12 replies to this topic

#1 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:26 AM

I was doing a bit of searching in the FSW archives and it seems one of the biggest "How To" topics is from people wanting to know how to properly land their aircraft. What I have found is that many people seem to want to know how to land realistically in a complex, often large aircraft with instrument approach procedures, yet they don't even know the basics of how to land under visual flight rules.

I tried to find a thread that would explain, in detail, how to properly a standard approach into an airport, but it seems that the topics are buried within each other and because there are so many different approaches (varying for each aircraft), I figured I would help some people out.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

This article is directed at the novice pilot or anyone who wants to get a touch of realism and get the general gist of proper traffic pattern procedures.

First off, what is the traffic pattern?
The traffic pattern is the directional flow of aircraft around an airport for approach purposes. The traffic pattern is typically used for only smaller airports that can be either controlled by ATC or operated as a non-controlled facility.

The traffic pattern at an airport is typically flown 1,000 feet above the surface of the airfield. So, for an airport that is 531 feet above sea level, the traffic pattern would be 1500 feet MSL. Keep in mind, this altitude may change, depending on the specified information for the particular airport you are flying to. You should always check an Airport/Facility Directory (AFD) prior to departure to see what features and procedures that airport operates with. If you don't have an AFD, feel free to use AirNav.com in the United States.

The traffic pattern generally flows in a left-hand rectangle around the airport, but some airports may use right-hand procedures if there are any major traffic operations nearby or obstacles that may obstruct the flow of the traffic pattern if it were to be left-handed. ATC may also designate which direction you will fly the pattern, however, Flight Simulator does not operate that detailed, so just know your general pattern direction prior to departure (also available in the AFD).

There are five major components to the standard traffic pattern, plus a few extra terms you will use. They are:
Upwind
Crosswind
Downwind
Base
Final

Upwind is the leg of the traffic pattern that flows into the wind, parallel with the runway. If you have a quartering crosswind breeze on takeoff, Upwind is still called "upwind" and with still be flown parallel to the runway. When taking off, Upwind is often referred to as the Departure Leg.

After takeoff, you would make a 90-degree turn to the Crosswind Leg. The Crosswind Leg is perpendicular to the runway and connect the Upwind Leg and upcoming Downwind Leg, allowing you to gain altitude while clearing yourself from the runway departure area.

The third leg you will fly is the Downwind Leg. The Downwind Leg is the most crucial leg of the traffic pattern, where you will make all of your final preparations before landing. Here, you will check your fuel sources, your airspeed, your landing gear, and other crucial landing components. The Downwind Leg is also the standard entry point into the traffic pattern if you are arriving from a different airport. You generally fly into the Downwind Leg at the corner of Downwind and Crosswind, entering on a 45-degree angle from the Downwind turn. This allows you to see all of the traffic in the pattern, and makes for a smooth transition into your Downwind turn. The end of the Downwind Leg is also where you begin your descent into the airport.

Your Base Leg is flown in a descent to the airfield, flying perpendicular to the Downwind Leg, preparing yourself for your final approach. On Base, the key procedure to practice is checking to see that there is nobody on final approach before you make your final turn for the runway.

Following the Base Leg will be the Final Approach Leg. This is where you are lined up with the runway, making your final descent into the airfield.

This diagram shows the standard traffic pattern set up for general aviation aircraft.
Posted Image
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Practical Exercise:

Now that you have read up on the the basics of the traffic pattern, it's time to get you to practice your landings using the traffic pattern. For this scenario, we'll use the Cessna 172 as our aircraft. Our airport will be Lost Nation Municipal Airport (KLNN), in Willoughby, Ohio, USA. I have chosen this airport since I have flown out of it many times and uses the standard traffic pattern, making it perfect for flight training.

The airport sits at 626 feet above sea level, so we'll round it off to 600 and add 1,000 feet to get our traffic pattern altitude of 1,600 feet. The airport has two sets of runways, 10-28 and 5-23. We'll use Runway 5 for this scenario.

Here are the steps to execute a proper takeoff and landing through the traffic pattern in the Cessna 172:

-Line up on the runway. Ensure flaps up. Apply full power and accelerate to 60 knots. At 60 knots, slowly rotate off the ground climb straight out to 1,600 feet MSL. You'll want to climb at approximately 80 knots.

-When you are 300 feet below pattern altitude (1300 feet in this case), make a 90-degree left-hand turn onto your Crosswind Leg. Continue climbing to 1,600 feet as you turn at 80 knots. You will hold 80 knots until further instructed.

-Once on your Crosswind Leg, facing 90-degrees from the runway (in this case, heading 320), count for about 5 to 10 seconds. This will give you the proper spacing before turning onto your Downwind Leg. The best way to see visually that you have the proper spacing is by keeping the runway about halfway up the wing strut as you look out your window at it.

-After counting between 5 and 10 seconds, make another 90-degree left-hand turn onto your Downwind Leg. You should be flying parallel to the runway in the opposite direction that you will be landing. Maintain 80 knots (typically between 2000 and 2100 RPM) and hold 1600 feet. At this time, check to ensure that your mixture is fully enriched, both of your magnetos are on, your battery is turned on, your fuel is set to both tanks, and that everything is in order in the cockpit prior to landing.

-When you are abeam the runway number marking (the location you will touchdown at), decreased power to 1500-1700 RPM and decelerate. Put in 10 degrees of flaps, hold at 1600 feet, and maintain 65 knots of airspeed. Once at 65 knots, start a gradual descent down.

-When you are on a 45-degree angle from where you will be touching down, make a 90-degree left-hand turn to your Base Leg. Do not turn Base unless you are at least 200 feet below pattern altitude to prevent from coming in too high. Set flaps to 20 degrees and continue your decent down, maintaining 65 knots. Make sure the final approach path is clear. The biggest thing to remember is not to pull back during your turn to Base. This is a natural tendency for turning at a level altitude, but by putting pressure on the yoke, you will bleed off too much airspeed and may stall during your turn.

-By judging the proper timing, start your turn to Final. Line yourself up with the runway. If you over shoot, try to gradually correct yourself back on line with the runway. If you are too far off, just go around and try again on your next approach. Continue descending at 65 knots, and once you are sure that you will make the runway in the event of an engine failure, put in full flaps, and idle the throttle. Descending at the right rate and holding 65 knots will set you up for a perfect landing.

-As you approach the touchdown point, start to level off several feet above the runway and allow the excess airspeed to bleed off. As you feel the aircraft losing its flight capability, slowly round out to a slightly nose-high attitude, flaring the aircraft so it can land on its main gear. Doing this will ensure a gentle touch down.

-Apply brakes as needed. If you wish to go around, put the flaps up and apply full power and repeat this process.

Note:
Use 60 knots and full flaps for short-field and soft-field approach procedures. Leave other aspects of the traffic pattern flight the same. In the event of high-/gusting crosswinds, less flaps may be used.

It takes a good pattern and approach procedure to execute a good landing. Practice makes perfect.

Key things to practice:

-In uncontrolled traffic environments, call out all of your turns to each leg as to avoid a traffic mishap. In ATC environments, position callouts are not required, and listen for any deviations that may be instructed to you.

-If the airport you are flying to has an approach slope indicator (VASI, PAPI, etc.), use this for a glide slope reference. May sure you are not too low on your approach in case of obstacles.

-Always look for other traffic, and do not rush your flight in the traffic pattern to land before somebody else arrives or takes off. Keeping a steady flow, well practiced, will allow you to execute a near perfect landing every time.

-Keep in mind that different weather causes different approaches. You may need to correct your flight characteristics if wind is blowing you too far away or too close to the runway while in the pattern. Adjust your power and attitude as necessary, but try to stay as close to standard procedures as possible.

-Different aircraft have different approach speeds and procedures. It is best to review your aircraft Operating Manual and Checklists prior to flying it.

-Be familiar with where you are going before you get there. Research the proper airport information and approach procedures that will become handy to you when it comes time for your arrival. Check the forecasted weather conditions for your destination to see if there may be any difficulties when you approach your airport.

-Look outside the aircraft. Instruments are helpful, but they don't let you know about the other aircraft you're flying into.

Posted Image

#2 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

Great tutorial.  :hrmm:

The issue with the majority of the simulator community in general is that if the aircraft doesn't have autoland capabilities, it isn't going to be popular. That's probably why you won't see the basic questions get asked.

But even with that said, there will still be instances where you'll need to fly a visual to the airport in a heavy.

#3 RevilYoyo

RevilYoyo

Passenger

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:20 AM

post removed

Edited by Toby Werner, 11 January 2010 - 04:29 AM.

#4 E-mage

E-mage

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

This is nice and all, but if you did not know, there are interactive lessons in fs9 about things like this. go learn

#5 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

Even with porter, I fly visual, sometimes even do a visual landing.

#6 TheBigTurkey

TheBigTurkey

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:52 AM

did you know that  IFR planes must cancel IFR before using the VFR pattern.

#7 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

View PostSSgtRhodes, on Jan 13 2010, 03:52 AM, said:

Not according to the AIM (unless I misinterpreted it). Visual approaches can be conducted in a IFR flight plan as long as Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC) minima is present. The criteria is that the WX ceiling needs to be at or above 1,000' and visibility needs to be greater than 3 miles. The PIC must have either the airfield or the proceeding identified aircraft in sight. The IFR flight plan doesn't need to be canceled, but the PIC is under VFR, and is solely responsible for terrain clearance and separation. There is also no Missed Approach Procedure (MAP) on a visual, so in the event you go missed or perform a touch and go, you rejoin the traffic pattern if you wish to reattempt a landing. In uncontrolled airspace (class G airspace), turns are made to the left as per FAR 91.126, so the pattern would be to the left of the runway, or to the right of the reciprocal runway unless otherwise depicted in a MAP/DP, or the controller want's you on a right base. The approach also must be authorized and controlled by the appropriate ATC facility. If the controller tells you to squawk VFR, then the IFR plan is cancelled. But 2 way radio communications with ATC is still a requirement reguardless of whether or not you're VFR or IFR inside class B, C or D airspace.

Abit pedantic but you could actually file a IFR plan, fly the entire route under VFR regs (to include cruising at VFR altitudes), and keep the IFR plan active (VFR on top).

*EDIT*

With that said, visual approaches in a turbofan are a rare occurrence. The primary reason is separation, and another reason is noise abasement. Turbofans need at least 5, 6, or 7 minutes of separation (depending on the MTOW) between them and the following aircraft. If not, the Cessna pilot following behind the 747 is going to have a heck of a time trying to keep the approach stable due to the 747's wake turbulence. This is where MSFS ATC fails miserably at trying to replicate R/W procedures.

Edited by THBatMan8, 13 January 2010 - 10:57 PM.

#8 TheBigTurkey

TheBigTurkey

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:24 AM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jan 13 2010, 02:27 PM, said:

View PostSSgtRhodes, on Jan 13 2010, 03:52 AM, said:

Not according to the AIM (unless I misinterpreted it). Visual approaches can be conducted in a IFR flight plan as long as Visual Meteorological Conditions (VMC) minima is present. The criteria is that the WX ceiling needs to be at or above 1,000' and visibility needs to be greater than 3 miles. The PIC must have either the airfield or the proceeding identified aircraft in sight. The IFR flight plan doesn't need to be canceled, but the PIC is under VFR, and is solely responsible for terrain clearance and separation. There is also no Missed Approach Procedure (MAP) on a visual, so in the event you go missed or perform a touch and go, you rejoin the traffic pattern if you wish to reattempt a landing. In uncontrolled airspace (class G airspace), turns are made to the left as per FAR 91.126, so the pattern would be to the left of the runway, or to the right of the reciprocal runway unless otherwise depicted in a MAP/DP, or the controller want's you on a right base. The approach also must be authorized and controlled by the appropriate ATC facility. If the controller tells you to squawk VFR, then the IFR plan is cancelled. But 2 way radio communications with ATC is still a requirement reguardless of whether or not you're VFR or IFR inside class B, C or D airspace.

Abit pedantic but you could actually file a IFR plan, fly the entire route under VFR regs (to include cruising at VFR altitudes), and keep the IFR plan active (VFR on top).

*EDIT*

With that said, visual approaches in a turbofan are a rare occurrence. The primary reason is separation, and another reason is noise abasement. Turbofans need at least 5, 6, or 7 minutes of separation (depending on the MTOW) between them and the following aircraft. If not, the Cessna pilot following behind the 747 is going to have a heck of a time trying to keep the approach stable due to the 747's wake turbulence. This is where MSFS ATC fails miserably at trying to replicate R/W procedures.
That has to do with a VIS app. But I believe for a pilot to be assigned a pattern entry he can only be VFR.

EX: You cant tell an IFR SWA 737 to fly right downwind 35R at KMCO. He has to be vectored to final and then... When I control most the time if I am running VIS app into KMCO I will just give them a 180 heading and at midfield I will say something along the lines of "SWA123 field 3 o clock 5 miles,report in sight" once they have it in sight I will just clear them for the VIS app.

Edited by Rileyturkey, 14 January 2010 - 05:30 AM.

#9 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

View PostRileyturkey, on Jan 14 2010, 05:24 AM, said:

That has to do with a VIS app. But I believe for a pilot to be assigned a pattern entry he can only be VFR.

EX: You cant tell an IFR SWA 737 to fly right downwind 35R at KMCO. He has to be vectored to final and then... When I control most the time if I am running VIS app into KMCO I will just give them a 180 heading and at midfield I will say something along the lines of "SWA123 field 3 o clock 5 miles,report in sight" once they have it in sight I will just clear them for the VIS app.

Radar vectors are a way the controller can increase the traffic flow in the sector whilst maintaining IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) separation for planes under IFR. Vectors are the preferred way for this reason. However, pilots are still responsible for maintaining separation from VFR traffic in the airspace not under flight following, and/or VFR traffic in the corridor. Vectors aren't really a visual approach, as you are vectored to a point to where you can begin the instrument arrival procedure. A visual approach is one which has no instrument procedure (VOR, NDB, ILS, etc), and no Missed Approach Point. If you vector SWA123 to begin a VOR approach (for example), the aircraft is still using a navaid as a guide, so it's not really considered a visual approach. The 'visual' part comes when the aircraft reaches the Minimum Descent Altitude (MDA). With vectors to visual and/or Non Precision Approaches without a published FAF, the aircraft would dive and drive it to the MDA when it turns inbound.

I was referring to traffic patterns also, as when you perform a touch and go or go missed under the circumstances you and I noted, you would join the pattern to reattempt a landing. You are under VFR in those circumstances, but the IFR plan itself is still active until the pilot requests it to be canceled, radar service gets terminated, and is squawking VFR (1200) on the transponder. If you clear SWA123 for a visual and he wishes to touch and go - then land at another runway, or he goes missed, then SWA123 would be on his own when it comes to terrain clearance and traffic separation. Unless SWA123 wants to do a instrument procedure on the 2nd attempt. This is where my 1st post in this thread comes into play, as this is one of those circumstances which would prompt you to fly a heavy in a traffic pattern.

Edited by THBatMan8, 14 January 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#10 TheBigTurkey

TheBigTurkey

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jan 14 2010, 02:08 PM, said:

View PostRileyturkey, on Jan 14 2010, 05:24 AM, said:

Radar vectors are a way the controller can increase the traffic flow in the sector whilst maintaining IMC (Instrument Meteorological Conditions) separation for planes under IFR. Vectors are the preferred way for this reason. However, pilots are still responsible for maintaining separation from VFR traffic in the airspace not under flight following, and/or VFR traffic in the corridor. Vectors aren't really a visual approach, as you are vectored to a point to where you can begin the instrument arrival procedure. A visual approach is one which has no instrument procedure (VOR, NDB, ILS, etc), and no Missed Approach Point. If you vector SWA123 to begin a VOR approach (for example), the aircraft is still using a navaid as a guide, so it's not really considered a visual approach. The 'visual' part comes when the aircraft reaches the Minimum Descent Altitude (MDA). With vectors to visual and/or Non Precision Approaches without a published FAF, the aircraft would dive and drive it to the MDA when it turns inbound.

I was referring to traffic patterns also, as when you perform a touch and go or go missed under the circumstances you and I noted, you would join the pattern to reattempt a landing. You are under VFR in those circumstances, but the IFR plan itself is still active until the pilot requests it to be canceled, radar service gets terminated, and is squawking VFR (1200) on the transponder. If you clear SWA123 for a visual and he wishes to touch and go - then land at another runway, or he goes missed, then SWA123 would be on his own when it comes to terrain clearance and traffic separation. Unless SWA123 wants to do a instrument procedure on the 2nd attempt. This is where my 1st post in this thread comes into play, as this is one of those circumstances which would prompt you to fly a heavy in a traffic pattern.
You read to much.

#11 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

View PostRileyturkey, on Jan 14 2010, 07:19 PM, said:

You read to much.

It keeps me out of trouble when I'm bored.  :hrmm:

#12 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:24 AM

IFR flight plans automatically close when you land. If you request the Visual approach in, it's not canceling the IFR flight plan. If you request a VFR flight following, it will cancel your IFR.

In real life, if you file a VFR Flight Plan, it is your job to close it after you land. If you do not, you're going to be in a mess of trouble, and hopefully they haven't already sent out the search & rescue birds. :hrmm: If you have an IFR flight plan, the controllers do everything for you.

IFR controllers will often give you a visual approach if the airport you are flying into has good visual glide slope indicators, and especially if the airfield you are heading into has no instrument approach system. If you are flying into an uncontrolled field, you will remain on an IFR flight plan, but you will transfer over to the airport freq. to avoid traffic collisions and runway incursions. If you were to go around, you would contact the controlling agency and declare a missed approach and they'll swing you around tog et you back into the airfield. You can monitor both the airport freq. and the ATC frequency to listen in on both channels.

#13 Flywheel

Flywheel

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Hi all.
I have only joined the forum today and it's typical of me to respond to a six year old post. But as a fairly new sim pilot I found the OP to be very helpful, perhaps the single most well explained runway procedure. I don't fly electronic-controlled jets, I stick mostly to GA aircraft and civil craft like the Dash 8 and Beechcraft 1900D. The only big jets I fly is DC8 and DC10. So most of my handling being manual I found this so helpful.
Anyway, nice to be here :thumbsupguy: