11 replies to this topic

#1 DesertHeat90

DesertHeat90

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

I'm using the WOAI AI package. I'm running into a problem with cargo planes. They seem to park at the gates instead of the cargo spots. I have the parking type as this,  atc_parking_types=CARGO, for all cargo planes. For example, I am using FlyTampa's Dubai with the included AFCAD, and I see a Emirates 744F and Atlas Air 744 at the gates. There are open cargo spots that other cargo airlines correctly go to, so its random.

Any way to make it where any cargo plane goes to the cargo spot or ramp only?

#2 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

Do you also have entries at atc_parking_codes for each aircraft, giving a more precise parking allocation?

#3 DesertHeat90

DesertHeat90

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

What exactly do you mean? All of the aircraft that I have have their own entry for atc parking types.

#4 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:42 PM

View PostDesertHeat90, on Mar 8 2008, 06:41 PM, said:

What exactly do you mean? All of the aircraft that I have have their own entry for atc parking types.

If you play with AFCAD and select a park, right click for its properties. You will see it has a "parking type" (e.g. "Gate Heavy" or "Ramp Cargo").

Look at the aircraft.cfg for your aircraft, and compare the [fltsim.XX] entries. They have a corresponding line for each of the above, namely atc_parking_types (which is what you mentioned using to define a cargo type of park) and atc_parking_codes which identifies a particular airline, freight service, military unit or pretty much any specific user, e.g.;
atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP
atc_parking_codes=AFR

You can assign a parking code (or codes) to a space in AFCAD. You can add that code either manually to an individual paint (in the [fltsim.XX] entry) or by using Tools/Aircraft Editor in AFCAD).

AFCAD includes a heap of codes, which will probably include the particular services you are interested in. You can add your own, with care. The AFCAD manual has more info. Adding a parking code may be enough to solve your issue but the manual will tell you other factors as well which might make a difference.

Edited by johnfromoz, 08 March 2008 - 09:44 PM.

#5 DesertHeat90

DesertHeat90

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

View Postjohnfromoz, on Mar 8 2008, 10:42 PM, said:

View PostDesertHeat90, on Mar 8 2008, 06:41 PM, said:

If you play with AFCAD and select a park, right click for its properties. You will see it has a "parking type" (e.g. "Gate Heavy" or "Ramp Cargo").

Look at the aircraft.cfg for your aircraft, and compare the [fltsim.XX] entries. They have a corresponding line for each of the above, namely atc_parking_types (which is what you mentioned using to define a cargo type of park) and atc_parking_codes which identifies a particular airline, freight service, military unit or pretty much any specific user, e.g.;
atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP
atc_parking_codes=AFR

You can assign a parking code (or codes) to a space in AFCAD. You can add that code either manually to an individual paint (in the [fltsim.XX] entry) or by using Tools/Aircraft Editor in AFCAD).

AFCAD includes a heap of codes, which will probably include the particular services you are interested in. You can add your own, with care. The AFCAD manual has more info. Adding a parking code may be enough to solve your issue but the manual will tell you other factors as well which might make a difference.

Is there a good afcad program for this?

#6 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

View PostDesertHeat90, on Mar 9 2008, 12:48 PM, said:

Is there a good afcad program for this?

:lol:
Yes. It's the name of the program - AFCAD. It's by Lee Swordy. Make sure you get the right one, one's for FS2002, one's for FS2004.
All the main download sites have it, narrow your search if necessary by looking in their utilities area (or whatever they may call it).
Try the downloads tab at the top of this page, type into the search (at the left) "afcad swordy" (without quotes) and you will get the FS2004 version.
(Anyone who has FSX will be looking for a payware program, forget the name but its banner is usually on top of the download pages at AVSIM.)

#7 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

I also overlooked mentioning the obvious - if you explore the subforums (top of this forum's main page) you will find, in FS Development, an AFCAD forum which may help. On that forum this is a sticky.

#8 DesertHeat90

DesertHeat90

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

I got the AFCAD program, thanks. I opened up dubai and it seems that all the cargo spots are under the parking type " Ramp Cargo". If in the flightsim entries, I change all cargo planes to have the same parking type, Ramp Cargo, then it should work because it matches the AFCAD exactly.

#9 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:50 PM

View PostDesertHeat90, on Mar 10 2008, 05:34 PM, said:

I got the AFCAD program, thanks. I opened up dubai and it seems that all the cargo spots are under the parking type " Ramp Cargo". If in the flightsim entries, I change all cargo planes to have the same parking type, Ramp Cargo, then it should work because it matches the AFCAD exactly.
It may be enough. If not, go a step further and allocate parking codes to the aircraft and the parks. You can list several codes for parking types for each park. Let's say for example FDX, UPS, DHL (or whatever the codes are); but listed in different orders so the first listed will be where that one freighter line parks mostly. If there's space, it's wise to have one or two with no codes, just a "Ramp Cargo" parking type, to cater for overflow and odd aircraft you forgot to code.

#10 DesertHeat90

DesertHeat90

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:52 PM

View Postjohnfromoz, on Mar 10 2008, 05:50 PM, said:

View PostDesertHeat90, on Mar 10 2008, 05:34 PM, said:

It may be enough. If not, go a step further and allocate parking codes to the aircraft and the parks. You can list several codes for parking types for each park. Let's say for example FDX, UPS, DHL (or whatever the codes are); but listed in different orders so the first listed will be where that one freighter line parks mostly. If there's space, it's wise to have one or two with no codes, just a "Ramp Cargo" parking type, to cater for overflow and odd aircraft you forgot to code.

Well I looked at the afcad and flytampa has alreay set most of the cargo airlines to the cargo spots using the codes. But it's inconsistant. Sometimes a Atlas 747 parks at the cargo area, other times it's at the gates. Same problem with the Emirates 747. Fortunately, only these two airlines I have seen at the gates, all the rest go to cargo or ramp.

#11 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:21 PM

Have the problem aircraft like Atlas Cargo been assigned parking types and parking codes? Check the [fltsim.XX] entry for the Atlas paint, looking for lines like

atc_parking_types=RAMP CARGO
atc_parking_codes=ATL (or whatever their code is).

If "RAMP CARGO" is missing, maybe just adding that will fix it, and if not, then worry about parking code.

#12 TJC

TJC

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:50 PM

View Postjohnfromoz, on Mar 11 2008, 07:21 PM, said:

Have the problem aircraft like Atlas Cargo been assigned parking types and parking codes? Check the [fltsim.XX] entry for the Atlas paint, looking for lines like

atc_parking_types=RAMP CARGO
atc_parking_codes=ATL (or whatever their code is).

If "RAMP CARGO" is missing, maybe just adding that will fix it, and if not, then worry about parking code.
Can I make a suggestion.
Drop the RAMP part from the parking codes title.
I have all my Cargo aircraft parking codes simply set at CARGO.

If the RAMP part is still there they will also use any ramp position that might be available. Fine a a big airport where there might possibly be a cargo aircraft abeing parked at the ramp for a very short period of time, but in the case of smaller airports where there is no airbridges at the terminal, the same area that can be classified as GATE could also class as RAMP, therefore getting a cargo flight parked in front of the terminal.

You might also need to check the parking code size.
If you have an airport the size of East Midlands for example, any cargo aircraft can generally be classed as the bigger type.
Most of the aircraft parked in the terminal area will be in the B737/A320 size or smaller so make sure most of the parking
positions are of the size to handle them alone.
All this information can be found in the readme for the AFCAD program.

I have uploaded 2 AFCAD's on Avsim if you want to look over them, af2_einn_230195.zip for Shannon and af2_eggw.zip for the Simflyers Luton.