41 replies to this topic

#1 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

The "Must Have Freeware Files" in FS General doesn't include many addons that work well with FSX, so I thought we could start one specifically for it. :hrmm:

Here is the current list. If you have anything to add, please post it below.

Aircraft

Auster J1 Autocrat - Nice little taildragger, with a great virtual cockpit, for low and slow flying. Image 1, image 2, download link.

Project Opensky 737NG Series - Great aircraft by Project Opensky, and you can merge the exterior models with the virtual cockpit of the default 737-800. The different models and liveries are available here. Be sure to download the FSX model updates for the appropriate 737 variant you download. Also, see this thread to get the aircraft lights functioning properly in FSX.

Project Opensky 777 Series - Another great aircraft by Posky, and it's probably their best. The virtual cockpit rivals the likes of PMDG and Level-D (graphics wise). See this topic to get the virtual cockpit working in FSX. Models and liveries are available here.

Project Opensky ERJ-1XX Series - While this wasn't designed for FSX, you can get it to work properly in FSX by transferring a few gauges. It has an awesome virtual cockpit (one of the best for a freeware commercial jet in my opinion, second to Posky's 777). The different models and liveries are available here. Be sure to follow instructions on Free Sky Project's site to get the virtual cockpit installed, and to get the gauges to display properly, you need to install the virtual cockpit panel (available in the downloads section of Free Sky Project's site), and copy the Boeing 777-300 gauge and Learjet 45 gauges from Fs2002, not Fs9. If you copy the Fs9 gauges to FSX, the virtual cockpit will be gaugeless.

Justflight C152 - A "gift" from Justflight. Includes a custom soundset, great exterior model, and a nice virtual cockpit with clickable windows and sun visors. Image 1, image 2, download link. The images aren't of great quality, and it looks better in FS.

Project Airbus A32X Series - All of Project Airbus' creations are great aircraft with a lot of great paints, but they don't host their files on their site. A quick search at AVSIM or Flightsim.com should yeild these, and you can also find repaints at these sites. Be sure to merge the Project Airbus exterior models with the default A321 virtual cockpit using this guide.

Rick Piper A22 Foxbat - This is one of my favorite freeware GA aircraft, brought to you by Rick Piper! Includes a great model, a great VC, and four liveries. Another bird for those of you who like low and slow flying. Image, download link.

DeHavilland DH-80A Puss Moth - Previously, this aircraft only came in a ski version. However, the wheeled variants have recently been updated for use in FSX! This aircraft is great for low and slow flying over scenic terrain and includes a virtual cockpit, several paints, wheel skirts, no wheel skirts, and ski models. Image (exterior), image (interior), download link (must be registered at Sim-Outhouse).

Tim Conrad's Zlin Z-50L - This is a neat little aerobatic aircraft, brought to you by Tim Conrad. You can find lots of photoreal paints for this beauty on Flightsim.com and other sites, and it also includes an excellent virtual cockpit. A great alternative to the default Extra!   Image, download link (must be registered at Flightsim.com).

Project Opensky 747-400 and 800 - Both of these excellent aircraft from Project Opensky now have FSX native models available for download. Follow this download link, and you can download the FSX models from the "model packages" under the 400 and 800 aircraft title, or download liveries from the respective webpages. Images can also be viewed from the individual livery pages.

Simshed BAe Nimrod MR1/MR2/R1 - Brought to my attention by some great screenshots posted by Jujug. I know very little about this rather odd looking aircraft so I'm not sure what to say about it, but it looks excellent and includes a virtual cockpit. Image (exterior), Image (interior), download link.

Tinmouse 737 - As several have suggested, here she is. Unfortunately, this aircraft lacks a virtual cockpit, but its realistic systems make up for that. Image (interior), images (exterior), download link. Be sure to grab the 1.31, 1.32, and 1.40 updates from AVSIM or another source. (Yes, I know, three individual updates... But the instructions say you must first install 1.30 and then every update, individually.)

CLS Piper Arrow - First Justflight released their C152 for free, and now CLS has "gifted" the community their CLS. While CLS says it isn't up to their payware standards anymore, it still makes an excellent freeware aircraft. Image gallery, download link (add to basket and checkout).

Flying Stations Western Wyvern - This is another one of those aircraft I know nothing about, except this free rendition is excellent and you should download it. You can find a plethora if information, including images, pilot notes, and a video here, and to get it, here's the download link.

Flying Stations Fairey Swordfish - This time, I'm familiar with the aircraft in question... Anyways, this is another great freeware model from the talented folks at Flying Stations. Image gallery, download link.

DoughBree Design's Aero Vodochody L-159A - Great fighter aircraft. Includes a great virtual cockpit, several different models (with weapons, clean, etc), and several awesome paints (Bump-mapping, too). Image, download link. NOTE: As of this update, the DoughBree Design website is not functioning. I am unable to find an alternative download source, so I am leaving this here in the hope that it will come back online.

DoughBree Design's Zlin Z137T - A small tail dragger. Comes with a great virtual cockpit, models with and without crop dusting equipment, and very nice textures. Image, download link. NOTE: As of this update, the DoughBree Design website is not functioning. I am unable to find an alternative download source, so I am leaving this here in the hope that it will come back online.

Scenery

OZx Grand Canyon and KGCN + HolgerMESH V2 - The description from the site... "It is here now folks: the photoreal scenery of the Grand Canyon area. The scenery is for FSX SP2 only, it has got a resolution of 2m/pixel, autogen and nightlights, Summer season only. The main airport of the area, KGCN (Grand Canyon Natural Park) has been dramatically improved. It is a stunning scenery, created by Antonio C., and Maurizio G. The photoreal scenery is based on the latest techniques, to ensure a real visual experience in flight. Colorado river has animated water in the parts where it's bigger. This is the new and ultimate version 2.0 of the Grand Canyon and KGCN airport, that we enriched including also the new version of 10 mt Holger's mesh that extends the coverage also out of the photoreal scenery, to correct some graphical bad issues previously encountered." Image, download link.

OZx Death Valley + HolgerMESH - Another amazing addon from the folks at OZx. This one contains photoreal scenery for the entire area of Death Valley, CA, and other included features similar to the above addon. Image, download link.

Flyhalf's TBPB V2 - This is a great scenery that Flyhalf recently ported over from Fs9 (the Fs9 version was released awhile back). Highly recommended for all Caribbean flyers! The download link has been updated for V2 of this marvelous scenery. Image, search for "tbpb-fsxv200.zip" at Avsim. Also, if you plan to use this with the PW Sceneries Volume 2, please see this thread.

PW Sceneries Volume 1 Grenada - The first in a series of scenery packages for the Caribbean. This pack covers the island of Grenada, featuring accurate coastlines, landclass, waterclass, roads with moving traffic, objects and even wildlife. Images, download link

PW Sceneries Volume 2 The Grenadines, St Vincent and Barbados -  The second in a series of scenery packages for the Caribbean. This pack covers the Grenadines (the small islands north of Grenada), St Vincent and Barbados, featuring accurate coastlines, landclass, waterclass, roads with moving traffic, objects and even wildlife. Images, download link.

PW Sceneries Volume 3 St Lucia and Martinique -  The third in a series of scenery packages for the Caribbean. This pack covers the islands of St Lucia and Martinique, featuring accurate coastlines, landclass, waterclass, roads with moving traffic, objects and even wildlife. Images can be viewed by clicking on the corresponding scenery here, download link.

PW Sceneries Vol 4 Dominica and Guadeloupe - This volume covers the islands of Dominica and Guadeloupe and the surrounding islets in the eastern Caribbean. It features all-new accurate coastlines, landclass, waterclass, custom land polys, rivers, streams, roads with moving traffic, scenery objects and even wildlife! Images can be viewed by clicking on the corresponding scenery here, download link.

PW Sceneries Vol 5 The Leeward Islands - The most recent installment in this excellent series has been released. This volume covers all the islands immediately north of Guadeloupe: Montserrat, Antigua, Redonda, St Kitts, Nevis, Barbuda, St Eustatius, Saba, St Barthelemy, St Maarten, Scrub Island, Dog Island, Sombrero and all the small islets in between! . It features all-new accurate coastlines, landclass, waterclass, custom land polys, rivers, streams, roads with moving traffic, scenery objects and even wildlife! Images can be viewed by clicking on the corresponding scenery here, download link.

Blueskyscenery - This is a large selection of awesome photoreal scenery, in California, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, etc. Some of the AVSIM files are missing, so if you want to download one that is not on AVSIM, just get the filename from AVSIM and find it at Flightsim.com. I can't get the Los Angeles scenery to display properly in FSX, but most of the others (Hawaii, Santa Barbara) display without a hitch. Image 1, image 2, download page.

Orbx Tasmania - This is an awesome freeware scenery brought to us by Orbx, the company who developed scenery for the whole of Australia (payware), that covers the islands of Tasmania. It was developed as a demo to show the impressive detail Orbx brings to us in Australia, and soon the Pacific Northwest. Includes landclass, custom textures, etc. Image, download link.

Quebec CYQB - A lovely overhaul of CYQB. Includes a custom terminal, airport objects, AFCAD, static aircraft, and more. "Countless hours over a two years period have been devoted to develop this very accurate and truly remarkable scenery. It includes more than 50 highly detailed buildings, hangars and special features making this scenery extremely realistic and for the virtual pilot a place to visit. The center piece is the new terminal shaped like an airfoil that has been inaugurated last June. " Image, download link (Flightsim.com account required).

UK2000 Gatwick Free - A lesser version of UK2000's payware Gatwick. Includes photoreal textures around the airport, a custom AFCAD, and custom placed airport objects. Image, download link.

UK2000 Glasgow Free - A lesser version of UK2000's payware Glasgow. Includes photoreal textures around the airport, a custom AFCAD, and custom placed airport objects. Image, download link.

UK2000 Stansted Free - A lesser version of UK2000's payware Stansted. Includes photoreal textures around the airport, a custom AFCAD, and custom placed airport objects. Image, download link.

UK2000 Edinburgh Free - A lesser version of UK2000's payware Edinburgh. Includes photoreal textures around the airport, a custom AFCAD, and custom placed airport objects. Image, download link.

UK2000 Bristol Free - A lesser version of UK2000's payware Bristol. Includes photoreal textures around the airport, a custom AFCAD, and custom placed airport objects. Image, download link.

SimGiants GCLP - This scenery was suggested by Franthree, and I agree with him about how nice it is. From the download page on SimGiants' site:
* Based on commercially available satellite image
* High resolution ground and objects textures
* Highly detailed scenery of the airport and its near surroundings
* All major roads includes traffic
* High resolution mesh terrain
* All navigation systems
* Astounding night-time effects
* Full night textures
* Numerous static and dynamic objects
* Very high framerates
* Realistic runway and taxiway lighting
* Numerous scenery effects
* Marinas,  ports and lakes
Image, download link.

Flyhalf's Paphos - Another top notch scenery by Flyhalf. If you enjoyed his TBPB scenery, you will most certainly enjoy this one. Image, search for "paphos_fsx_v2.zip" at Avsim.

Assorted Orbx Sceneries - Orbx has a large selection of freeware sceneries. Go to their freeware download page and check 'em out!

Replacement Textures

REX Grass Textures - Enhanced grass and environment bitmap for FSX. A great step up from the default grass bitmap. Image, download link.

REX Road Textures - Up to 7CM road and highway textures. Includes versions with cars (painted onto the roads), and no cars (uses the actual AI cars). Image, download link.

REX Parking and Jetway Textures - Another lovely replacement texture by Timest, in 4096x4096 HD. To get the highest resolution, be sure to alter the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD= line in the FSX.CFG to 4096, instead of the default 1024. To keep the setting from reverting to 1024, please see the Frosty Software utility listed at the end of this post. Image, download link.

Utilities

FS Water Configurator - This is a nice utility to customize your water. "Change how your water looks with controls such as 'horizon reflection intensity', 'base texture colour saturation', 'moon glow intensity', and many more... Compatible and complimentary with all major 3rd party FSX addons." Image gallery and video, download link.

FsHostClient - Gamespy not working for you? Want to join your Fs9 buddies on a FsHost multiplayer server? Then download FsHostClient. It allows FSX users to connect to the older FsHost servers, like the FSW Server (IP 64.85.160.87) RIP. You need to fly in windowed mode to utilize the chatbox. Tip: When in windowed mode, don't hit the maximize button to fill the screen. Instead, drag the corners of the FSX window to fill the screen. Otherwise, your frames are going to take a hit. Download link.

Orbx BOB - This is a neat download which allows you to walk around and enjoy your scenery from a person's view. In reality, it is just an aircraft with an invisible model and some neat sound effects, but I decided to group it with the utilities. Download link.

Thanks to the authors of the screenshots (some were mine, but many were not) for taking them (Flyhalf, Paul Wheeler, Jujug, the REX team, etc).

And please, if you have an addon you'd like to share, post it. The more the merrier!
Thanks! :hrmm:

Edited by Toby Werner, 04 July 2011 - 12:41 AM.

#2 CaptainSpeaking

CaptainSpeaking

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:11 AM

Why hasn't this been pinned yet?

#3 jaydawg74

jaydawg74

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:58 AM

Awesome !! i've been waiting for a thread like this. Im a noob, and this might be a dumb question, but will these work with acceleration too ?

#4 Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:41 AM

Superb thread, many thanks for creating this.  :hrmm:

Ian.

#5 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:48 PM

Merged into original post.

Edited by flyhalf, 01 December 2009 - 04:51 AM.

#6 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:00 PM

View Postjaydawg74, on Nov 5 2009, 04:58 AM, said:

Awesome !! i've been waiting for a thread like this. Im a noob, and this might be a dumb question, but will these work with acceleration too ?
Yes. Acceleration includes SP1 and SP2 (IIRC), so all the addons listed should work fine.

#7 JamesMc

JamesMc

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

Great post!  Thank you.

#8 touchdown

touchdown

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:09 PM

I have something to add to the list (only a suggestion), is a freeware High-Quality scenery of Quebec Airport, Canada. CYQB
It is truly outstanding freeware, with all custom buildings.
Its on flightsim.com, filename cyqb_20.zip
image here:
http://flightsim.com...p...jpg&idx=373

#9 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

Great post there Mr. Buziel. :hrmm:

#10 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

Hey Buziel - you might want to start organizing your list by aircraft / textures / scenery etc.

Send me a revised post and I will replace.

Bman.

#11 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

I would add Sim Giants--Gran Canaria International Airport (GCLP)! Really nice! :hrmm:

http://www.sim-giant...nstall.asp?dp=1

#12 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:19 PM

View Postfranthree, on Nov 26 2009, 07:08 PM, said:

I would add Sim Giants--Gran Canaria International Airport (GCLP)! Really nice! :hrmm:

Wow! :hrmm: That looks amazing! I'll make a revised post with that scenery, along with some addons I've found myself, and the REX airport textures released yesterday.

#13 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

View PostBuziel-411_RED, on Nov 26 2009, 08:19 PM, said:

View Postfranthree, on Nov 26 2009, 07:08 PM, said:

Wow! :hrmm: That looks amazing! I'll make a revised post with that scenery, along with some addons I've found myself, and the REX airport textures released yesterday.

It is great! Too bad the default FSX Gran Canary island scenery is so horrid! :P

#14 _BD6_

_BD6_

June '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

FPS Limiter - Much better than FSX's (

Download link to FPS Limiter

#15 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

View Postuber, on Dec 16 2009, 05:39 PM, said:

FPS Limiter - Much better than FSX's (

Download link to FPS Limiter

Link doesnt work mate.

#16 _BD6_

_BD6_

June '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

View Postwynthorpe, on Aug 21 2010, 11:27 AM, said:

Link doesnt work mate.
Try this then FPS Limiter #2 link

#17 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:59 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates. :hrmm: I've picked up some good things since the last udate and will try and compile them all this month, along with the suggestions I've gotten.

#18 simulationGamer

simulationGamer

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

dude plzzz help me i don't have fsx.I lost my game by a virus so plzzz  give me a working link to download it :hrmm:

#19 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

View PostsimulationGamer, on Oct 29 2010, 02:15 PM, said:

dude plzzz help me i don't have fsx.I lost my game by a virus so plzzz  give me a working link to download it :hrmm:

Posted Image

Edited by Romario_, 29 October 2010 - 03:30 PM.

#20 BuboBubo

BuboBubo

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

View PostsimulationGamer, on Oct 29 2010, 09:15 PM, said:

http://www.amazon.co...X...8219&sr=1-1