55 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

Time for the comparison shots you have all been waiting for. :hrmm: The only things in my shots that are not default are the water shaders and airplanes. Everything else is out of the box default. As usual, locations are matched as closely as possible. I have not been able to find location 2. It seems to be a very tricky one to find, even with help.

Screenshot 1

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 2

Location has not been confirmed

Screenshot 3

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 4

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 5

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Based on these shots, we can conclude that there is a huge improvement to the capabilities of the scenery engine. (probably a rewrite along with a texture set that is going to be completely new. They are probably still working on replacing the textures.) The shaders appear to have been upgraded a good amount. Buildings look like they have self shadows. (visible in shot 2)  The overall lighting on the aircraft in shot 1 and 2 seems very nice compared to FSX. (was forced to use FS9 planes in the comparisons due to the lack of fsx native freeware Stearmans and Vans RV-6A's) The water in Flight is looking good, although lacking some reflection. Hopefully that will be added. As for the waves meeting the coast, that is a huge improvement. Waves washing onto the coast in Flight are like nothing we can get in FSX. It would appear that the sand is even left a little wet from the water! Clouds look mostly the same, although there might be somewhat of an improvement to the way they are rendered. (more coverage?) Sky textures look to have all been redone. That horrible bright blue from FSX looks to be gone. Autogen coverage looks to be quite good. You can see it go out much further into the distance in Flight than in FSX. Ground textures look much better, although blurry in spots. My opinion on this is that the settings were not turned up all the way for these shots. (Microsoft doesn't want to show us even more amazing shots, then end up having to cut out a feature and Flight not look as good in the end.)

Overall, there is a huge improvement to the whole graphics engine. (I'd guess that it's a rewrite in progress, or completed. Texture set could be a work in progress with most of the textures we saw in FSX getting redone) As long as it delivers with these amazing graphics and good performance, it's a definite win. The online store shouldn't kill freeware. It's a store...meaning, it will offer payware, most likely. Freeware will either be available on a specific freeware place at the store, or will be freely available at all the normal add-on websites. Add-on development needs to be a little simpler for beginners, so I hope that they make that a goal.

#2 chef_uk

chef_uk

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

Saw the other thread's screenshots first and wasn't impressed. Now having seen the comparison, they are miles apart. Weird how MS:F looks like its at the level of FSX that we remember. FSX hasn't dated very well at all :/ Once the mods come out, this should be a belter.

#3 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

Great! It seems as though Flight is using some sort of ENB bloom mod?!

#4 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

"Flight" does look much better and the "Spotty" mountain textures are gone it seems! :P

FSX---
Posted Image

PS--just wish My add-ons for FSX will be transferable to Flight!  :hrmm:   :hrmm:

#5 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

:P at FSX's mountain textures in the last one!

View Postfranthree, on Jun 1 2011, 07:39 PM, said:

PS--just wish My add-ons for FSX will be transferable to Flight!  :hrmm:   :hrmm:

If sacrificing backwards compatibility means improved performance, I'm all for it.

By the way... I know you use several Aerosoft products, so I'll just let you know they aren't planning on developing for Flight. ;) I guess that could change, but so far, they've been pretty adamant with their support for X-Plane 10.

#6 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

View PostBuziel-411_RED, on Jun 1 2011, 08:45 PM, said:

By the way... I know you use several Aerosoft products, so I'll just let you know they aren't planning on developing for Flight. :P I guess that could change, but so far, they've been pretty adamant with their support for X-Plane 10.

Phooey Buz! Aerosoft is the best! They give you personal account page and unlimited downloads! :hrmm: But maybe "Flight" default scenery will not need add-on scenery? :hrmm:

#7 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

View Postfranthree, on Jun 1 2011, 07:51 PM, said:

But maybe "Flight" default scenery will not need add-on scenery? :hrmm:

At least FTX, Flytampa, and FSDT have stated their support/hinted at a NDA. :hrmm:

#8 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

Wow. That is a huge improvement so far. I never noticed that in FSX the plane doesn't give shadow to itself, but in Flight it does. Good stuff. Thanks for posting!

View PostBuziel-411_RED, on Jun 1 2011, 05:56 PM, said:

At least FTX, Flytampa, and FSDT have stated their support/hinted at a NDA. :hrmm:
Yes! You were the one who posted something about this months ago about these companies working with Microsoft on MS Flight, right?

Edited by SwitchFX, 01 June 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#9 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Jun 1 2011, 08:14 PM, said:

Yes! You were the one who posted something about this months ago about these companies working with Microsoft on MS Flight, right?

I'm not sure, that might have been me. :hrmm: Either way, I've found various posts by developers on those three forums. It's a shame Aerosoft isn't on board, as I was looking forward to flying their Airbus X in Flight. :hrmm:

#10 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

Just because they haven't said anything it doesn't mean they're not. :hrmm:

#11 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

Thank you for posting. :hrmm:

Please keep in mind that Microsoft has probably also "lightly enhanced" their screenshots in terms of color and contrast.

But MS Flight looks very very nice when it's next to FSX.

Edited by -Dexter, 01 June 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#12 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

Is it me or do the clouds look really nice? In 2007 Tim Fuchs released some free textures pack that upgraded the default FSX textures and made things look much better. That was a teaser for REX that came out later that summer, IIRC. Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's clear that third-party developers have a role in Flight's development.

#13 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Jun 1 2011, 08:24 PM, said:

Just because they haven't said anything it doesn't mean they're not. :hrmm:

Oh, Mathijs has said plenty about Flight.

http://forum.aerosof...45525-afs-2012/

What MS is doing does not interest us a lot. What we now know make it unlikely that this is a proper sucessor to FSX seen from the kind of customer we aim for. Might change of course but right now we do not have any resources on projects for MS Flight.

Aerosoft is going to be one of the main distributors of Xplane 10, it is one of the biggest projects we are working on in the second half of this year. Not only the release itself, but we are also converting add-ons to Xplane, are doing new installers that can handle Linux Windows and Mac etc. It would not be right if we would now push a direct competitor to XPlane. So even if we would be working flat out on it, we would not say so right now!

http://forum.aerosof...n-game-footage/

First of all we all know very little about MS Flight and what we know is not very exiting. What we seen is even less exiting. The first video was a render that has nothing to do with the sim and the second badly done low res video showed nothing at all. I got no idea why MS is doing things as they are. They never show low res vids or renders for a game without saying its not from the actual game. So right now we not impressed and I doubt anybody is. It's weird marketing.

So right now we see no reason to change our plans and we are working on Aerosoft Flight Simulator 2013. And for sure the graphic will have to be on par with what we think is the best now. And the best is without a doubt Rise of Flight!

hy would MS release a video on 360p format? Very strange.
And why would they show something that is so.... so FS2004 like?

http://forum.aerosof...-is-on-the-way/

We are not too impressed about this. They dropped MSFS, told everybody they would not do stand-alone games anymore, pissed off all professional users. Then they announce it again without any details. They did exactly the same about Train Simulator 2 years ago and they dropped it a few months later.

In the long run it doesn't mean a lot for our plans, we got something they don't got and that's high end content!

#14 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

I'm all too familiar with Mathijs. He's been complaining for years on end about Microsoft. Watch him change his tune when MS delivers a good product for once. It's what they all do.

Edited by SwitchFX, 01 June 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#15 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

I can tell you that the following is 100% true...

Aerosoft is not happy about Flight. Due to the popularity of the preview versions of FS, their own flight sim they are going to develop is now going to have more competition. Microsoft already has a huge crowd of fans that want Flight. This crowd is likely much higher than the crowd that is going to buy Aerosoft's flight sim. Aerosoft wants as many people as possible to buy their simulator, so they would only sell add-ons for their simulator. Selling add-ons for Flight would only encourage people to use that flight sim instead of their own. Aerosoft is all about money. They planned it all out, i'm sure, and came to the conclusion that supporting Flight would only hurt their profits for "Aerosoft Flight Simulator."

I honestly do not care if Aerosoft doesn't support Flight. I've never been a fan of them for a few reasons. They argue with their customers and give terrible support. I have never bought anything from them, and I don't plan to. Them not supporting a flight simulator I will likely switch to is just another reason that I won't buy anything from them.

Edited by BrandonF, 01 June 2011 - 08:46 PM.

#16 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

Looks like Aerosoft is on a rage fest :hrmm:

But finally improved runway textures. Don't stand out unrealistically :hrmm:

#17 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

Alright, now THESE screenshots are really showing a difference! Bravo Microsoft, bravo!

#18 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

View PostBrandonF, on Jun 1 2011, 09:46 PM, said:

I honestly do not care if Aerosoft doesn't support Flight. I've never been a fan of them for a few reasons. They argue with their customers and give terrible support. I have never bought anything from them, and I don't plan to. Them not supporting a flight simulator I will likely switch to is just another reason that I won't buy anything from them.

What you said in first paragraph is true but you have it wrong man! They (Aerosoft) are the best and give great support and have great forums! They give you an account page with all your purchases and unlimited lifetime downloads(if you tell them you want that! FLYTampa makes you have to e-mail them and wait for a new download if you need!

#19 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

View Postfranthree, on Jun 1 2011, 06:59 PM, said:

What you said in first paragraph is true but you have it wrong man! They (Aerosoft) are the best and give great support and have great forums! They give you an account page with all your purchases and unlimited lifetime downloads(if you tell them you want that! FLYTampa makes you have to e-mail them and wait for a new download if you need!

Not from what I've seen in heard. I've watched full arguments on their forums between customer and seller. I guess you have lucked out and not seen any of this. But I've definitely heard that these kinds of things happen at their forums.

#20 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

I see something I like...Cloud Shadows!