233 replies to this topic

#21 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:54 AM

I remember we were saying the same thing about FSX, it being just 'arcadey' and 'gamey'.  But that's the point, people like us who have been flying the game for a long time, and use the aircraft from PMDG, LVD, CS etc... and fly realistically can choose to do so, and those who choose to just use the default aircraft and just "fly" can do so as well.

#22 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:59 AM

I wonder how much the engine has been overhauled or if it just builds on top of the current engine.

#23 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:18 AM

View Postniteye, on Aug 17 2010, 03:29 PM, said:

I wonder how much the engine has been overhauled or if it just builds on top of the current engine.

I wonder if there's going to be a Demo like there was for FSX.

And I wonder if this will bring back any of the older members who've disappeared from here.
I also wonder if there will be a surge of many new members like there was during the release of FSX ...

#24 Montie

Montie

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:33 AM

I am pretty optimistic about this. But I hope it will have the open architecture of FS9/FSX for developers, if not then I am not interested. As well a new and more efficient graphics engine would be welcome.

#25 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:49 AM

BTW, can't wait till Mo sees this, he'll finally be able to rest his dilema! :hrmm: http://www.flightsim...howtopic=188309
He's gonna be so happy :P

And caaront, you can stop fiddling with X-Plane :hrmm:

#26 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

DX11 with Tessellation anyone?  :hrmm:  Could you imagine the detailing on some payware models up close?!  Really hope this will be what we've been wanting for a long time now; built from the ground up with a newer, more efficient engine!

#27 mistahimaskwa

mistahimaskwa

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hmm...looks promising, the fact that a Microsoft Flight sim is announced. Just have to wait and see  :hrmm:

#28 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

View PostToby Werner, on Aug 17 2010, 05:37 PM, said:

DX11 with Tessellation anyone?  :hrmm:  Could you imagine the detailing on some payware models up close?!  Really hope this will be what we've been wanting for a long time now; built from the ground up with a newer, more efficient engine!

Yea, that's what I was just thinking of as well!  I get like 10 times as much more frame rates with DX10, hope that they make the DX11 fine polished, and what I'm really hoping for is that MS F runs better than FSX, because FSX is just too :hrmm: up! :P

Edited by pyruvate, 17 August 2010 - 07:13 AM.

#29 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:18 AM

View Postpyruvate, on Aug 17 2010, 06:49 AM, said:

BTW, can't wait till Mo sees this, he'll finally be able to rest his dilema! :hrmm: http://www.flightsim...howtopic=188309
He's gonna be so happy :P

And caaront, you can stop fiddling with X-Plane :hrmm:
Well it seems in the end he was fairly accurate in thinking that a big surprise of some official anouncement would be anytime soon. ;)

#30 Ragtopjohnny

Ragtopjohnny

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

I need ALOT more info before I can make a judgement call.  Am so far, very unimpressed with what I just saw in the trailer.  What happened to "Simulator" anyway in the title?  Is that not what its all about?

#31 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

brings a new perspective to the long-standing genre

This can be very good or very bad.

#32 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Aug 17 2010, 09:17 AM, said:

I don't they don't really mean anything with it and it's just some generic way of saying "wow new technology and graphics and whatnot".

#33 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

View Postniteye, on Aug 17 2010, 07:49 PM, said:

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Aug 17 2010, 09:17 AM, said:

I don't they don't really mean anything with it and it's just some generic way of saying "wow new technology and graphics and whatnot".

Yea, we heard crap during the FSX hype as well, we'll just have to wait and see!  But I can't wait :hrmm:

#34 Ragtopjohnny

Ragtopjohnny

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

One way to look at it what my system programmer and developer said, there's no way they could have rewritten the FSX code in the 18months since Aces was abolished - no way.  

If they did, it's pure and utter garbage that's coming - I don't even want to see it - so there's hopes that it is still more like FSX - maybe now its time to start hoping those wish lists do actually come true....

#35 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

View PostRagtopjohnny, on Aug 17 2010, 09:26 AM, said:

One way to look at it what my system programmer and developer said, there's no way they could have rewritten the FSX code in the 18months since Aces was abolished - no way.  

If they did, it's pure and utter garbage that's coming - I don't even want to see it - so there's hopes that it is still more like FSX - maybe now its time to start hoping those wish lists do actually come true....
Yeah let's hope they didn't stick too much on the old engine and get limited by it.
Kind of like Half-life 2 (the source engine is quite nice and smooth) but one thing that they couldn't fix is is the tunnels with loading screens, because that's how HalfLife1's engine worked and they just kept building upon the same engine adding quite terrific stuff but they never could change that without having to start the engine from scratch. So as a relic from the past we still get annoying loading screens during gameplay instead of a seamless world.

Btw maybe it's about time they create a new subforum for 'Flight'. :hrmm:

Edited by niteye, 17 August 2010 - 09:31 AM.

#36 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

View PostRagtopjohnny, on Aug 17 2010, 07:56 PM, said:

I remember reading that they started working on a new engine after FSX was released, remember some people talking about it.  If so, it's been ~4 years. :hrmm:

#37 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

I noticed on the main Flight page, it mentions Flight was inspired by the Flight Simulator series. Which hints that this isn't going to be considered a part of the simulator series.

#38 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Aug 17 2010, 08:27 PM, said:

I noticed on the main Flight page, it mentions Flight was inspired by the Flight Simulator series. Which hints that this isn't going to be considered a part of the simulator series.

Twenty-eight years after the debut of "Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0," Microsoft Game Studios announces the internal development of "Microsoft Flight." "Microsoft Flight" will bring a new perspective to the long-standing genre, welcoming everyone, including long-time fans to experience the magic of flight. For continual updates over time and to view a teaser of the future of Flight on the Windows PC, visit www.microsoft.com/games/flight

But lets not all just jump to conclusions here, we have a 30 second trailer, 3 paragraphs, and a name.
If they're going the release a Demo, that's the first time when we'll know what it really is.

Edited by pyruvate, 17 August 2010 - 10:06 AM.

#39 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

View Postpyruvate, on Aug 17 2010, 10:06 AM, said:

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Aug 17 2010, 08:27 PM, said:

Twenty-eight years after the debut of "Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0," Microsoft Game Studios announces the internal development of "Microsoft Flight." "Microsoft Flight" will bring a new perspective to the long-standing genre, welcoming everyone, including long-time fans to experience the magic of flight. For continual updates over time and to view a teaser of the future of Flight on the Windows PC, visit www.microsoft.com/games/flight

But lets not all just jump to conclusions here, we have a 30 second trailer, 3 paragraphs, and a name.
If they're going the release a Demo, that's the first time when we'll know what it really is.

Actually, you also have something else-some character art in the game's webpage that seems to match the voice you hear in the trailer.

#40 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

YES!! Although they better not be :hrmm: stupid and re-code the whole sim [i.e. they should make it compatible with FSX addons], because every developer would have to create a new version of their product that they have done for FSX.