3 replies to this topic

#1 johnpc

johnpc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

I have this scenery which I found on avsim.ru (English translation is available) and is very high quality.

The problem is this; the runway heading is changed from the stock and the ILS on both ends accordingly (there is a completely new runway and taxiway texture included) . However on ILS approach you are offset by about 2 degrees from the runway centreline, it still follows the old stock runway. I've modified a lot of airports and always as long as the runway fits the new scenery and the ILS is changed to the new heading everything works fine, but not at Odessa  :hrmm:

On runway 34 you can sit at the top (16) end centred on the runway and the localizer is smack in the centre. Slew back to the landing end and the bug moves off to the right. Move the aircraft right so the bug is centred again and turn the aircraft 2 degress anti clockwise and go forward. The bug stays centred and you end up centred at the top end of the runway.

I've tried everything I know in the book, given the original runway and ILS new designations and moved them many miles away and set the ILS frequencies to 0.0 etc. Then making a new runway and ILS. The plane lines up perfectly and when slewed on the runway heading follows the centreline perfectly. The Localizer is still the same 2 degrees off though. I've played with different magvar settings without any change.

I made a completely new AFCAD for the airport and still it's off the 2 degrees. I have FSCommander which shows the modified airport graphically and the runways and ILS line up perfectly and there are no duplicates to be found using ScanAFD. There could be an AFD in the scenery .bgl files which is the cause but I have always found that as long as you put a modified AFCAD file with higher priority it will override whatever is below. My AFCAD folder is set at the very top of the scenery list so it should override any 'stock' or built in AFD files.

This is really annoying!  :hrmm:

I see from the bad Google translation that one or two others are having the same problem, but no solution has been given.

Anyone got ANY idea? If not I will just have to make a NOTAM that Odessa has a 2 degree offsett. It is always good to train to turn the aircraft just before touchdown!  ;) (Look on the bright side eh!)

#2 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

IRL ILS's aren't always aligned with the runway...  I can't remember the highest amount offset until an ILS becomes an LDA approach though.. I think it's 5 or 10 degrees...   but that doesn't help your problem :hrmm:

Make sure the runway magnetic heading is the same as the ILS

#3 johnpc

johnpc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:44 AM

View PostNWilkinson, on Mar 4 2009, 01:51 AM, said:

IRL ILS's aren't always aligned with the runway...  I can't remember the highest amount offset until an ILS becomes an LDA approach though.. I think it's 5 or 10 degrees...   but that doesn't help your problem :hrmm:

Make sure the runway magnetic heading is the same as the ILS

Checked everything and all the headings (true and magnetic) and magvars are the same for the airport, runways and the ILS (localizer). As I mentioned the new runway/ILS show up correctly in FSCommander.

No matter what I enter the ILS does NOT change its heading  :hrmm:

#4 johnpc

johnpc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

Well I've not been in the Odessa area for some time but it did bug med when I didn't have the 'full ILS' on a very foggy night with thunderstorms and rain and visibility like zero. :hrmm:

Also I've got another scenery with the same problem. So what I've done is find the APxxxxxx.bgl for these airports (using JABBgl) and simply renamed them to something else. This means the stock airports no longer exist in FS9. No problem as I want to use new scenery. Now everything works as it should.

I noticed in JABBgl that the default headings were the ones using the ILS in the modified scenery, this means the ILS was not aligned to the new runway scenery, as I explained before.

Does someone out there know of a way to edit the APXXXXXX.bgl files so that I can change the headings for the stock airports. Something not too complicated please!

Still it baffles me why a modified AFCAD file will not align with the new runways, as is the case with 99% of other sceneries.