2 replies to this topic

#1 Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:42 AM

I reinstalled FS and d/l every AI aircraft that I need all over again as before I d/l flyables and they slowed down my computer to a stand still (especially since its an old one). Here's the deal... I'm using FS2002, using TTools v2.0 and the exact same Aircraft.txt, Airports.txt and FlightPlans.txt documents as I used the first time around with the flyables. The best thing about the flyables was that they looked fantastic (even at 3fps :lol: ) but more importantly, they flew!

So here's where it gets wierd :hrmm: . The AI that I've downloaded have been 99% Aardvark with some exceptions as not all the planes I needed were provided (especially the newer paint schemes of the airlines)... anyway... I put them in pretty much one by one and after each new addition I would go into FS and check that all the textures were working etc etc. At first it was all going well. Then I noticed that for some reason, despite the fact that the aiports were growing ever more crowded, there wasn't much movement. In fact, the only movement that I saw was a 717 at one airport. That was (I'm pretty sure) was an Aardvark AI one. It was moving... textures were working... it was all good. I also once heard an aircraft getting the handing off from ATC after just taking off from the same airport so it might have been the same plane but I'm not sure. Next I know for a fact that one of the 747s is flying also. I did my first proper flight just then which lasted 1.5 hours and I saw the 747 (I'm pretty sure this was an Aardvark one also as I'm pretty sure I know where it was heading and if that is indeed the case then it was the only one of its type that I d/l which means it was definately an Aardvark - this is good news as pretty much everything else is as well) and that was an approach to YSSY (which was pretty busy when I was using flyables as AI). Anyway so I have 2 planes definately flying and at least 20 others that don't move at all. I haven't put in sound files into any of them yet, but I don't think that would matter?

FPS wise... its awesome... and they really don't look all that much worse than the mega detailed flyables I d/l before but they aren't flying! :hrmm: . I've compiled TTools each time obviously as otherwise I wouldn't be able to see the planes in FS after each new addition so I'm not that stupid. I'm sure it's a simple fix but I really don't know what I'm missing :lol: . I've copied the flight plans from the exact same document that I used before and this time I didn't even edit the numbers for the aircraft references and simply edited the aircraft selection in the Aircraft.txt to be the right ones so it's not like my Aircraft.txt has things like #100 and no corresponding aircraft in the flight plans. I'm just really stumped as to the cause of the problem.

Edited by Atomic_Sheep, 29 November 2008 - 10:44 AM.

#2 Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hi guys... I found the problem! But it was definately not an obvious one.

//Qantas QFA Callsign: Qantas

AC#3,480,"PAI A333V2 QFA" //GE333

AC#5,460,"AIA 737-400 Qantas"

AC#6,460,"AIA Boeing 737-800W Qantas (Winglets)"
AC#7,460,"AIA Boeing 737-800W Qantas NC(Winglets)"
AC#8,460,"Qantas Yananyi Dreaming Boeing 737-800"
AC#9,460,"AIA Boeing 737-800W Qantas (Winglets)"

Thats an excerpt from my aircraft.txt file. Turns out, you can use // in the flight plan one just fine but using it in the aircraft screws everything up!!! Who wouldve have thought. Needless to say I've deleted every single comment in both the aircraft.txt and and the fligthplan.txt and my skies and airports are busy as :hrmm: again (by australian standards).

P.S. I used comments a lot in the subsequent sections of my aircraft.txt file.

#3 Atomic_Sheep

Atomic_Sheep

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:00 AM

I'm actually starting to doubt whether what i described as being the problem was the problem. I think both times that I did my flights, was at around 1-2am and there aren't that many planes in the air at that time. I think that's what made me think the AI wasn't working. I flew to Canberra and all the runways lights were off so I guess the airports close at nights? I suppose doestic planes don't fly that late but I never thought about it that way.

The thing is... I realised that if all the planes were loading fine in the game... that means the aircraft.txt file must not have been screwed after all. Anyway... still playing around with it seeing whats what but just did a flight 10 mins ago real time and there was traffic so I'm happy enough.