#43 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

View PostAlex Bailey, on Oct 23 2010, 07:37 PM, said:

Well hopefully between Microsoft, Aerosoft, and Cascade Game Foundry we will have at least one good flight sim.  
But honestly this??  They outta just call it Microsoft Flight X

I don't know why you think Cascade Game Foundry is producing a Flight Simulator.  Unless you've seen something I haven't, CGF has never announced they were producing a Flight Simulator title and furthermore, I thought they basically said not to expect one.

#44 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:14 AM

In all honesty, I can't say I'm the least bit excited for this one.  Having watched all three of their videos, it's quite clear the first one was not in-game footage.  The other two were definitely in-game, but truthfully it didn't look much (if any) different from a maxed out FSX sim.

If they don't include DX11 and Multi-GPU technology into their engine, this game will be a disaster and nothing different from FSX.  DX11 has major potential in a sim like this.  Imagine all the high-quality textures on new airplane models, or even the airports.  Of course a game like this would probably take up 50+GB's of space but who cares?  We've got 1-3TB hard drives out these days, sell the copies on Blu-Rays simple as that.

I honestly think, if Microsoft wants to make a killer sim, they should take all the time they need to rebuild the sim from the ground up, using new technologies that include DX11, Crossfire & SLI, and of course, stellar multi-core & multi-threaded CPU support.  I don't care if it takes them three years to do it.

Anyway - Hope they come up with something magical here  :hrmm:

#45 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

View PostToby Werner, on Oct 24 2010, 10:44 AM, said:

In all honesty, I can't say I'm the least bit excited for this one.  Having watched all three of their videos, it's quite clear the first one was not in-game footage.  The other two were definitely in-game, but truthfully it didn't look much (if any) different from a maxed out FSX sim.

If they don't include DX11 and Multi-GPU technology into their engine, this game will be a disaster and nothing different from FSX.  DX11 has major potential in a sim like this.  Imagine all the high-quality textures on new airplane models, or even the airports.  Of course a game like this would probably take up 50+GB's of space but who cares?  We've got 1-3TB hard drives out these days, sell the copies on Blu-Rays simple as that.

I honestly think, if Microsoft wants to make a killer sim, they should take all the time they need to rebuild the sim from the ground up, using new technologies that include DX11, Crossfire & SLI, and of course, stellar multi-core & multi-threaded CPU support.  I don't care if it takes them three years to do it.

Anyway - Hope they come up with something magical here  :P

Bingo :hrmm:

That alone would transform a buggy, unstable 15 fps to 150 fps :hrmm:

Edited by pyruvate, 24 October 2010 - 12:21 AM.

#46 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:51 AM

View PostToby Werner, on Oct 23 2010, 10:14 PM, said:

I honestly think, if Microsoft wants to make a killer sim,

Which they might not be aiming to do.  It is pretty much a fact that Microsoft is no longer trying to create a realistic sim and to be honest, they never were, but they are even less on that idea now.  Previous "sims." only became good "flight sims." with addons.  Microsoft Flight will probably be no different and people need to expect that.  They have already said they are looking to broaden the audience while still keeping the core.  That means taking FSX and probably making more of a game out of it.  Honestly, as long as they make it have good performance from the start and have it completely open to addon developers, I would have no problem with Microsoft Flight.

#47 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

View PostLA_BOS, on Oct 24 2010, 01:51 AM, said:

Which they might not be aiming to do.  It is pretty much a fact that Microsoft is no longer trying to create a realistic sim and to be honest, they never were, but they are even less on that idea now.  Previous "sims." only became good "flight sims." with addons.  Microsoft Flight will probably be no different and people need to expect that.  They have already said they are looking to broaden the audience while still keeping the core.  That means taking FSX and probably making more of a game out of it.  Honestly, as long as they make it have good performance from the start and have it completely open to addon developers, I would have no problem with Microsoft Flight.

Doesn't have to be a sim, we'll turn it into one with addons. But these guys just really need to fix their engine. Not just build on FSX.

#48 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:44 AM

Watch the videos: You can see the game stuttering even in their :hrmm: promo videos. What a joke.

I'm sure Microsoft Flight had a ton of brainstorming sessions. Could one guy not speak up and say "Hey guys- the game runs like Rosie O'Donnell in a triathlon, perhaps we could fix this?" I mean really. There seems to be a lot of herp derping going on over at the MS Flight development office. After FSX, I'm not going to buy a sim that will run slow on my computer. I think we all can agree that performance should always come before visuals.

#49 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

View Postpwn247, on Oct 24 2010, 09:14 PM, said:

Watch the videos: You can see the game stuttering even in their :hrmm: promo videos. What a joke.

I'm sure Microsoft Flight had a ton of brainstorming sessions. Could one guy not speak up and say "Hey guys- the game runs like Rosie O'Donnell in a triathlon, perhaps we could fix this?" I mean really. There seems to be a lot of herp derping going on over at the MS Flight development office. After FSX, I'm not going to buy a sim that will run slow on my computer. I think we all can agree that performance should always come before visuals.

If the final product is just another :hrmm: screw up like FSX ("MICROSOFT FLIGHT, THE NEW GAME FROM MICROSOFT WHICH REQUIRES 10 TIMES MORE POWER THAN FSX, 10 TIMES THE BUGS, AND CRASHES 10 TIMES MORE FREQUENT!!").  We need to Coup d'état the FS department at M$ :P

#50 seat183

seat183

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

Does anyone have another video link the original will not view for me!

#51 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

View Postseat183, on Oct 24 2010, 12:02 PM, said:

Does anyone have another video link the original will not view for me!
keTDuAz8Hbo

#52 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

View Postpwn247, on Oct 24 2010, 08:44 AM, said:

Is it still not clear to you that this is a preview video of a WORK IN PROGRESS!!! They aren't done!!! Things can change. Maybe they plan on fixing the stuttering. Also, not every video you watch online is smooth, and I wouldn't expect it to be since the Flight website is flash. I see a little less stuttering if I watch it on youtube.

#53 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

Not meaning to sound like a blubbering fool here but;

I told you so!

#54 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

I'm starting to think that video is a joke someone has made up, it can't be, it just can't be!

#55 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

View PostDr...Watson, on Oct 24 2010, 03:24 PM, said:

I'm starting to think that video is a joke someone has made up, it can't be, it just can't be!

That's what you get when you set your expectations to high. Microsoft was never pedantic in the creation of their games, and I didn't see how this one was going to be any different.

That would be like expecting EA to create a realistic football game with the Madden franchise. :hrmm:

#56 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

View PostWater_Boy, on Oct 24 2010, 06:27 PM, said:

That would be like expecting EA to create a realistic football game with the Madden franchise. :hrmm:

You mean coaches don't actually hit a button to "Ask Madden" what play that should call?  :hrmm:, I thought I was the best offensive play caller known to mankind. :P

#57 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

View PostLA_BOS, on Oct 24 2010, 09:52 PM, said:

You mean coaches don't actually hit a button to "Ask Madden" what play that should call?  :hrmm:, I thought I was the best offensive play caller known to mankind. :hrmm:

Actually I rarely use that feature as I don't agree with the plays that Madden calls most of the time. As a result I always run up the score enormously. See my Madden thread in the Nonsense sub-forum. :P

#58 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

View PostWater_Boy, on Oct 24 2010, 06:56 PM, said:

Actually I rarely use that feature as I don't agree with the plays that Madden calls most of the time. As a result I always run up the score enormously. See my Madden thread in the Nonsense sub-forum. :hrmm:

LOL, the last time I played Madden was so long ago but that is the one feature I remember because I'm not a football fan.  I would ask Madden at least half the time.

But I do remember your thread about that. :hrmm:

#59 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:54 PM

View PostHughes-MDflyer4, on Oct 24 2010, 01:30 PM, said:

Is it still not clear to you that this is a preview video of a WORK IN PROGRESS!!! They aren't done!!! Things can change. Maybe they plan on fixing the stuttering. Also, not every video you watch online is smooth, and I wouldn't expect it to be since the Flight website is flash. I see a little less stuttering if I watch it on youtube.

Look, we've learned to drop the positive attitude.

For years upon years, with almost every single release, it's almost been a nightmare of unfulfilled expectations. FSX seemed to promise the next generation of flight simulator. What did we get? One big lie of a game.

Most video games today preview and people can expect certain things from those games. It's a comfortable environment, knowing at least you're probably going to have good graphics and a good engine. This is why FS has only made us angry. They make it look great, while we all find ourselves buying a piece of :hrmm: on release day.

We've had enough of the constant broken promises, because that's all we expect anymore. Please drop the positive attitude. It has not and will not make the game any better.

#60 AGuyFawkesMask

AGuyFawkesMask

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

View PostIndependence76, on Oct 24 2010, 10:54 PM, said:

Look, we've learned to drop the positive attitude.

For years upon years, with almost every single release, it's almost been a nightmare of unfulfilled expectations. FSX seemed to promise the next generation of flight simulator. What did we get? One big lie of a game.
Most video games today preview and people can expect certain things from those games. It's a comfortable environment, knowing at least you're probably going to have good graphics and a good engine. This is why FS has only made us angry. They make it look great, while we all find ourselves buying a piece of :hrmm: on release day.
We've had enough of the constant broken promises, because that's all we expect anymore. Please drop the positive attitude. It has not and will not make the game any better.
Finally! Someone said it! I might have only been apart of FS since 2004, but looking back at 2002, 2004, and FSX, not one has satisfied anyone in terms of what people wanted and wanted to see fixed. "Unfulfilled expectations" is the best way of putting it. There is no reason to keep a positive attitude for any of this! It might be the way that I look at it, but I just hate seeing so many people get all excited for something that so many of us know is going to be yet another one of MS's fails!

Until a bunch of us learn code and put our knowledge together so we can build the best FS from our perspective (as a community), the only thing we can do about MS Flight is pray. MO.