- - - - -

July Video Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Who has the skills to win this month? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Who has the skills to win this month?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 djtom12

djtom12

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:04 AM

Welcome, once again to the monthly FS2004.com video contest. Thanks for entering everybody, and I wish you all good luck :o .

The entries...

Entry 1

Entry 2

Entry 3

Entry 4

Voting ends July 25!

Edited by TimW, 18 December 2004 - 10:08 AM.

#2 F/O James

F/O James

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:27 AM

djtom,

i pretty sure i send my entry to you, did u not get it?

Mod:   yes, I got your entry, but the link was invalid, nothing was there to download.

Edited by djtom12, 15 July 2004 - 04:47 PM.

#3 Byron

Byron

Contributor\First Class Member\Screenshot Contest Host

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:47 PM

Vote goes to Anarchystyle01.

Excellent video!  :o

#4 MeltedPixel

MeltedPixel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:52 PM

I think you should not put the usernames to vote. Just put number 1 through 4. That way everyone has no clue who they are voting for. I know a lot of people who are biased around here to certian users, its kind of un-fair for other entries. Then again, thats just my opinion.

Mod:   Yes, that's a good idea MeltedPixel, but it's too late now. Maybe I should have, but people know who's entry is whos, and besides people put their names in their entry. Oh well

Edited by djtom12, 15 July 2004 - 04:50 PM.

#5 MeltedPixel

MeltedPixel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:51 PM

Anyway, here is my say at the videos:

Another one with the "Danger Zone" theme? Its been done lord knows how many times. Try to come up with something original. I also think your video would have been better without all the weird editing. It really takes away from the video and makes it look amateurish. You also have blocks of just black screen for up to 5 seconds at a time. This disrupts the flow of the video.

I say nice job, but focus more on the production, ideas and angles then effects.

Very nice! Love how you timed everything up with the song. The only thing I can see is how low the FPS are. FRAPS is a killer, nothing you can do about it. Second is the one part with that fill. Looks like you tried to make the frames go by with the fill in 1/16th notes. However, it appears to me you came in a bit late and finished a bit late too.

Overall, good job! :o

Wow, you were really flying around in that bus! Looks like you need to slow down your FPS in fraps, speeds everything up how you have it now. I really like the idea you had for this video. Looks like you floated a bit in that A320 :o.

Overall, not bad! Work on timing things up with the music a bit more. It would have been awesome if that 747 came in with the crescendo. Instead it came in a bit early. Its little stuff that makes the difference between a good and great video.

Not bad, punk :o

I hope I did not come across arrogant in anyway. You can all call me Simon from now on B)

#6 anarchystyle01

anarchystyle01

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:20 PM

meltedpixel:

ya i know what you mean. i since i have made that video i have really grown up from all of that editing. that was made a long time ago http://www.flightsim...ead.php?t=18101

the only reason i entered this one was that it was the only one that met all the requirements (15mb or less). when i watch it today the editing still really bugs me.  :o i have a new one up at the flightsimmer and simflight forums. but those all are too big  :o

#7 dolbinau

dolbinau

Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:55 PM

MeltedPixel, on Jul 15 2004, 04:51 PM, said:

Another one with the "Danger Zone" theme? Its been done lord knows how many times. Try to come up with something original. I also think your video would have been better without all the weird editing. It really takes away from the video and makes it look amateurish. You also have blocks of just black screen for up to 5 seconds at a time. This disrupts the flow of the video.

I say nice job, but focus more on the production, ideas and angles then effects.

Very nice! Love how you timed everything up with the song. The only thing I can see is how low the FPS are. FRAPS is a killer, nothing you can do about it. Second is the one part with that fill. Looks like you tried to make the frames go by with the fill in 1/16th notes. However, it appears to me you came in a bit late and finished a bit late too.

Wow, you were really flying around in that bus! Looks like you need to slow down your FPS in fraps, speeds everything up how you have it now. I really like the idea you had for this video. Looks like you floated a bit in that A320 B).

Overall, not bad! Work on timing things up with the music a bit more. It would have been awesome if that 747 came in with the crescendo. Instead it came in a bit early. Its little stuff that makes the difference between a good and great video.

I hope I did not come across arrogant in anyway. You can all call me Simon from now on :clap:
Since Melted had his say, i think i want to have mine.

First of all, I don't think that covering the names up will work.

You can easily tell that my website in myn.

and most people want to have thier names in the video.

I have learned alot since i came to this forum and i'm so glad i came!  :o .

anyway, here is what it think.

Melted you are right, i have seen probably at least 7 video's using this song.
I do remember seing this video a VERY VERY long time ago, so the author was right saying it was an earlier video. I think he just recieved this program and was excited, thus indicating all the panning/zooms/effects. But i still liked it, i think less paning and zooming would of made it better!

Thanks for the comments melted, i tried to make it in-time with the music like you suggested! Hope i can do better next time

Julien! another one of your very creative video's, i loved it, except i kinda was dispointed, i thought someone bad was going to happen and i was sorta tense, only to be let down :D. I think someone bad needed to happen :D. But it was creative and still good anyway, it must be hard to think about scenrios like this!

[b]4/b]

Melted i think the music does fit, but there were some scenes that were too dark to see what was happening.

And you did use the same manovure (flipping over) ALOT. I feel that you rushed this and i think you should take more time, but overall it was exiting :)

[i] Overall i think there are great video's this month! and i hope i learn from people comments and that you take myn into account, i didn't want to sound snobby if anyone has the impression that i am[i/]

Edited by dolbinau, 15 July 2004 - 07:04 PM.

#8 Byron

Byron

Contributor\First Class Member\Screenshot Contest Host

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:44 PM

MeltedPixel, on Jul 15 2004, 10:52 PM, said:

I know a lot of people who are biased around here to certian users
What makes you think that?

And I, too, think the video contest should be anonymous from now on. Just let the authors leave their names out of their videos.

#9 Julien

Julien

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:44 PM

MeltedPixel, on Jul 15 2004, 05:51 PM, said:

Wow, you were really flying around in that bus! Looks like you need to slow down your FPS in fraps, speeds everything up how you have it now. I really like the idea you had for this video. Looks like you floated a bit in that A320 B).

I hope I did not come across arrogant in anyway. You can all call me Simon from now on :D
Melted...in some scenes I had to double the speed up to shorten the movie to fit the song. And I thought the parts of the song went very well with the video.

That bus never flew lol, it was always on the ground... :o

Hey guys, I can't make something bad happen in every movie, but there was a scenario/plot in this video, with the storm and strong winds.

dolbinau, I don't like portraying the image of people dieing. If I had a 747 crashing, that wouldn't have been very nice now would it. It was the whole point of making you tense throughout the whole film.

Thanks for any votes I get because I can't see the number of votes  :D

Great movies you all!

Edited by Julien, 15 July 2004 - 07:47 PM.

#10 Derek

Derek

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:07 PM

anarchystyle01 got my vote great video.  I agree if you would have lost some of the effects it would have been better.  But the blurring with the afterburners was awesome

#11 TeenMaverick

TeenMaverick

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:14 PM

#1...how many effects did you try out bro?

#2..What is this a contest or a publicity stunt?

#3...great vid...but why do all your vids feature a negative theme...do you need counseling?

#4...Ok why are you so low during the daytime...in a stealth fighter? Defeats the purpose of spending millions on R&D and hiding its secrets for several years...if your just going to show everyone its capabilites inflight...as said before...constant rolls...but nice little feature in the end...by editing different clips to form one seemless dynamic roll.

#12 MeltedPixel

MeltedPixel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:18 PM

TeenMaverick: What else are you supposed to do in the steath fighter? I did some steep turns, but try a flip in one. Ain't gonna work very well :o. Someone mentioned above that the night seen was hard to see in the begining. Would you like the whole movie to be at night?

I was'nt developing a demo video for lockheed, so I made it as exciting as possible.

dolbinau, I actually spent close to 35 hours working on this video over the course of a week. I planned all the scenes beforehand. I did not use any transitions in this video (other then one fade) as I wanted the video to be agressive. I also wanted to see how close I could get to the beat of the song.

#13 Julien

Julien

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:09 PM

TeenMaverick, on Jul 15 2004, 09:14 PM, said:

#3...great vid...but why do all your vids feature a negative theme...do you need counseling?

#4...Ok why are you so low during the daytime...in a stealth fighter? Defeats the purpose of spending millions on R&D and hiding its secrets for several years...if your just going to show everyone its capabilites inflight...as said before...constant rolls...but nice little feature in the end...by editing different clips to form one seemless dynamic roll.
about #3....lol because videos with plots and problems keep the suspense up and the viewer's attention. Its isn't like a documentary but an action film  :o

Only 4 of my videos have been like that, the countless others have been peaceful  :o

#14 djtom12

djtom12

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:23 AM

Ok, I don't know what's been going off here recently because I've been too busy to browse around the forums. But, what I do know is that a lot of you seem to have changed and taken a very harsh attitude towards me about the structure of the contests. I've changed the entries to numbers, but if you think I cause trouble and too much cheating then take over the job yourself.

#15 dolbinau

dolbinau

Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:50 AM

TeenMaverick, on Jul 15 2004, 08:14 PM, said:

lol, i just read this then.

LOL All your comments sound sorta phycastic (but true).

#1, maybe anarchy was just trying out the program

#2, LOL you have a point, but if you imagine the text not being there, its still (my) a video, i was/am still finishing a video so i entered this one!

#3, i enjoy Juliens video like this and i hope he does MORE!

#4, i think being low creates suspense, excitment, even though its unrealistic, its a video, anything can happen :o

#16 JohnBAC1-11

JohnBAC1-11

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:06 PM

1- Was great another classic work pretty well.

2. Another great vid some good angles.

3- Excelent this one very good love the track.

4- This was ok timeing was good with some parts but the music grr hate that punk rock stuff.

My vote is for you Julien good job  :o

#17 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2004 - 04:00 PM

Pst... Thats not punk rock.. :o

#18 Hornet

Hornet

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:59 PM

I voted for Julien's video. :o They all were awesome and I had a hard time choosing though.

#19 PSW

PSW

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:28 PM

Hello everyone !

These four videos are very well-made. Here are my comments. I didn't do Entry 1 because the link did not work.

Entry 2 :

Hard to say because it was a promotional video for my company. However, I'll make some points.

- I didn't really like the end because we added a small portion of additional music to accomodate the CRJ-700 Staff list, we'll make a change to that in the future.

- We mainly used the Sunset backgrounds and I hope to use different ones in the future.

Entry 3 :

Excellent Perspectives :

-  The notion was very good and the test provided was an assistant for some who did not understand the concept (like me at first  :o ).

-  The aircraft and scenery were very nice.

-  The timing and rhythm were on the beat and the music used was in accordance with the presentation.

Future Video Tips :

-  Try not to use too much text so the viewer can figure out what's going on, there was a little bit too much of text in this one.

Overall, this video is excellent and I recommend more series !

Entry 4:

Positive Areas:

-  The aircraft displayed was very nice.

-  The background portrayed was not bad at all.

Suggestions for the Future

-  In general, three-quarters of the video was too dark to see.

-  The music was not a very good companion with the presentation. It had many upbeats and downbeats, and was too shaky for me !  :o   :o

-  I didn't understand what the goal of the video was.

It's a very good video and keep practicing !

Thank you and I hoped you like my reviewing.

Cheers,
James

#20 davy2001

davy2001

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:24 AM

NICE ONE DOLBINAU!!!

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WIN!

YOUR VIDEOS ARE THE BEST!!!