61 replies to this topic

#41 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Will Rod Machado be in it again? The written tutorials were very good and comprehensive but I hated him during the practical courses.

#42 AlexKitch

AlexKitch

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

I'm calling :hrmm: too, sorry :hrmm:  Don't take it personally.

I'm a coder at a Microsoft studio (not related to Aces or the Flight Simulator projects) and know all too well how strict NDA policies are.  I'd never discuss a project even to my own mother.

#43 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

Well to be fair, he really hasn't said anything about it. He just said that we should ask questions then essentially either repeated or said he'd bring the suggestion up. Maybe a little but of discussion but really nothing. It could be real..

#44 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

View Post-Brandon-, on Sep 7 2010, 11:04 PM, said:

Well to be fair, he really hasn't said anything about it. He just said that we should ask questions then essentially either repeated or said he'd bring the suggestion up. Maybe a little but of discussion but really nothing. It could be real..
To be honest, anyone could have speculated what the OP is posting.

Until we get some information backed with sources, I'm going to have to call bull :hrmm: on the OP.

#45 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

View PostN200PW, on Sep 4 2010, 02:19 PM, said:

Not quite sure about controls but in the past its all been pretty similar so I'm sure they will have it close to the same. About the rig I'm also thinking you will need a rig that is pretty dam powerful the graphics at a "flight" lvl of performance but they will be no dought better then FSX so get ready to spend some money on new parts especially if you have an average comp.

sorry if I'm being not very clear but I can not say much yet about the game
This is the part that's a big question mark on the whole topic.

Microsoft's main intention of delivering this game was to avoid past mistakes. Part of their previous failure was developing a game that could hardly work, even four years after it came out.

If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft Flight is meant to be like pre-FSX titles: a game that might require you to update but not as major as the upgrade you need to run FSX. In other words, a casual game that can work normally with most new-generation computers by the time it comes out. But I sure don't expect another heavy investment into super-machines otherwise I'm definitely not buying it cause I don't think I'll ever play games on desktops again. I mostly use laptops these days and if Microsoft Flight cant work decent enough in 2012 by a new Alienware laptop or the likes then I'm not going to waste my time with it.

But from what Microsoft promised so far, I should expect the satisfaction that I'm looking for.

#46 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

View PostMohammad, on Sep 12 2010, 05:18 AM, said:

This is the part that's a big question mark on the whole topic.

Microsoft's main intention of delivering this game was to avoid past mistakes. Part of their previous failure was developing a game that could hardly work, even four years after it came out.

If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft Flight is meant to be like pre-FSX titles: a game that might require you to update but not as major as the upgrade you need to run FSX. In other words, a casual game that can work normally with most new-generation computers by the time it comes out. But I sure don't expect another heavy investment into super-machines otherwise I'm definitely not buying it cause I don't think I'll ever play games on desktops again. I mostly use laptops these days and if Microsoft Flight cant work decent enough in 2012 by a new Alienware laptop or the likes then I'm not going to waste my time with it.

But from what Microsoft promised so far, I should expect the satisfaction that I'm looking for.

Maybe by then XP 10 won't look so dead, and it has better performance definitely.

#47 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

Find it weird.....how FSX was released in 2006 and only in 2010 are people actually capable of almost playing it maxxed out

#48 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

View PostPeter797, on Sep 12 2010, 07:57 PM, said:

Find it weird.....how FSX was released in 2006 and only in 2010 are people actually capable of almost playing it maxxed out

Maxed out?  Not quite there yet, I bet MS Flight will be out before FSX can be maxed out :hrmm:

#49 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

I'll be fine with having to upgrade my components next year, of Flight is released then. That is, as long as the upgrades are getting me a solid 25+ FPS.

What I won't be okay with is me still having to upgrade in 2015 to try and run the program half-decently.

#50 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:05 PM

^This.

I've simply had it with FSX.

I don't mind the upgrade but I certainly hope it can run properly on gaming laptops as well. Gaming laptops are becoming much more advanced and sophisticated than before. Surely, without addons and normal-to-high settings, I should be expected to play this game with decent/smooth frames on an Alienware laptop, which is basically high-end PC gaming when taken into consideration (cream of the crop as they say).

Now if Microsoft Flight turns out to be the exact same problem as FSX, I wouldn't care how 'realistic' it will be as an experience, I won't waste my time or money on it.

The whole purpose of this new game is to rid of past errors/mistakes. Making another game that will become a nightmare like FSX is practically a suicide mission for Microsoft and their integrity as future bearers of this franchise. In other words, if they don't change their tactics from FSX, they can sod off.

#51 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

Let me be quite honest and say: FSX does look good. Considering it's from 2006, it's a very pretty game.

But there comes a point where eye candy becomes overwhelming and starts to crush performance. Hopefully, Microsoft Flight will utilize a new engine that will allow good visuals combined with snappy performance.

#52 Mindst0rm

Mindst0rm

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

FSX was a game that forced many users to sacrifice stunning visuals for performance. If I had to guess, I think Microsoft might be going with the "arcade theme" so users can now sacrifice realism for performance and still get cutting edge graphics. Flight Simulator has always been a high learning curve game that usually only appeals to a brighter and more intelligent target audience, and has kept simple minded gamers from becoming users. I think Microsoft decided to trim all the realism so they can load it with eye candy and market the product to a larger simple minded audience.
Sorry if I sound like an egocentric jerk. :hrmm:  Does my theory make sense to anyone?

Edited by Mindst0rm, 17 September 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#53 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:24 AM

View PostMindst0rm, on Sep 17 2010, 09:36 PM, said:

FSX was a game that forced many users to sacrifice stunning visuals for performance. If I had to guess, I think Microsoft might be going with the "arcade theme" so users can now sacrifice realism for performance and still get cutting edge graphics. Flight Simulator has always been a high learning curve game that usually only appeals to a brighter and more intelligent target audience, and has kept simple minded gamers from becoming users. I think Microsoft decided to trim all the realism so they can load it with eye candy and market the product to a larger simple minded audience.
Sorry if I sound like an egocentric jerk. :hrmm:  Does my theory make sense to anyone?
I'm not sure what you sounded like but I thought it was kinda funny :hrmm:

#54 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:45 AM

View PostMindst0rm, on Sep 17 2010, 10:36 PM, said:

FSX was a game that forced many users to sacrifice stunning visuals for performance. If I had to guess, I think Microsoft might be going with the "arcade theme" so users can now sacrifice realism for performance and still get cutting edge graphics.
This is perfect. Well said. :hrmm:

#55 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

The only thing that is being sacrificed is the aircraft performance. It won't be as realistic. So, it may be a little more arcade-like, but that's why we have add-on developers. The great thing is that they say they have ironed out all the problems and bugs with the FSX engine, which is being used for MS Flight. I hope that's true. (That the fixed it)

:hrmm:

#56 Mindst0rm

Mindst0rm

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

I just hope this arcade theme doesn't limit addon compatibility. Every bug or undesired result of an addon in FSX usually has something to do with FSX's own limitations. It sounds to me like an arcade theme would only present more limitations and barriers. I can't say I'm too excited about MS Flight. I, as well as most of you guys here, prefer genuine realism over eye candy. I've also noticed that anytime Microsoft says they've fixed a bug, they usually add a new one somewhere else, and eventually just give up on it.
I remember only a couple years ago, how hyped and excited I was for FSX to be released. I went and bought what I thought was a powerful rig and installed FSX, only to get a giant middle finger from Microsoft. I do not care to repeat that process. I would like to think Microsoft learned from their past mistakes, but it sounds to me like they're already making new mistakes. I think an arcade theme would just say ":hrmm: you!" to the dedicated simmers that make up the majority of their customer base. :hrmm:

Edited by Mindst0rm, 19 September 2010 - 03:09 PM.

#57 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:28 PM

I seriously hope they start supporting gamepads. :hrmm:

FSX is hardly compatible with my Xbox 360 controller. Unlike other games (see: Just Cause 2, Mirror's Edge, Batman: Arkham Asylum), where the entire game, including the menu interface, is gamepad-friendly.

#58 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:54 AM

^ How can you play a Flight Sim with a gamepad :hrmm:

#59 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:26 AM

View Postpwn247, on Sep 21 2010, 10:28 PM, said:

I seriously hope they start supporting gamepads. :hrmm:

FSX is hardly compatible with my Xbox 360 controller. Unlike other games (see: Just Cause 2, Mirror's Edge, Batman: Arkham Asylum), where the entire game, including the menu interface, is gamepad-friendly.

Perhaps you should play HAWX rather than FS if you want to use a game pad....

#60 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

View Postpyruvate, on Sep 22 2010, 06:54 AM, said:

^ How can you play a Flight Sim with a gamepad :hrmm:
I connect an Xbox 360 controller to my PC. Works awesome with choppers in FSX. Just like a joystick.

View Postwynthorpe, on Sep 22 2010, 07:26 AM, said:

Perhaps you should play HAWX rather than FS if you want to use a game pad....
:hrmm:

I am a fan of HAWX, but FSX has a lot more "flying" and a lot less "dogfighting". :P

A Microsoft developer interviewed with Gamespot played with a 360 controller, so don't act like it's impossible. See here:

Posted Image

Edited by pwn247, 22 September 2010 - 10:35 AM.