6 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Tobin

Robert Tobin

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:10 AM

I have the Saitek Yoke/Quadrant set and an extra Quadrant. The first throttle slider on the quadrant that came with the yoke does not move the throttle smoothly and can set the throttle anywhere, even closed, no matter where I set it.

I cant find how to get into the quadrant to see if i can fix it. Anyone know?

#2 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:18 AM

View PostRobert Tobin, on May 29 2010, 02:10 AM, said:

I have the Saitek Yoke/Quadrant set and an extra Quadrant. The first throttle slider on the quadrant that came with the yoke does not move the throttle smoothly and can set the throttle anywhere, even closed, no matter where I set it.

Howdy, Welcome to FlightSimWorld.com! :hrmm:

This is a silly question, but have you tried calibrating the joystick? See here.

#3 Robert Tobin

Robert Tobin

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:50 AM

View Postpwn247, on May 29 2010, 06:18 AM, said:

This is a silly question, but have you tried calibrating the joystick? See here.

First thing i did. The problem seems to be with the contact between the thottle slider and the electrical contact. And there seems to some electrical leaks between throttles one and three.

This is why I would like to be able to get inside the quadrant and try spraying an electrical clearner on the contacts. There could be some dirt or rust there. I live on the coast. Rust is a big problem. I had to clean a Guitar pot that way.

#4 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:05 AM

View PostRobert Tobin, on May 29 2010, 07:50 AM, said:

View Postpwn247, on May 29 2010, 06:18 AM, said:

First thing i did. The problem seems to be with the contact between the thottle slider and the electrical contact. And there seems to some electrical leaks between throttles one and three.

This is why I would like to be able to get inside the quadrant and try spraying an electrical clearner on the contacts. There could be some dirt or rust there. I live on the coast. Rust is a big problem. I had to clean a Guitar pot that way.
That may definitely play a factor. Looks like it's a hardware issue, so we can rule out the software side.

I had a digital camera that had corroding battery contacts. I used some steel wool and electrical cleaner (like you mentioned), and the camera works better now.

#5 clum

clum

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

It's a known problem with them and one that affects my quadrant as well. Apparently the pots that saitek used are seriously cheap and only good for a few thousand cycles. I've been through three sets of quadrants trying to find a good one with no luck so I just use the yoke along with my x45 throttle now.

#6 Robert Tobin

Robert Tobin

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

View Postclum, on May 29 2010, 08:38 AM, said:

It's a known problem with them and one that affects my quadrant as well. Apparently the pots that saitek used are seriously cheap and only good for a few thousand cycles. I've been through three sets of quadrants trying to find a good one with no luck so I just use the yoke along with my x45 throttle now.

As I suspected. Thanks for the reply Clum.

#7 Jasonchan

Jasonchan

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:53 AM

I think you probably need this: www.cockpitphd.com