63 replies to this topic

#41 ClubCX

ClubCX

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

Improving the social aspect of the game would be a good step to take.  Multiplayer experiences are very popular and flying in a virtual world is particularly well suited to having thousands of participants.  In addition to sharing all physical aircraft data with the server, one potential multiplayer mode could be the ability to log in and fly with other pilots in the sky, but use your own scenery and solitary existence while on the ground.  You wouldn't have to make sacrifices to fly with other pilots.

#42 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

View PostClubCX, on Dec 12 2010, 04:12 PM, said:

Improving the social aspect of the game would be a good step to take.  Multiplayer experiences are very popular and flying in a virtual world is particularly well suited to having thousands of participants.  In addition to sharing all physical aircraft data with the server, one potential multiplayer mode could be the ability to log in and fly with other pilots in the sky, but use your own scenery and solitary existence while on the ground.  You wouldn't have to make sacrifices to fly with other pilots.
Exactly. :hrmm:

Something like Facebook integration...

John Doe has just completed his flight from Denver to New York in Flight.

Jane Doe beat John Doe in a prop race in Flight!

Would be cool.

#43 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

View PostThe_Grinch, on Dec 13 2010, 07:56 AM, said:

Exactly. :hrmm:

Something like Facebook integration...

John Doe has just completed his flight from Denver to New York in Flight.

Jane Doe beat John Doe in a prop race in Flight!

Would be cool.

Oh dear, that would be nuts :hrmm:

#44 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

View PostHughes-MDflyer4, on Dec 11 2010, 10:27 PM, said:

Then switch to X-Plane like Kilo said and stop :hrmm: on about how horrible you THINK MS is!!!  :hrmm:

X-plane hasn't reached near MS in terms of visuals yet, so that is why I haven't made the switch.

Edited by Santa_Claus, 13 December 2010 - 12:25 AM.

#45 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:00 AM

View PostSanta_Claus, on Dec 12 2010, 11:18 PM, said:

X-plane hasn't reached near MS in terms of visuals yet, so that is why I haven't made the switch.

:hrmm:

Ia-EmMvg_e8

#46 Rimshot

Rimshot

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

Like Santa_Claus said, X-Plane graphics are worse than those in FSX, especially if the latter has addon scenery like that of Orbx installed. Ofcourse that's always a matter of taste and opinion.
By the way, that deer running on the runway just before touchdown scared the crap out of me! :hrmm:

Edited by Rimshot, 13 December 2010 - 08:30 AM.

#47 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

View PostPrancer, on Dec 13 2010, 02:00 AM, said:

:hrmm:

Ia-EmMvg_e8

This video shows blurry FS9-style ground textures and extremely sparse autogen and scenery buildings (almost no buildings, very few trees).
XPlane has MANY advantages over FS9 or FSX, but the graphics are NOT part of them.
XPlane 10 might change this, at least for the aircrafts. We saw nothing about ground scenery yet, but what was announced is indeed very promising.

#48 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

View PostDaube, on Dec 13 2010, 08:34 AM, said:

This video shows blurry FS9-style ground textures and extremely sparse autogen and scenery buildings (almost no buildings, very few trees).
XPlane has MANY advantages over FS9 or FSX, but the graphics are NOT part of them.
XPlane 10 might change this, at least for the aircrafts. We saw nothing about ground scenery yet, but what was announced is indeed very promising.

Reason for the blurries and sparse autogen was because I had them set to one of their lowest settings at the time. :hrmm:

#49 ALPHA_FOXTROT_10

ALPHA_FOXTROT_10

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:28 PM

Overall X-plane 9 is very nice, but the scenery is a little dark. Don't really get the same feel as when your flying in fs9 or fsx.

#50 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

View PostPrancer, on Dec 13 2010, 01:07 PM, said:

Reason for the blurries and sparse autogen was because I had them set to one of their lowest settings at the time. :hrmm:
Ah ok.
In other screenshots I could see that the autogen could indeed be much denser than that.
For the blurry ground textures, nothing will change this, since XPlane 9 has the same maximum resolution as FS9, that is 5 meters per pixels.
Hopefully XPlane 10 will be able to get past that limit just like FSX.

Concerning the "darkness" of the scenery, it was a major issues in the old versions of XPlane 9, but at some point the author of this sim finally provided, in one of the many updates, a setting that let the user adjust the luminosity of the general evironment. From that patch on, XPlane9 was no longer "the sim where the sun doesn't shine" :hrmm:

#51 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

@Prancer.

If I asked you for a vid with a 757 VC...could you do it?

or a 767?

Probably not. i bet that's one of the 10 nice addons for xplane :hrmm:

#52 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

View PostPeter797, on Dec 15 2010, 02:45 AM, said:

@Prancer.

or a 767?

Ah! This old argument again..... Doesnt get tiresome in the slightest does it!!!

#53 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

View PostPeter797, on Dec 14 2010, 08:45 PM, said:

@Prancer.

or a 767?

Alternatively, if I asked you for a VC video of a well-designed concept aircraft capable of flying from earth to an airport on Mars, could you do that in FSX?

That's what I thought.

The 757 and 767's been done time and time and time and time and time and time and time again. They've been done before, they suck, I would not complain if every 767 and every 757 in existence was chopped up, burned, then fired into the sun. Let's bring some imagination into the world!

Edited by Prancer, 19 December 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#54 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

View PostPrancer, on Dec 19 2010, 01:51 PM, said:

Alternatively, if I asked you for a VC video of a well-designed concept aircraft capable of flying from earth to an airport on Mars, could you do that in FSX?

That's what I thought.

The 757 and 767's been done time and time and time and time and time and time and time again. They've been done before, they suck, I would not complain if every 767 and every 757 in existence was chopped up, burned, then fired into the sun. Let's bring some imagination into the world!

You might not care about airliners, but many others do. And unfortunately, the aircraft selection in X-Plane is lacking. Airliners aside, the number of quality GA aircraft in X-Plane also pales in comparison to MSFS, as does the number of quality addon sceneries.

X-Plane is getting there, but it isn't quite there yet.

#55 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

View PostPrancer, on Dec 19 2010, 12:51 PM, said:

That's what I thought.
It's possible to do this much cheaper and more realistically:

http://orbit.medphys....ac.uk/home.php

Edited by Flying_Pie, 19 December 2010 - 03:21 PM.

#56 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

View PostTheProfessor, on Dec 10 2010, 07:50 AM, said:

That to me tells me that they aren't making a whole new FS,, they're trying to improve FSX...  maybe it's just the engine they're improving, and then adding new stuff..   which to me is a lot like what MS did to Windows7..  basically where it's just an improved version of Vista...  but as far as your first sentence goes..   this isn't a fresh start..   it's far from a fresh start..  and Microsoft doesn't keep the series alive..   aftermarket developers keep the game alive..

That is what im thinking...I see no fresh start. I see the old engine with more buff being added. If they magically make this engine run smooth and update the graphics ill be very impressed.

#57 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

View PostFlying_Pie, on Dec 19 2010, 02:18 PM, said:

It's possible to do this much cheaper and more realistically:

http://orbit.medphys....ac.uk/home.php

Yeah, but, Orbiter doesn't have any detailed earth at all. I'd much rather a good all-in-one.

#58 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

View PostPrancer, on Dec 19 2010, 02:26 PM, said:

Yeah, but, Orbiter doesn't have any detailed earth at all. I'd much rather a good all-in-one.
That's fair :hrmm:

#59 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

View PostFlying_Pie, on Dec 19 2010, 04:14 PM, said:

That's fair :hrmm:

Not to mention, X-Plane mapped out Mars and has a good representation of a Martian atmosphere, and thus has special aircraft suited for flight on Mars, as WELL as having a well-made earth atmosphere as well.

#60 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

View PostPrancer, on Dec 19 2010, 03:24 PM, said:

Not to mention, X-Plane mapped out Mars and has a good representation of a Martian atmosphere, and thus has special aircraft suited for flight on Mars, as WELL as having a well-made earth atmosphere as well.
Um...cool dude. I'd still recommend Orbiter to anyone and everyone.