* * * * * 1 votes

What's VATSIM and how do I get involved?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

Hi folks, many moons ago I wouldn't have touched VATSIM with a bargepole; talking to people online and having people "monitor" my flying and restrict me didn't appeal to me and I never thought I'd try it. After many years of default simming I eventually got bored and started to lose interest permanently.

I'd read little bits here and there about VATSIM and it had started to appeal to me, but it took a bit of Dutch courage to finally download the software and get online, and frankly I haven't looked back since - so far I fly online when I get a chance, and I also now control :hrmm:

What exactly is VATSIM?

Well basically, VATSIM is a large and organised collection of servers which allows people to fly amongst other 'real' people, and it also offers human-provided and very realistic Air Traffic Control. It's operated mainly by voice to voice contact and it offers a highly superior experience to what can be found by default in FS, and in terms of realism, arguably a higher standard of service than it's closest competitor, IVAO.

How do I know whether I'll like it or not?

There's no real way of knowing unless you jump in head first and give it a go. It can be nerve-wracking, especially on your first flight and speaking to Air Traffic Control - I was bricking it, and about 90% of people do too, but there's no real reason to worry as there is lots of advice offered here on the VATSIM forums. You'll soon get used to it, and then quickly after that, hooked!

How do I get started?

First of all, you'll have to go to the VATSIM website located here, and then click the red link on the left scrollbar to sign up as a pilot, follow all of the instructions and you'll receive your ID number and a password which can be used to log into the servers. Once you've received those two pieces of information you're free to log on as a pilot, but not before you've downloaded some essential pieces of software.

You must download one of these pieces of software according to your own taste, personally I use squawkbox.

SquawkBox

FSInn

Bman Edit - It should be noted : FSInn 1.3 and CoPilot 1.7 are used for FSX.  See here:  http://www.mcdu.com/...opic.php?t=5003

Once one of those has been downloaded and installed you can sign into VATSIM for the very first time. Before diving in head first I'd recommend starting up at a smaller airport and listening into the ATC which is provided for the traffic there and familiarise yourself with the RT so you're not completely overwhelmed by the information given to you! A pen and piece of paper is a hot tip!

Before you do go flying on VATSIM, you're going to have to fill out a flight-plan describing exactly where you are going, please remember that you'd going to have to file air-routes which join intersections together, and if you're flying across the Atlantic, remember to use the NAT tracks. If you don't, you'll simply stress out any controllers who you happen to be in contact with during your flight :hrmm:

Here is some recommended flight planning software:

http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ - this is my personal favourite.

https://www.notams.j...common/nat.html - NAT tracks which are updated daily.

A flight plan from Liverpool to Heathrow would look like this: NANTI L10 HON - cruise altitude FL190 or less (any odd FL).

How do I know where the ATC is being provided?

Unfortunately, there simply aren't enough people on VATSIM for every airport to be staffed at all hours 24/7, it's a shame but an inconvenient truth. For these reasons, instead of simply flying using the generic UNICOM (122.80) frequency which is used as a generic frequency where pilots can inform others of their intentions when there are no controllers online, some use the following software to plan their flights so that they can take advantage of online controllers.

Software includes:

VATSpy
Dolomynum
ServInfo

How can I see what I've done and where I've been in the past?

One of the brilliant features VATSIM offers is a website service called VATAware which is based off the real-world, flight aware. It allows you to see what you've done in the past, what others have done, airport traffic levels, and many things suchlike. Here is an example of Liverpool's stats.

I'm rather interested in controlling, where do I begin?

Becoming a controller on VATSIM is not as easy as becoming a pilot, there are many steps you must go through and plenty of hurdles to jump over. By the time you start controlling I imagine you'll be more familiar with VATSIM through flying as a pilot, but basically you'll have to join your local ATC group, for example, VATUK and then sign up to have an exam to get your Tower Controller's rating (S1), and from there you'll pick up on all of the bureaucracy involved and you'll have forgotten all about this startup guide.

I hope this helps and if anybody has any questions, just post them here and I or someone else will try and get back to you :lol:

Edited by Bman., 08 October 2008 - 09:06 AM.

#2 Navy2

Navy2

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

Should be pinned. :hrmm:

#3 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

Double that. :hrmm: Great little bit of info Fluffy, I have been thinking of going VATSIM but quite frankly I had not the slightest idea where to start. :hrmm:

#4 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:54 PM

Gotta be mentioned in bold that this WILL get you back into flight sim. I had gone off FS permanently and then I decided to give Vatsim a go, and, well, I haven't regretted it.

#5 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

heh...for me I either fly VATSIM or don't fly at all :hrmm: FS got boring for me though, kinda sucks

#6 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:35 AM

View PostFlying_Pie, on Oct 12 2008, 02:43 AM, said:

heh...for me I either fly VATSIM or don't fly at all :hrmm: FS got boring for me though, kinda sucks

:hrmm: You're posting on a Flight Sim forum you know?

#7 Folgers

Folgers

formerly Douglas Buis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:19 AM

View PostWF08, on Oct 12 2008, 04:35 AM, said:

:lol: You're posting on a Flight Sim forum you know?
lololol He's been here for almost 2 years, I'm sure he still likes to hang around with people he knows.  Plus, we do have an off topic on this forum.  lawl!

Anyway, Good topic Fluffington.  Suprised me that you actually do come up with useful posts sometimes to get people started.  Thought you were another "Graham Accused" trolls like me.

I guess I'm the only troll now.  :hrmm:

#8 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

View PostGodfather Doug, on Oct 12 2008, 10:19 AM, said:

View PostWF08, on Oct 12 2008, 04:35 AM, said:

:lol: You're posting on a Flight Sim forum you know?
lololol He's been here for almost 2 years, I'm sure he still likes to hang around with people he knows.  Plus, we do have an off topic on this forum.  lawl!

Anyway, Good topic Fluffington.  Suprised me that you actually do come up with useful posts sometimes to get people started.  Thought you were another "Graham Accused" trolls like me.

I guess I'm the only troll now.  :hrmm:

Ah, there wasn't really much in the way of helping people get going within this forum so I thought I may as well. This was written on a good day when I felt like the members of FSW would actually be grateful for something which would help them out, and I'm very happy with the response so far :yes:

I "troll" as a hobby :lol:

#9 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

View PostGod, on Oct 12 2008, 08:24 PM, said:

I "troll" as a hobby :hrmm:

Guffaw, I do not know what this "troll" is so I shall "quote" it :hrmm:

#10 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

Indeed, but I might do a kewlceo and start having a pop at people for posting none-essential replies :hrmm: Even for "thank you posts" - bumping it when there's a perfectly good "ego-adder" under my original post is rather silly. :hrmm:

#11 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:52 AM

Great thread :hrmm: I too will not fly offline, VATSIM is the only way to fly! Also look at controlling for a different perspective, i control at EGNT and its helped my flying lots.

#12 flowmp

flowmp

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

Was wondering about this yesterday. Great information! I see myself joining.

#13 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

^ Was that really worth it?