3 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1966

mjl1966

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

With a few airports I've downloaded, I've come across some serious traffic flow problems.  My latest was with a KLGA AFCAD airport I downloaded from Avsim.  I use Ultimate Traffic, so there are times when there is a lot of traffic that has to be handled.  This is just one example.  In general, I notice the following problems:

1.  Sequencing.  ATC will bring in a lot of arrivals without providing spacing to interleave departures.  Net result is many departures time out and I sit in line for 1.5 hours (no exhaggeration.)  

2.  Spacing.  Arrivals will come in very close to each other so that every other one has to do a goaround.  I've also seen the case where arrivals practically land on top of each other.  

The last time I had this problem (I forget which airport - it was before the same thing happened at KLGA), I switched back to the FS default airport and the problems were abated a great deal.  My 1.5 hours went down to 40 minutes.  Still a long wait, but much better.

Because of the difference between the default and an AFCAD version of the same airport, it seems that perhaps there is something in AFCAD that has some affect on this problem.

Are there things I can do in AFCAD to help address these problems or is this strictly an unrelated ATC problem?

#2 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

My first thoughts are that the aircraft arrive and leave per schedule, which is not related to AFCAD. Are you noticing this problem when you fire up FS and go straight to this airport?

Reason I ask is that when you start up a flight FS will initiate all the traffic movement for the preceding 10-15 minutes, and at a big airport that's a lot of metal. Were you to park for a while (planespotting!) it should settle down. If you flew in from a nearby airfield it should likewise sort itself out during your travel time.

All I can think of that AFCAD would do is perhaps provide different taxy distances from different gates which may add up to changes in the lineup for departure, for better or worse, but the only effect on arrivals might be that some will go around because of traffic already on the runway.

When you are at the back of a long lineup, have you considered dropping your traffic density down, moving to the front, then cranking it back up (after you are cleared to takeoff, or you won't get a word in edgewise)?  :lol:

Edited by johnfromoz, 23 April 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#3 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

Ai smooth (can be found on avsim) is a great tool for sorting incoming traffic out it will slow the ai aircraft down, space them and even put them in holding patterns, as for your ground problem i also had this with klas airport with just 25R for takeoff, but did get another afcad where it uses 19R + L and the normal 25R, as i see it it puts the aircraft on the closest runway to the gate its at, this helped loads but im not sure how to comfigure an afcad to use all runways, hope this helps a bit

Edited by spam3d, 24 April 2008 - 08:45 AM.

#4 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

Not an AFCAD problem; traffic problem.  There are several programs available (freeware & payware) that you can use to modify the flightplans; you can also use FltSim's built in AI manager ... simply lower the %age of AI traffic in your setup.