lets not even go there in trying to compare,it looses BIG time with its REAL boring,repetitive tiles! :lol:

#67 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

View Postfalcon X, on Mar 12 2008, 02:21 AM, said:

View PostpH7, on Mar 11 2008, 05:51 PM, said:

pH

Are you out of your mind? I've logged over 3.000 flight hours as a commercial pilot and I NEVER,repeat,NEVER ever saw real world scenery repetitive as it is in FSX...I understand is your opinion,but my experience with flying tells obviously otherwise...They could be similar in nature on certain areas but to say "boring" and "repetitive"? I really don't SEE so...any part of this world takes a whole new perspective when seen from above,even ugly places when down here...thats what flying is also magical about...now, FSX? please,lets not even go there in trying to compare,it looses BIG time with its REAL boring,repetitive tiles! :hrmm:

I think he was saying that in the real world his perspective is sometimes it does seem to get much the same. I tend to agree in as much that at times you see more of what looks like things you've seen before.

I do agree though the real world does not repeat in the same obvious way the seemless tiles do.

As I'm working on the tiles now one thing that comes to mind is even when I make the master tile, the first in the set of say 7 is that because there is so much detail in there it does not seem to repeat as much. There is lots more to look and even a single tile that has a lot of deatail can keep apearing to reveal more information.

Of course I'm pretty sure once I've made the 8,000 odd tiles for the world I'll be seeing loads of repeats after thousands of hours work no doubt.  :lol:

#68 pH7

pH7

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

Falcon
There is no need to get offensive.  Mental Illness is major affliction for many people who by no fault of their own are "out of their mind".  I was merely expressing an opinion about the  sameness in some areas in the real world.  It did not impact on you in any way.  I think that whatever Peter Wilding eventually market, it will be much better than the default, better than anything we have to date and as near to the real world as it possibly can be.  Please try to be civil in your responses to other simmers who have just as much right as you to express an opinion.  
Thanks
PeterH

Edited by pH7, 11 March 2008 - 11:13 PM.

#69 falcon X

falcon X

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

View PostpH7, on Mar 12 2008, 12:11 AM, said:

Falcon
There is no need to get offensive.  Mental Illness is major affliction for many people who by no fault of their own are "out of their mind".  I was merely expressing an opinion about the  sameness in some areas in the real world.  It did not impact on you in any way.  I think that whatever Peter Wilding eventually market, it will be much better than the default, better than anything we have to date and as near to the real world as it possibly can be.  Please try to be civil in your responses to other simmers who have just as much right as you to express an opinion.  
Thanks
PeterH

pH7="There is no need to get offensive"

...I didn't get offensive...is that in my  view(and thousands of passengers and pilots),flying is just so exciting.from taxing down to the numbers to taxing to the gates back in the destination,whatever sceneries that go by are so interesting and we are ALWAYS finding something new even flying in/out of same places many times...therefore...

pH7="out of their mind"

...just a commom enough expression to define dismay...

pH7="I think that whatever Peter Wilding eventually market"

...where and when did I mentioned his work? my statements were only about your opinion.

pH7="Please try to be civil in your responses"

...show me exactly where I was not been civil in disagreement to your opinion!?  where the words that were so "uncivilized" about?

Thus,I simply will stick to freedom of expression and if the sensitivity levels are too high...well...sometimes a review of how we interpret other's point of view should come handy!..but if just saying that I didn't intent to be so "uncivil" in my response to you bothered you that much will make you feel better,ok then,I agree with you!

#70 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:33 AM

View Postfalcon X, on Mar 13 2008, 01:27 AM, said:

View PostpH7, on Mar 12 2008, 12:11 AM, said:

Falcon
Thanks
PeterH

pH7="There is no need to get offensive"

...I didn't get offensive...is that in my  view(and thousands of passengers and pilots),flying is just so exciting.from taxing down to the numbers to taxing to the gates back in the destination,whatever sceneries that go by are so interesting and we are ALWAYS finding something new even flying in/out of same places many times...therefore...

pH7="out of their mind"

...just a commom enough expression to define dismay...

pH7="I think that whatever Peter Wilding eventually market"

...where and when did I mentioned his work? my statements were only about your opinion.

pH7="Please try to be civil in your responses"

...show me exactly where I was not been civil in disagreement to your opinion!?  where the words that were so "uncivilized" about?

Thus,I simply will stick to freedom of expression and if the sensitivity levels are too high...well...sometimes a review of how we interpret other's point of view should come handy!..but if just saying that I didn't intent to be so "uncivil" in my response to you bothered you that much will make you feel better,ok then,I agree with you!

I think Falcon, that PH was reacting to the bit you start with "are you out of your mind..." Some people could interpret that as offensive

(it's not really polite to say or infer that anyone is out of their mind. You have to remember here this is an internationl forum and thus some people would tanslate the statement differently than the local "slang" language means. There are even major differences between use of English between the USA and the UK and Austraillia. There are also differences btween age groups and culture. Some people say that's "Bad" when it really means good. Others say "are you crazy to their friends in speech but this is probably a younger way of speaking. A lot of people on this forum are retired gentelmen who are used to speaking a very upper crust "correct" English)

....and that's a simply subjective observation. Personally, I don't think you intended to be offensive. You are though getting yourself in to a little bit of a wind up here, and you don't need to be, and seem to be commenting on peoples views rather than the subject of the textures.

So I'll field the question, "What do you think of the higher resolution textures?" Good bad or ugly what do you think?

Peter :lol:

#71 Windowseat

Windowseat

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:37 AM

I have a few questions;

where are you going to get the "WORLD" under this high quality ?

how many CDS/DVDS are going to be shipped out?

How many TBytes will this take up?

Are you really sure the world can be done within a year? thats a little high hope surely?

#72 LeadBalloon

LeadBalloon

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:42 AM

View PostPeter Wilding, on Mar 13 2008, 05:33 AM, said:

A lot of people on this forum are retired gentelmen who are used to speaking a very upper crust "correct" English.

That creates a very amusing image peter...all sipping cups of tea out of fine china, whilst keeping a firm grip on their joystick presumably :lol:

#73 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

To be fair, the tiles repeat and in the real world u never get the same repetativeness (obviously), its deffinately a good thing  peter and it looks brilliant, people need to face the fact that the default scenery tiles will repeat and should concerntrate on the sharpness that can be acheived. it makes a great difference in what were flying with now (and i feel the ground textures are good now) get some autogen on there for us to see!!  :lol:

oh and windowseat had some good questions too, im sure these tiles are goona take up a :lol: load of space.

Edited by spam3d, 13 March 2008 - 07:45 AM.

#74 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

View Postspam3d, on Mar 13 2008, 12:44 PM, said:

To be fair, the tiles repeat and in the real world u never get the same repetativeness (obviously), its deffinately a good thing  peter and it looks brilliant, people need to face the fact that the default scenery tiles will repeat and should concerntrate on the sharpness that can be acheived. it makes a great difference in what were flying with now (and i feel the ground textures are good now) get some autogen on there for us to see!!  :lol:

oh and windowseat had some good questions too, im sure these tiles are goona take up a :lol: load of space.

Now we have secrets and if we say how we'll deliver this to market we let the competitors know.

Chris is very clever and perhaps what makes me clever is working with guys like Chris.

Now, we have devloped code in FEX that is all about keeping the download much smaller than would be needed if we supplied fully made up tiles for water. Some of these ideas and other ideas will allow us to keep the download size much smaller than expected.

We can easilly complete the world in less than a year.

Don't worry about any of this and please keep in mind we don't want competitors to learn all our secrets on day one.

Some new shots.

First one note the playing field. You can actually see the people down there.

Posted Image

Second one, those glassy building are very typical in farms in Europe due to the colder weather. We call them a green house.

Posted Image

#75 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

View PostLeadBalloon, on Mar 13 2008, 10:42 AM, said:

View PostPeter Wilding, on Mar 13 2008, 05:33 AM, said:

A lot of people on this forum are retired gentelmen who are used to speaking a very upper crust "correct" English.

That creates a very amusing image peter...all sipping cups of tea out of fine china, whilst keeping a firm grip on their joystick presumably :lol:

Or a beer.     :lol:

#76 Windowseat

Windowseat

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:45 AM

Peter...

What are the pricing going to be, will it be separate countries or would it be a whole world?

#77 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

View PostWindowseat, on Mar 13 2008, 02:45 PM, said:

Peter...

What are the pricing going to be, will it be separate countries or would it be a whole world?

There will be a range of prices to suit the customer needs. There will be different options size wise and region wise.

#78 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

One question: if it's such a high resolution, our moniters won't be able to display it fully (full detail), right?

#79 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

View PostVFRDUDE123, on Mar 13 2008, 09:30 PM, said:

One question: if it's such a high resolution, our moniters won't be able to display it fully (full detail), right?

I've only got a 19" monitor at 1200x1024 and it works just fine for me.

Screen resolution is different to texture resolution. 4096 displays 1 pixel=30 cm.

1024 1 pixel = 120 cm

It's a squared relationship so 4096 is 16 times the detail.

Texture resolution is all about detail.

The higher the resolution the more detail though it is dependent on the orignial image. All things being equal though the higher resolution will always look better.

Peter

#80 falcon X

falcon X

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

View PostPeter Wilding, on Mar 13 2008, 06:33 AM, said:

So I'll field the question, "What do you think of the higher resolution textures?" Good bad or ugly what do you think?

Peter :lol:

I think is very,very amazing! What a surprise you gave us! It gives ,somehow,an added 3D feeling to it! Now,I know it must have been asked/commented before: how autogen will play with it? I really love lots of dense autogen,and having it with these wonderfull Hi-Res textures would be a blast! :lol: