18 replies to this topic

#1 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

Configuring Ports and Connecting FSX for Multiplayer on FSHOST servers.

Looking around this forum I have noticed that there has been a lot of issues with the FlightSimWorld Server. This is not because of the server having connection problems but because users do not have the correct ports open. When users have the incorrect ports open issues will occur.
(EX: getting bumped off, not being able to get on, losing connection at random times, and being kicked when another player joins)

Look at portforward.com for information on configuring your router.

Dial-up users may also experience some issues while connecting, disconnecting and being on because of the slower connection.

FS2002: Open these ports

-  TCP port 47624
    -  UDP ports 2300 to 2400 all of them (set a range)

FS2004: Open these ports
    -UDP port 23456
    -UDP port 6073
    -UDP ports 2302 to 2400 (open the whole range, Not necessary if the ports are already open from FS2002)

FSX: Open these ports
    -UDP port 23456
    -UDP port 6073
    -UDP ports 2302 to 2400 (open the whole range, Not necessary if the ports are already open from FS2002 or FS2004)
    -UDP ports 6112 to 6122 (open the whole range). Bman Edit (7/23/2009) - I have added this port range since this is the default FSX ports listed under the multiplayer host ranges.   I am not sure why MS has not documented this under their FSX multiplayer help.

FSNAVIGATOR: Open these ports
    -UDP port 23432
    -UDP port 6073
    -UDP port 23456

Once that is done download the FS PORT TEST Tool and run it. Make sure that Flight Simulator is not running.

Special for FSX: For FSX you will an additional tool to connect to the FlightSimWorld Server (or any FSHOST server).
    -FSHOST CLIENT
    -First download Extract the above program to your computer. The program need no installation just extract and run.
    -Open FSX and make sure it is in "Windowed Mode."  
    -Then Start the program.
    -Set the AI traffic to 0%.
    -Now to see players names over the aircraft you need to enable a few features.
        -Navigate to the traffic tab.
        -Turn on "aircraft labels" and make sure that "Tail Number" is checked, otherwise you will not see the names above the players plane.
    -To connect, use the FSHostClient window and click the Multiplayer menu and select "Connect to session."
    -Or start a flight (in FSX) then click the Add-ons menu, select FSHostClient, and then "Multiplayer Connect."    
    -Do the same thing as above to disconnect only click "Multiplayer Disconnect."

Turn down you FPS:
FSHOST sends data to each and every computer that is connected to it for each frame and vice-versa. Each computer also sends data to the other computers for every frame. It is recommended that you lock your frames somewhere between 20 and 30 FPS (I have have mine locked in at 26) as the human eye can only see about 27. This will improve the servers stability, cut down on lagging and increase FS's performance during Multiplayer.

For More Information visit the following websites

- On FSHOST
    - On FS Port Test
    - On FSHOST Client (Connecting FSX)

Hope this helps, Alaska.

Edited by Bman., 23 July 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#2 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:56 PM

Great. Needs pinning.

#3 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

Agreed as one that has struggled through connecting in a multitude of ways....  it would be nice to have one cohesive collection to connect both to FSW.com, Vatsim, IVAO and Local Area

This is a good start.

Bman.

#4 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

Thank you , I saw your post Bman and thought about it. then I saw many other users complaining and thought it would be nice to compile something.

Although I don't fly Vatsim or IVAO (I might in the future). I might be able to set one up for local game play.

Edited by Alaska MD-83, 17 July 2008 - 05:29 PM.

#5 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

What I think needs to happen with everything that is in the pinned post - verify it.  

I think the last thing that we want to do is lead people down the wrong road.  I know that these ports are correct as these are the same ports that I have opened previously. So, if you can get another user on board and verify that these ports, work under "x" conditions... then it would be helpful.

Bman.

#6 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:07 AM

Hmm - here is the issue I am having.  Any one know what to try next?

I can connect to all the servers listed in Gamespy and Vatsim no problem.
I have port 23456, 6073, 3202-3400
All are routed to the correct port in my network.

I can not seem to direct connect via IP to any games listed on FSHostSpy

So, connection through gamespy no problem - via direct IP...not happening

XP + SP3
FSX +SP2 (Accel)

#7 ollyau

ollyau

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:19 AM

Does this knoledge base article help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925896

'Microsoft Knoledge Base Article 925896' said:

INTRODUCTION
This article describes the ports that you must open in Microsoft Windows Firewall to play or to host a Microsoft Flight Simulator X multiplayer game. Additionally, this article describes the advantages of enabling UPnP. This article also lists the port addresses that must be open on computers that are not running Windows Firewall but instead are using a proxy server, a router, Network Address Translation (NAT), or Internet Connection Sharing.

The ports that you must open for multiplayer games are as follows:

Port Protocol Inbound / Outbound
23456 UDP Both
6073 UDP Both

'Microsoft Knoledge Base Article 925896' said:

Port listing
If you do not use the Windows Firewall program, you can still open the ports that are used by Flight Simulator X when you configure the network. To make sure that these ports are open or to open these ports, contact the network administrator or your Internet service provider (ISP). If you are the administrator of the network, view the documentation that is provided with your networking software to determine how to open these ports. The following list explains the port configuration specifications for the game: • Port forwarding must be enabled on the UDP ports that are in the range of 2300 to 2400 from the router to the computer that is hosting the game.
• Incoming and outgoing traffic must be configured for the following GameSpy ports:
• 6667 (IRC)
• 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
• 28900 (Master Server List Request)
• 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
• 29901 (GP Search Manager)
• 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
• 6515 (Dplay UDP)
• 6500 (Query Port)

#8 David_Lee_Roth

David_Lee_Roth

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

Also, don't just forward the UDP ports, forward them as TCP also, as I know games where if it can't connect to your port, it goes to TCP directly.

Also, here's a tutorial to get onto vatsim:

1. Go to http://vatsim.net/ and register, keep your information in a notepad file
2. Download SquawkBox 3 for your version of FS, install it, but before that, make sure you have FSUIPC in your Modules folder.
3. Turn on FS2004 (or whatever version you're in).
4. File a flight plan in FS, for the flight plan that you'll be doing on vatsim, just get it set up and make sure you aren't on the runway.
5. When you're in-game, in the squawkbox box, go to file-> connect, enter your PW and ID and select a server to go on.
6. Get a few plane selections ready in the "select aircraft" list.
7. When connected, go to file -> File flight plan, and enter your flight plan along with the info about it and the plane you're using.
8. Listen to the ATC on what to do during the flight.

If I missed something there, tell me :hrmm:

#9 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:50 AM

Yeah, all of my ports are set to "Both" - TCP and UDP.

I have covered everything on the Microsoft thread as well....

Trult stumped on this one!

#10 David_Lee_Roth

David_Lee_Roth

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:58 AM

Did you set yourself a static IP? Right click your internet connection -> status -> TCP IP -> Properties, if it says Auto on either of them, then there's no static IP.

#11 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:41 PM

Walk me through it.  No I haven't set up a static IP address - should I ?

I have two computers on one network running through a linksys WRT45G router.
A printer and a scanner are also shared on the network.

I run IP2.exe to check the current IP address for this computer and it does jump around bettween 101, 102 and 103 depending on the boot up of the various components.  So, to set up a static IP address for this machine sounds reasonable.   Currently I have my ports forwarded to what the ipconfig tells me the computer is currently running...

Currently a static IP is not set up..

#12 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

A static IP is your External IP Address, something like 76.128.68.76. The Internal IP address is the Address like 192.168.1.101. The Internal Ip (192.168.1.etc) will change whenever a computer connects to the Router (like when your computer turns on). The external should not change unless your Modem is reset. The modem connects out to the internet. Some Modems also have built in Routers.  Check your External IP address at http://whatsmyip.org/. This is what the FSHOST Servers see. For Example Mine is 76.173.2X.XX (the X represent Numbers that I don't want you to see for my own privacy). BMAN, you have the Router by Linkseys but you should also have a modem. Connect a computer to the modem directly and then configure the ports on the modem. I am not sure what your modem is so I cannot give yoiu the step by step instructions. Although If you do tell me what type of modem it is I Should be able to help. Also run the FSPOSTTEST tool and post the results.

The tutorial is for FSHOST servers and I have been testing it on my own (though without SP2 and Acceleration) and I haven't had a problem yet.

Edited by Alaska MD-83, 26 July 2008 - 01:00 PM.

#13 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

It's gotta be a modem issue...

I have set up the local static IP and all is well.  IP2 notes the correct local IP and WAN.  All ports are forwarded to the new static local IP.  There is absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work.

I am running FSPorttest and getting the timeout errors.

I will go directly to the modem and see what happens in a while.  Off to mow the yard and was the cars..

Edited by Bman., 26 July 2008 - 01:12 PM.

#14 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

Ok - Got it!  Hurrah.  It wasn't the modem after all.  It has no firewall built in.  When I looked at my IP after connecting direct to the modem - it was my WAN IP for both local and wide.

I reset my router (hard reset) and set up the static IP again.  I pass all port tests now so that's good.  Problem solved.

AlexD - You missed you can use FSInn (and only FSInn for FSX)

This is all you need to know for FSInn...  Setting up FSInn for Vatsim + FSX

You can literally be flying on the Vatsim network in 5 minutes.

#15 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:38 PM

I actually got on there today! (FSW Server I mean). It was great. Flew around with RED and some others.

Great fun, we must do it again!

#16 BizmarckAA3

BizmarckAA3

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

great thread. hopefully there will be less clutter from I cant connect :hrmm:

#17 tropicalfish

tropicalfish

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

Well isn't this rather interesting.

I can search for and find a server, and connect, if my ports are not forwarded. Problem is, this bumps users.
So I forward the ports, 23456, 6073, etc.

I cannot connect. Someone suggested to me try 23457 or 23458. I can find the server and I can connect.
Still, the issue with bumping people and myself from the server.

I forward 23457 and 23458. What do you know, I can no longer search for the server and connect.

Any ideas?

#18 Alaska_MD-83

Alaska_MD-83

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

hmmm, make sure that both your software fire wall And your hardware firewall are forwarded. (Like Norton or Comodo)

#19 tropicalfish

tropicalfish

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

I'm using Windows Firewall.
I've allowed the ports and the FS9 program.