- - - - -

Most Bizzare Method To Save Fuel Consumption!

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#41 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

View PostEmbraer, on Aug 25 2010, 08:45 PM, said:

Judging by what you say, your the idiot. Your post keep on saying that if a fighter jet can do it, then so can a airliner. So will a tram car going up 10,000 feet help save electricity? Since you know, there can "technically" aircraft.

-puts on his best talking to a three-year old voice-

Yeah...because...you know...the fighter is much smaller than the 707 or DC-10 it's flying right behind...and yet, it can keep enough lift and speed...to you know...connect to the aircraft....so...you know, logic states that..ya' know...an even bigger plane...you know, something that has more maaaaaaaasss than the fighter should have...ya' know...less of a problem...especially since the biiiiiiiiigger plane will be flying more faaaaaaar awaaaaay and not riiiiight behiiiiiiiind the lead plane...

Edited by Yay4Afterburners, 25 August 2010 - 08:48 PM.

#42 E-Jet

E-Jet

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

View PostYay4Afterburners, on Aug 25 2010, 10:47 PM, said:

-puts on his best talking to a three-year old voice-

Yeah...because...you know...the fighter is much smaller than the 707 or DC-10 it's flying right behind...and yet, it can keep enough lift and speed...to you know...connect to the aircraft....so...you know, logic states that..ya' know...an even bigger plane...you know, something that has more maaaaaaaasss than the fighter should have...ya' know...less of a problem...especially since the biiiiiiiiigger plane will be flying more faaaaaaar awaaaaay and not riiiiight behiiiiiiiind the lead plane...

Maybe you should go over your post more because your the one that's comparing themmmm.

Edited by Embraer, 25 August 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#43 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

View PostEmbraer, on Aug 25 2010, 08:50 PM, said:

- Puts on his best retarded voice -

Maybe you should go over your post more because your the one that's comparing themmmm.

Maybe you're young enough that you need a picture book. Yeees...all of these airliners...just painted different colors and with different stuff inside them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Understand now, honey? Non-fighters CAN do it too.

#44 E-Jet

E-Jet

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

I don't care, that isn't my point. You keep comparing them like they are the same type of aircraft. Answer my question, can a DC 10 or 747 doing what these 2 F14s are doing?

Posted Image

#45 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

View PostEmbraer, on Aug 25 2010, 09:07 PM, said:

I don't care, that isn't my point. You keep comparing them like they are the same type of aircraft. Answer my question, can a DC 10 or 747 doing what these 2 F14s are doing?

Posted Image

Even though what the F-14s are doing isn't relevant, I will humor you.

Yeah...it's just flying straight and level and doing a well timed sharp bank...there was actually a flight team of C-130s (militarized airliner) did that exact same thing.

#46 E-Jet

E-Jet

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

View PostYay4Afterburners, on Aug 25 2010, 11:11 PM, said:

Even though what the F-14s are doing isn't relevant, I will humor you.

Yeah...it's just flying straight and level and doing a well timed sharp bank...there was actually a flight team of C-130s (militarized airliner) did that exact same thing.

It is very relevant, it is proving my point. No Airliner can/will do that without crashing. Again, a militarized C-130 that isn't a jet airliner. Again, do you need glasses to read ?

#47 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

View PostEmbraer, on Aug 25 2010, 09:13 PM, said:

It is very relevant, it is proving my point. No Airliner can/will do that without crashing. Again, a militarized C-130 that isn't a jet airliner. Again, do you need glasses to read ?

Oh really?

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the C-130 is a militarized propliner called the L-100. Delta even operated them for a time.

Edited by Yay4Afterburners, 25 August 2010 - 09:20 PM.

#48 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

Airliners have done it... I saw it on the History channel. No one listens in these forums... They did it as a test. Very efficient, but very impractical and there are safety concerns. I specifically have the video clip in my head I'll have to find it online somewhere. Basically two airliners very closely inched together and then one of the wings bucked a little bit and stabilized as it got into the other wing's vortex. They saw dramatic increase in lift.

LISTEN UP PEOPLE STOP ARGUING WITH EACH OTHER ITS ANNOYING!

#49 E-Jet

E-Jet

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

As you can clearly see in the picture, the jets bank is approaching 90 degrees. How about this?

Posted Image  

Send me a picture of a airliner doing what the F15 is doing.

#50 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

View PostEmbraer, on Aug 25 2010, 09:25 PM, said:

As you can clearly see in the picture, the jets bank is approaching 90 degrees. How about this?

Posted Image  

Send me a picture of a airliner doing what the F15 is doing.

What is you problem? "WHAT ABOUT THIS!? HUH!? HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!? YEAH, I WANNA LOOK LIKE A SMART BIG BOY!!!!!" :hrmm:

What those fighters are doing in this picture has nooooooooooothing to do in this topic. I never said an airliner can do everything a fighter can, but there are some things which they can, including flying in formation, which has been proven by both military and civilian pilots. :P Breaking at 90-degrees and nine gs is not relevant to straight and level flight with a half mile trail. :hrmm:

#51 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Embraer:Answer my question, can a DC 10 or 747 doing what these 2 F14s are doing?

Excluding your reference to supersonic speed ability, I actually on many times had seen 747s and A340s doing what F14s did in your pic. South African Airlines always love to pull those stunts many times using their 747s and A340s in formation.

Also EL AL pilots are trained to do that with 747s and 777s as well as any EL AL planes as required by training before they can fly for EL AL.

What about SUPER HEAVY B-52s in formations????

Anyway thanks to all for very interesting intellectual discussions.

Aharon

#52 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

http://www.airliners...-121/0652599/L/

Posted Image

A318 in a 90-degree bank.

In your face, Embraer!

#53 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

I like airplanes.

#54 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:15 AM

In regards to "what if they go into a cloud'

Again, it is possible to fly in formation in clouds.

#55 Mr Smooth.

Mr Smooth.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

Big jets/Airliners can fly in formation but there are a lot of risks. Military converted airliners do it because they are willing to take the risks, they take risks everyday by flying over war zones. It's not good to take these risks with a airliner full of 500 people x 3.

#56 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:57 AM

FSW. Arguing against noobs and everything small since 2003

#57 Aharon

Aharon

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:16 AM

View Postiranair787, on Aug 26 2010, 07:57 AM, said:

FSW. Arguing against noobs and everything small since 2003

Why do you think I call them child minded or children??:hrmm::):hrmm:

Aharon

#58 salvour

salvour

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

U said about pilots keeping eye on their lead. During air show/formation flying, the pilots can keep their eye on the lead as these usually lasted about an hour or so. However, for long distance commercial flying, how can the pilot keep their eye constantly on their lead.

#59 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

View Postsalvour, on Aug 26 2010, 10:54 AM, said:

U said about pilots keeping eye on their lead. During air show/formation flying, the pilots can keep their eye on the lead as these usually lasted about an hour or so. However, for long distance commercial flying, how can the pilot keep their eye constantly on their lead.

Same way those air show pilots and other pilots fly in formation during transit.

#60 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

View PostYay4Afterburners, on Aug 26 2010, 02:32 PM, said:

Same way those air show pilots and other pilots fly in formation during transit.

You can't expect any pilot to do that for more than 4 hours, or mistakes will become immanent as fatigue sets in.