Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

Bat_Man, on Apr 21 2010, 08:23 PM, said:

Mr Smooth., on Apr 21 2010, 08:14 PM, said:

I understand this fully and still do, everyone has to make in some way. Airlines havn't done this because they need all that money. They have simple done it because there are 1000s stranded that need to go home, this is the best and fastest way of doing so, so they know people will pay those prices. They are taking advantage of vulnerable people. It makes me sick.

I gotta hit the brakes here. If you pay the higher fare then you cant really complain because there are other alternatives. For the amount of time that the passengers were stranded at the airport, I personally would have used another means to get to where I need to go instead of waiting days and days. Airliners lost alot of money because of this eruption, and they have to make it back somehow. If they don't raise fares then they have to start laying off employees.

Again, supply and demand. Let's not forget that the flight going out now are also filled with people who purchased tickets for that date months in advance. You can't jsut kick everyone else off the plane because other people need to get somewhere.

There's a large amount of traffic going through Europe right now, and just not enough aircraft to handle it all. Demand is high and supply is low, therefore, prices will go up.

#362 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:56 AM

suddste, on Apr 21 2010, 11:43 PM, said:

iranair787, on Apr 21 2010, 12:15 PM, said:

:hrmm:

Posted Image

Block off that annoying Greenpeace advert!
just saying how ironic it is :hrmm:

#363 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

That's better.  :hrmm:
Posted Image

#364 Swarley

Swarley

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

AFR106L

* Callsign: AFR106L
    * Flightnr: AF106
    * Reg: F-GTAY
    * Hex: 394C18
    * Model: Airbus A321-212 (A321)
    * Airline: Air France
    * Lat: 59.45498
    * Lon: 17.40992
    * Altitude: 5950 feet (1814 m)
    * Ground speed: 253 knots
      (469 km/h / 291 mph)
    * Track: 82°
    * Radar: ESSB
    * To: Guangzhou, Baiyun (CAN)

wth must be error its over stockholm lol

#365 Cactus

Cactus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

Not sure if this link has been posted yet or not:
http://www.metoffice...hconcentration/

"Manufacturers have agreed to increased tolerance levels in low ash density areas.  These new policies are based on international data and evidence from previous volcanic ash incidents, new data collected from test flights and additional analysis from manufacturers over the past few days.  It is a conservative model allowing a significant buffer on top of the level the experts feel may pose a risk."

"The areas depicted in red are areas of low ash density that have been identified by the UK Met office and meet new engine tolerance standards.  Areas depicted in black are where ash levels are at ³ 10-16, plus a sixty mile buffer zone and will remain no fly zones."

#366 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

Swarley, on Apr 22 2010, 05:34 PM, said:

AFR106L

Most flights from Western Europe to Japan and China route over Scandinavia and Russia...

#367 JG1324

JG1324

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:11 AM

Iain_R, on Apr 23 2010, 10:55 AM, said:

Swarley, on Apr 22 2010, 05:34 PM, said:

AFR106L

Most flights from Western Europe to Japan and China route over Scandinavia and Russia...
I think he's talking about how it shows it as a A321.  :hrmm:

#368 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:17 AM

Well, it's good to see the standard traffic up again.  :hrmm:

#369 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:19 AM

my friends back home :hrmm:

shame I missed her arrival into LHR... only 10 mins late i was while she was exactly on time :hrmm:

#370 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:35 AM

I get the feeling that after this ordeal that serious measures will occur to ensure that this won't happen again. Better defined policy, better data to back claims. Maybe we'll get engine manufacturers to research more into what's safe for their engines. Don't know how much they can increase tolerance as the general idea is that the ash melts under high temperatures and re-solidifies and clogs the engine workings.

From what I've seen, it appears the ordeal is mostly over with. I've seen aircraft on Deltanet go to Europe from the US with nonrevenue passengers and still have open seats on them.

#371 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, my cousins made it back from Orlando to Brussels, connecting in Philadelphia, after being stuck an extra week (making it a 3-week vacation, lucky :hrmm:).

#372 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

NEW UPDATES

UK and Irish aviation chiefs ordered no-flight restrictions covering most of Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

At the affected airports, disappointed passengers spoke of their frustration at having their holiday plans wrecked.

Some of the no-fly zones were in place until 1pm and others until 7pm as ash levels drifting south from the Eyjafjallajokull volcano were deemed unsafe for planes.

Among the airports operating no flights between 7am and 7pm are Glasgow, Prestwick and Campbeltown in Scotland and Derry in Northern Ireland.

Although flights were arriving and leaving from Edinburgh and Aberdeen airport, British Airways cancelled all its London-Edinburgh and London-Aberdeen services until at least 1pm.

Low-fare airline easyJet axed all flights to and from Belfast City, Belfast International, Glasgow and Inverness airports between 7am and 1pm.

Airline Flybe cancelled all flights to and from Dublin between 10am and 4pm. In the Republic of Ireland, flight restrictions were introduced at Donegal, Sligo, Dublin and Knock airports.

Mabel McGeachie, 62, from East Kilbride, Scotland, had her easyJet flight cancelled at Glasgow airport. She had been travelling to Malaga in Spain with 10 friends and relatives for her daughter's hen night and was told the next available flight was on Sunday, the day she was meant to return.

She said: "We are feeling disappointed as we were looking forward to it and I don't think we'll be able to rearrange it. It was my daughter's hen do and her wedding is in July. We heard about the ash last night but just came down to the airport anyway."

Source: Yahoo UK

Edited by Iain_R, 05 May 2010 - 09:56 AM.