• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

This new sub-forum is going to be an exciting place.  I look forward to trying out many of the flights that have already been posted.  For the sake of keeping this sub-forum as useful as possible, I think there should be a few things implemented that might help people find a new place to fly over the long run.

Please feel free to post your comments, questions and suggestions under this thread.   Here are my comments from the git-go:

1) Post you comments / questions under this thread.  Let's keep everything posted to this sub-forum strictly a flight, flight plan, screen shots etc.

2) Please conform to the format that FSW has established for us.  If we need to make changes down the road for the sub-forum to be more useful - we will explore such options

3) Given that we currently don't have specific sub-groups for each type of flight that someone may generate -
It's my belief that the subject line itself will help delineate each type of flight each poster is trying to convey.  What does this mean - it means that we need to come up with a subject line standard that will help users identify a type of flight that may be of interest to them.

I think the subject line should include ICAO Code | Duration of Flight | Jet or GA
I think the description line should include Scenic Location | Difficult Whatever | Fun Flight Plan or anything else that will be descriptive and useful to the user.

I am thinking toward the future - if there are a 1000 flights, how do you find something to fly?  I am not trying to clamp down on the freedoms of the sub-forum.  The point is we get out what we put in.  Let's keep a tight ship and make this sub-forum all that it can be.

Again, welcome and I can't wait to see what I see!

Bman.

Edited by Bman., 12 March 2008 - 05:48 PM.

#2 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

Under the Flight Time format, I believe it should be changed to Duration of Flight. This way the difference between "Time the flight is flown" between "The amount of time that flight will take" is distinctly seen, causing no confusion. As it did me. :lol:

Edited by cfschris, 12 March 2008 - 05:36 PM.

#3 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Another suggestion: I'm seeing that some of the posters don't know where to upload their flight plan for download. Having a flight plan is crucial, especially if its a sight-seeing flight (those generally involve going off the flown airways). I found a good website to upload flight plans and to download them from- http://www.filefactory.com//
You can get a free basic account, with up to 200 gig storage and up to 300mb file sizes. Free!

Chris

#4 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Chris

1) I don't know what I was thinking - yes, Duration of Flight is what I had in mind.

2) I agree.  However, a flight plan is only going to be crucial if flying IFR.   Are you referring to specific .pln files?

Edited by Bman., 12 March 2008 - 08:37 PM.

#5 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

I agree with cfschris. I think there should be a link to download file plans for IFR flights.

#6 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

View PostBman., on Mar 12 2008, 09:36 PM, said:

Are you referring to specific .pln files?

Yup. All I did for my flight plan was I pulled it from my fsx directory and uploaded it to that website I mentioned. But, as mentioned in the nuts and bolts thread, it would be VERY nice to be able to click the flight plan and download immediately from FSW itself. People aren't always to eager about going to other websites for downloads (virus fears, adware, popup, ect ect ect ect.)

#7 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

Yeah. Especially considering flight plans are <10kb. The max image upload is 256kb. thats equivalent to at least 25 flight plans or so.

#8 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

Ah yes Bman, I think you thought that I meant for you to edit your post to read Duration of Flight. I meant to change the format of new threads (you know, where the templates are set up for you when making a new thread in this sub-forum), to change Flight time to Duration.

Edited by cfschris, 12 March 2008 - 08:58 PM.

#9 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

That is what I thought you meant - I didn't realize the template was also calling out Flight Time versus Duration of Flight
I think we should have

Duration of Flight:
Time of Day:

Regarding downloadable flight plans I don't think it should be required but it's a good idea.  I think if we make it too much effort for folks to post their flights many won't do it.  I will see what we can do.

Bman.

#10 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:11 PM

View PostBman., on Mar 12 2008, 06:12 PM, said:

I think the subject line should include ICAO Code | Duration of Flight | Jet or GA
I think the description line should include Scenic Location | Difficult Whatever | Fun Flight Plan or anything else that will be descriptive and useful to the user.

I don't think this is quite a good idea, as it could make a very fun and exciting flight seem dull and boring. People will still be able to find places to fly by searching fine, if not better, if subject lines and descriptions are put in the way users want. See, all the info is put on the inside of the post, so flights can still be found by search easily. The outside title of the post needs to be an eye-catcher!

#11 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

I see what you are getting at and agree but...

I just hope there can be some type of framework as I don't want to have to search every post to find a 45 minute hop.  This is going to be even more evident when there are a lot of flights posted.  A willie nillie naming subject naming is only going to exacerbate the issue.

I would say at a minimum it should include the duration - perhaps in the description.

Edited by Bman., 13 March 2008 - 08:19 PM.

#12 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

View PostBman., on Mar 13 2008, 05:37 PM, said:

I see what you are getting at and agfee but...
I don't want to have to search every post to find a 45 minute hop.

You won't have to though. See, on the inside of the post under "Duration of Flight", the poster will put "00:45" or "45 minutes"

Simply search for the number 45, minutes, 00:45, or hop  (or all! :lol:) and voila, you have your 45 minute hops!

Edited by cfschris, 13 March 2008 - 06:07 PM.

#13 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

What if they put :44 minutes or 00:46 minutes or...  so not only do you have an extra step - searching itself.  Then you also have to make the assumption that someone has listed their flight as 45 minutes versus any other digit they decide the Duration to be. A simple (:45) at the beginning or the subject or description would be sufficient and it wouldn't kill anything related to the creativity.

Bman.

Edited by Bman., 13 March 2008 - 08:29 PM.

#14 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

View PostBman., on Mar 13 2008, 09:18 PM, said:

A simple (:45) at the beginning or the subject or description would be sufficient and it wouldn't kill anything related to the the creativity.

Agreed- good idea. I just don't think it would be a good idea to have the titles and descriptions totally ICAOs and Numbers. Creativity is a must for attention-grabbing.

#15 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

I agree - the creativity is key and the exciting part of this sub-forum.  I think Duration of Flight alone will be enough to pique my interest.  Whatever lies beneath the subject I will take if the time factor works for my schedule.

Bman.

#16 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

Here is what I think the title should include (not in any particular order I guess):
Airport names or ICAO codes (so people know where to go), duration of flight (the length it lasts so it gets easier to find a flight you want to do), what kind of plane (so people don't take a GA plane out on a flight that is supposed to last 1 hour but ends up lasting 3+).
I think that in the description, users should include (once again, not in any particular order):
Type of location (country, mountains, open fields, something like that), difficulty of flight (would it be easy for a beginner, or would you need some experience for the type of flight), IFR or VFR (self explanatory, is the flight VFR or IFR or if you can do it either way).

As for the downloading flight plan thing, I have been talking to (SH)Iceman about it since he has a server. He said he is willing to dedicate server space so people can download flight plans. No, his site doesnt have viruses or anything. And the flight plans won't get deleted after a while, so if in a year or 6 months or whatever, if someone is looking at the last page, they will be able to download a flight plan if nobody has downloaded it in a while.

#17 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

Where can we make requests for flight plans and types of flights...