371 replies to this topic

#1 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:50 AM

Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast and Newcastle airports have been completely shut. And hundreds of flights from Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Manchester, Luton and Birmingham have been cancelled. Officials said more airports could close completely as the ash drifts over the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/8621407.stm

Airline passengers are facing massive disruption across the UK after an ash cloud from a volcanic eruption in Iceland grounded planes.

In Scotland, all airports are shut and there is disruption at many others including Manchester, Liverpool, Stansted, Newcastle and Birmingham.

The Air Traffic Control Service (Nats) imposed restrictions after the Met Office warned ash could damage engines.

Passengers are being advised to contact their airlines prior to travel.

Experts have warned that the tiny particles of rock, glass and sand contained in the ash cloud would be sufficient to jam aircraft engines.

'Significant disruption'

Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow airports were shut as Nats said it was restricting flights "in accordance with international civil aviation policy".

The ash cloud disrupted all flights to and from Manchester with a similar picture at Newcastle airport where all arrivals were cancelled and all outbound flights either cancelled or subject to indefinite delay.

Liverpool's John Lennon airport suspended all flights until at least 1300GMT.
A flight board at Glasgow airport
Airports in Scotland were the first to suspend flights overnight

British Airways said it had cancelled all domestic flights for the whole of Thursday, which affected flights at London's Gatwick, Heathrow and City airports.

Birmingham airport warned of severe disruption with about 90% of flights cancelled, and there were problems reported at East Midlands, Leeds Bradford, Cardiff and Bristol.

Most flights were suspended at Belfast International Airport and George Best Belfast City Airport, with some in and out of Dublin airport also hit.

A Nats spokesman said: "The Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre has issued a forecast that the ash cloud from the volcanic eruption in Iceland will track over Europe tonight.

"Nats is working with Eurocontrol and our colleagues in Europe's other air navigation service providers to take the appropriate action to ensure safety in accordance with international aviation policy."

Engines shut

The European air safety body, Eurocontrol, said the cloud of ash had reached 55,000ft and was expected to move through northern UK and Scotland by 1300GMT.

Brian Flynn, assistant head of operations of its central flow management unit, told the BBC: "As it moves toward the Netherlands and Belgium it will dissipate and lose intensity, like any weather phenomenon. But we don't know what the extent of it will be."

In about 1982 a British Airways jumbo had the unnerving experience of having all four engines shut down as it flew through a plume of volcanic ash
Philip Avery
Met Office

Further south, five easyJet flights due to depart from Stansted airport in Essex were cancelled, along with all northbound flights from Southampton and Newquay airports.

Bournemouth airport grounded a flight to Dublin but said all other departures were on schedule.

Met Office forecaster Philip Avery said the ash could take several days to clear.

He said: "It is showing up on imagery at the moment, extending down as far as the Faroes but it looks as though the wind will drag it a good deal further south.

"NATS has good cause to be very cautious about this because in about 1982 a British Airways jumbo had the unnerving experience of having all four engines shut down as it flew through a plume of volcanic ash."

A BAA spokesman said: "Passengers intending to fly today are asked to contact their airline for further information and should expect disruption in the coming hours.

The Royal Air Force has confirmed it will maintain its search and rescue operations.

A spokesman said: "We will continue to provide full search and rescue cover, however we will consider all requests we get on a case by case basis.

"The ash is mainly affecting the air traffic control radar but we can fly in cloud and reduced visibility.

The eruption under a glacier in the Eyjafjallajoekull area of Iceland is the second in the country in less than a month.

A NATS spokesperson said the volcano was still erupting.

-----

Related reports:

http://www.avherald....=42a11865&opt=0

http://www.avherald....=42a1e5b1&opt=0

http://www.avherald....=428f6df0&opt=0

http://www.avherald....=428f6c0f&opt=0

Just as well I got home yesterday!!!

#2 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:45 AM

Was reading about this, all London airports are due to close any minute.

#3 clum

clum

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:07 AM

Aw I looked outside and was expecting something from a disaster movie. All I got was a few normal looking clouds. Disappointing!

#4 JordanFarmer

JordanFarmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:19 AM

Well, i just heard this aswell, im just glad i havnt got a flight booked anytime soon! do you recon we will see this ash cloud over the UK?

Jordan

#5 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:22 AM

Downstream volcanic ash isn't really much to look at from the surface as it isn't that dense when you are looking at it from 4-5 miles away...   It sucks for the UK because the jetstream carries whatever Greenland and Iceland spew up

#6 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:38 AM

I noticed it was really misty this morning, but meh, nothing major.

Apparently the cloud reached 55000 ft... not surprising they cancelled the flights.

#7 spitfir3

spitfir3

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:21 AM

I'm going flying in hour! Thank god VFR flights are still being approved.. only commercial flights canxd.

#8 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:31 AM

I'm expecting lots of photos later on today from our UK members!  :hrmm:  Don't we have a few members from Iceland? Wonder if they've been evacuated!

#9 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:00 AM

View PostToby Werner, on Apr 15 2010, 05:31 AM, said:

I'm expecting lots of photos later on today from our UK members!  :hrmm:  Don't we have a few members from Iceland? Wonder if they've been evacuated!

http://www.cnn.com/2...x.html?hpt=Sbin

Edited by NWilkinson, 15 April 2010 - 06:04 AM.

#10 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

This is major news. The UK airspace hasnt been so affected since 9/11 I believe. I'm surprised though at the amount of flights which are still running to america as oppose to most of the flights which are cancelled going towards europe. for eg. IRA711 has been cancelled and diverted towards frankfurt

#11 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:27 AM

View Postiranair787, on Apr 15 2010, 12:20 PM, said:

This is major news. The UK airspace hasnt been so affected since 9/11 I believe. I'm surprised though at the amount of flights which are still running to america as oppose to most of the flights which are cancelled going towards europe. for eg. IRA711 has been cancelled and diverted towards frankfurt
Since midday there should be no flights running anywhere in UK airspace either to or from.

#12 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:30 AM

is there any satellite images of the cloud and its progress?

#13 Max.

Max.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:41 AM

View Postiranair787, on Apr 15 2010, 12:30 PM, said:

There are satellite images knocking around somewhere I think.

Posted Image

^ That was the story 6 hours ago, the dust has moved across more or less the whole of our island now. Apparently we could get a "spectacularly red sunset" tonight.

#14 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:41 AM

View PostMax., on Apr 15 2010, 12:41 PM, said:

View Postiranair787, on Apr 15 2010, 12:30 PM, said:

There are satellite images knocking around somewhere I think.

Posted Image

^ That was the story 6 hours ago, the dust has moved across more or less the whole of our island now. Apparently we could get a "spectacularly red sunset" tonight.
:hrmm:

BAW156 is touching down as we speak. last flight in

#15 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:59 AM

really weird hearing nothing on the usually really busy 119.725

#16 clum

clum

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

View Postiranair787, on Apr 15 2010, 06:30 AM, said:

http://www.metoffice...latest_VIS.html

#17 BuboBubo

BuboBubo

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:28 AM

Norway and the northern half of Sweden is affected too.

*edit* apparently the entire Swedish airspace will be closed at 22.00.

and there will be no flight activity at Landvetter since 30 minutes ago.

Also it seems that Denmarl. Belgium, Netherlands, Ireland and parts of Germany is affected.

http://www.dn.se/nyh...-helt-1.1077936

Edited by BuboBubo, 15 April 2010 - 07:34 AM.

#18 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:33 AM

View PostMax., on Apr 15 2010, 06:27 AM, said:

View Postiranair787, on Apr 15 2010, 12:20 PM, said:

Since midday there should be no flights running anywhere in UK airspace either to or from.

And if PlaneStupid had their way it would be a daily occurrence..  until someone showed PlaneStupid just how plain stupid they really are

#19 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

I'm just wondering, can't some flights fly within VFR. I know its a stupid question, but surely they are able to fly VFR if needs be? The ash cloud hasnt really reached the south of the uk yet as well

#20 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Thurs April 15, 14:00

The cloud of volcanic ash is now spread across the UK and continuing to travel south. In line with international civil aviation policy, no flights other than agreed emergencies are currently permitted in UK controlled airspace. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that these restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 0600 tomorrow, Friday 16 April, at the earliest. We will review further Met Office information and at 2000 today (local) we will advise the arrangements that will be in place through to 1200 tomorrow.

We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption.