- - - - -

Around a Country - A Relay Flight

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you be interested in being part of The Relay?

Would you be interested in being part of The Relay?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

Afternoon all-

I have been thinking about ways to get more interest on this sub-forum.  One idea that has surfaced was a relay type of event that would be specific to a country - one country at a time.  Once a country has been explored, we'll move on to the next country.  

Each volunteer will be responsible for flying a leg of the relay that they sign up for.  The following leg can not be flown or posted until the previous flight has been completed.  Each volunteer would then be responsible for posting that leg of the flight with the the standard items and a few pictures.

How I see this working is something like this:

- Establish a route (start with US)
- Legs of the route should not be more than 200 miles (the point is to fly in scenic places so, 200 mile legs should work)
- Pilots sign up slots to fly
- Pilots post their flight here

I figure simple is better and this will be a good way to build a database of what a specific region to fly. I will see if we can get a sub-forum to post all of the flights associated with a specific country.

I don't anticipate this being a quick activity but something more like a long journey of exploration - country by country.  This will be similar to a "around the world" flight but with a little more detail and documentation.

Vote if you would like to participate.  

Bman.

#2 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

This sounds like good stuff Bman!

Except I think it would be even better if we did it on multiplayer, in a large group. Have a schedule of flight times for legs, and then we could all fly them at the same time. That would be so much fun!

#3 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

I am down with the multiplayer for sure. However, it seems it's always tough for me to match the times of others.

However it's done, I think this would be a good way to get the database going.  Perhaps, if we do the First 1000 miles tour of a country then move to another and sort of rotate the countries.  We could pick up where we left off...

Throw a dart on google earth - where should we start?

#4 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

Yes, it sounds like fun, but it is very busy. I think we should wait until mid june or so to start so at least most if not all the people in the US who are members have a little more free time. I know I am going to be very busy for the next 5 weks until my school is out.

#5 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:22 PM

This is why I was originally considering hop schedules - those that could do it, great, those that couldn't make it, they could fill in a blank spot.
In fact it would almost be cool if we could have a check out system of sorts.  Have the route in place and if you have time to fly, see if the leg is underway or taken.  If it is, wait for the next open leg.  However, chances are it would be open and you could just take off.

Hmm.

#6 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

I vote yes :lol:

#7 Chief NWA

Chief NWA

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

YES!
sounds like a fun and exciting idea! :lol:

#8 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:32 AM

I need to get some time to put together a route.  I am thinking that I will plan about 10 legs out at the most and just let the sim take me where it wants.

Bman

#9 ollyau

ollyau

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:09 AM

I would, but now I don't have very much time to fly in FSX, so can I have a short flight please (less than an hour).  And also, about after an hour of flying, FSX crashes and encounters a "fatal error".

#10 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

When is this going in effect, Bman? If you need help setting it up or something, don't hesitate to ask me......I love multiplayer flying!

#11 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:12 AM

Have you forgotten about your forum so soon, Bman? :lol:

Or maybe you're just busy. If so, excuse me!

#12 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

Haa - no no - I haven't forgotten this sweet sweet forum!  Are you kidding me, it's the first thing I check when I get to work!  Email and phone messages always wait until after I have done my browsing here.  I have been busy day dreaming all the flying time time that Jon (Frederiksen) gets.  I guess retired life does that for you!

Busy yes - not too busy to think about it.  I haven't flown in 4 or 5 days.  

So let's talk about our relay a little more seriously here...  what are we going to do...how are we going to do it?  

Here is what I think:

- Start in Alaska

- Work our way to the east to west  

- The more GA craft (or say sub FL180) the better for scenery purposes

- Flight should be 1.5 hours or less

- All chart should be linked (airnav etc)

- VFR or made up IFR routes are both fine (no necessarily IMC conditions)

- If your flight is done on Vatsim, great.  A link to Vataware would be nice so it can be seen on a map

What else should we do and consider?  Are we going solo on each leg...voluntary multi on gamespy?

Bman.

#13 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:08 PM

View PostBman., on May 30 2008, 09:25 AM, said:

- Start in Alaska

:lol: X 2 to that. Alaska is filled with beautiful default scenery!

- Work our way to the east to west

To tell the truth, I think we should work our way west to east instead. Cross Asia! I *literally* have never flown GA in Asia. Its always just been a crossing-over landmass. Lets explore the true wilderness!

- The more GA craft (or say sub FL180) the better for scenery purposes

Heck, I'd say GA only.....it seems more of a journey, that way. Commercial aircraft? We'd finish the cross country route in less than 2 days!

- Flight should be 1.5 hours or less

How about just 1 hour? That would let alot more people fly the whole thing.

Anyways, those are my suggested changes to those suggestions.

On the voluntary multi subject, I think it would be great if we had the longer legs in multiplayer, and then shorter ones up for volunteers to grab.

Also, a leg should not be allowed to be flown without the one before it being done first! Nice and orderly that way. And it'll give a sort of drive, if you want to get to somewhere new.

Last suggestion: Pictures mandatory! Or else you could just lie about flying the route.

Lets get this thing flying!

Edited by cfschris, 30 May 2008 - 04:10 PM.

#14 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

I like all of those suggestions.

Regarding the pictures - of course, that's the point.  It needs to be documented ... and well documented!

More later tonight when I get out of the office.

#15 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

Evening all -

Franthree got me thinking about a different approach to the "Around A Country" tour.  I am thinking now that perhaps we should start and stop in any order as long as we stay within the borders.  The goal would be to accumulate a minimum of 30 legs+ with in a country / continent / major region before we move on to another location.

The reason I contemplate this change is that for example tonight I don't want to kick off from AK71 - I want to start and explore another region of in this case - a very large state.  

Thoughts?

#16 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:06 AM

Sounds good to me, although you may want to cut back a bit on that number of flights in one area, to keep things fresh.

And are you gonna work out the route or something? Or shall we recruit someone with more free time?

#17 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

That's what I am getting at - there would be not route really - just 30 hops from one place to another in a particular region.  I don't think it would take long to get 30 (assuming there aren't three of us doing it).

If you like to gather say 10 routes in Alaska, I will work on another few as well.

Regarding a pinned topic - it would be nice to have another sub-folder for these explorations.   I am afraid that one pinned topic would begin to lose the idea of finding someplace to fly.

Bman.

#18 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:21 PM

:lol: Forum still alive? someone has too fly leg 4. My King Air has water pump problems :lol: --Hint--like to see flight somewhere around the Juneau area---BMAN?

#19 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:44 PM

View Postfranthree, on Jun 5 2008, 07:21 PM, said:

:lol: Forum still alive? someone has too fly leg 4. My King Air has water pump problems :lol: --Hint--like to see flight somewhere around the Juneau area---BMAN?

Now that I'm finally out for summer, I VOLUNTEER!

To Juneau it is!

#20 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

Great :lol: what plane is good?

fs9 has the amphibian that good for alsaka :lol: