- - - - -

Some advise for an aspiring commercial pilot?

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#21 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

View PostRichard_Nixon, on Aug 11 2011, 09:12 PM, said:

Yup, and every one of those people wasted their time and money getting that degree. That degree is useless if you don't use it.

Basically, yeah.

What happened to the olden days when people got degrees because they wanted to learn more and develop a special skill that was necessary to the community?

Today everyone goes to college because they think it's what they have to to next to get ahead in life. If you make good choices and act like a responsible human being, you should be fine.

#22 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Aug 11 2011, 10:02 PM, said:

Basically, yeah.

What happened to the olden days when people got degrees because they wanted to learn more and develop a special skill that was necessary to the community?

Today everyone goes to college because they think it's what they have to to next to get ahead in life. If you make good choices and act like a responsible human being, you should be fine.
It's all about greed.

#23 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

View PostRichard_Nixon, on Aug 12 2011, 12:11 AM, said:

It's all about greed.

I wouldn't say that. I'd say it's so much lack of knowledge about what the real world is like, even for people in their 30s and older.

But I think a lot of parents keep their kids out of the loop so much that the kids never understand how things work until they have to face them for themselves, and even then, the parents don't want to help teach them. They say "do it on your own; it's personal responsibility."

Edited by Fate01_VUSAFS, 11 August 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#24 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:25 AM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Aug 11 2011, 10:12 PM, said:

I wouldn't say that. I'd say it's so much lack of knowledge about what the real world is like, even for people in their 30s and older.

But I think a lot of parents keep their kids out of the loop so much that the kids never understand how things work until they have to face them for themselves, and even then, the parents don't want to help teach them. They say "do it on your own; it's personal responsibility."
I agree to a extent. To go back on topic, a college degree is not a requirement to fly a commercial airplane. If all you want to do is fly, don't waste time getting a masters degree in a field you will never work in. If you get furlonged, there are plenty of decent jobs out there that don't require a degree. You just have to know where to look.

#25 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:30 AM

Both of you have presented equal arguments. Some people do it for the love of the job and some do it for greed. Both these sides have their extremes which bring forth misery. Examples:

The greedy individual: Does it for the money but after quite a few years they are sick of it all.

The individual who loves their career path: Does it for their love of the field and does for many years. At some point they will realize they're hitting the ceiling for their earning opportunity and experience financial burden.

View PostRichard_Nixon, on Aug 11 2011, 09:11 PM, said:

It's all about greed.
I'm hurt. You never said I was greedy. :hrmm: Just playing, I love my field.

#26 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

View PostRichard_Nixon, on Aug 12 2011, 02:12 AM, said:

Yup, and every one of those people wasted their time and money getting that degree. That degree is useless if you don't use it.
Nonsense. I sincerely doubt that I'll be doing functional analysis or vector geometry or any of the topics I've studied in first year maths, but it's all about the other skills you pick up -- analytical, problem solving skills and a logical approach to things. This is why employers love mathematics graduates. Anyway, who says you need to go to university and get a degree just so that you can use the knowledge to get a job? What's wrong with learning for the sake of learning?

#27 davie18

davie18

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:22 AM

View PostChief_Bean, on Aug 12 2011, 03:55 PM, said:

Nonsense. I sincerely doubt that I'll be doing functional analysis or vector geometry or any of the topics I've studied in first year maths, but it's all about the other skills you pick up -- analytical, problem solving skills and a logical approach to things. This is why employers love mathematics graduates. Anyway, who says you need to go to university and get a degree just so that you can use the knowledge to get a job? What's wrong with learning for the sake of learning?
Exactly, many people do history degrees but don't go on to be historians - they just did their degree because they loved the subject.

Are you guys saying that that would be pointless?

I mean, the majority of what people learn in school they won't specifically use later on in life really, I wouldn't exactly call school pointless though.

Edited by davie18, 12 August 2011 - 10:24 AM.

#28 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

Vector geometry? I meant vector calculus... :hrmm:

#29 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

As I always try to say to an aspiring pilots:

Go to your local flying club or flight school and get an introductory flight. See how it feels naturally to you and you'll know if that's what you want to do. It's just something that you have to figure out.

#30 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Aug 12 2011, 12:02 AM, said:

Basically, yeah.

Basically, no.

Majority of jobs (at least in Canada), where you're paid a yearly salary requires that you have post secondary education.

I find it pretty short sighted to call education a waste of money simply because you don't choose a career in your area of study.

--BREAK--

Anyway, as I and Fate01 have already said, first step in your career is going to a flight school and inquiring how to obtain your private pilot license. You'll be amazed at what you learn. In a few months, your eyes will start to open and you'll begin to understand what you have to do.

Edited by HighFlyin, 12 August 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#31 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

View PostHighFlyin, on Aug 12 2011, 01:18 PM, said:

Basically, no.

Majority of jobs (at least in Canada), where you're paid a yearly salary requires that you have post secondary education.

I find it pretty short sighted to call education a waste of money simply because you don't choose a career in your area of study.

I never said it's a waste of money at all. You quoted the wrong post there.

If your job REQUIRES you to have college education, then obviously, you'd want it.

Edited by Fate01_VUSAFS, 12 August 2011 - 12:22 PM.

#32 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Aug 12 2011, 01:22 PM, said:

I never said it's a waste of money at all. You quoted the wrong post there.

If your job REQUIRES you to have college education, then obviously, you'd want it.

Ya I know...It won't let me multi quote for some reason.

I'm not talking about your job requiring a post secondary education; I'm talking about the entire workforce demanding a post secondary education.
Most people here get one because they know that likely anywhere they turn, they'll need a degree to get past the front doors.

#33 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

View PostHighFlyin, on Aug 12 2011, 01:33 PM, said:

Ya I know...It won't let me multi quote for some reason.

I'm not talking about your job requiring a post secondary education; I'm talking about the entire workforce demanding a post secondary education.
Most people here get one because they know that likely anywhere they turn, they'll need a degree to get past the front doors.

Well, the workforce "encourages" it, but it's definitely not a necessity in every case. There are some jobs that you really should have a degree in because there are things you need to learn that you might not on your own. Many people think they have to have a degree for some of the financial careers. I would first check if you need a CPA with financial jobs before even worrying about the degree.

With aviation, if you want to run your own airline, you don't need a college degree, but you will need to learn about aircraft and how to manage personnel and finances to some extent. It helps, but it's a necessity. If you want to work for an airline as a manager, you're going to need the degree. Some of the upper-level jobs even require a masters. It just depends on company policy, so always remember to check before submitting your resume. Sometimes, even if they say they'd like a degree, you should still submit a resume because you never know what experience they are specifically looking for, and something might catch their eye that makes them lean your way.

#34 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

View PostChief_Bean, on Aug 12 2011, 08:55 AM, said:

Nothing is wrong with learning for the sake of learning, but come on; how many people go to school for that? Also, knowledge is useless if you don't apply it.

#35 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

View PostRichard_Nixon, on Aug 12 2011, 11:20 PM, said:

Nothing is wrong with learning for the sake of learning, but come on; how many people go to school for that? Also, knowledge is useless if you don't apply it.

I wish there were some things they just didn't teach you in school, but then again, you might use it some day and never know it until then. I do like English classes just because I think so many people can't type/speak.

I can't stand that they make you take classes to fill your schedule. It's ridiculous. Just teach me in my degree area and don't waste my time/money with history classes and art. I'm a technology major.

Edited by Fate01_VUSAFS, 12 August 2011 - 11:34 PM.

#36 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Aug 9 2011, 01:49 PM, said:

Just to add to Nick's post above:

Don't also take everyone's "you don't need to go to college to be an airline pilot" as a message to not go to school. College flight training shouldn't be taken off the table.

Precisely. In today's world you WANT TO HAVE a Degree. This isn't the 80s anymore. Applicants with degrees have extreme priority over those without. But then again, Hours are super important too :hrmm:

#37 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:49 PM

View PostHighFlyin, on Aug 12 2011, 11:18 AM, said:

Basically, no.

--BREAK--

Anyway, as I and Fate01 have already said, first step in your career is going to a flight school and inquiring how to obtain your private pilot license. You'll be amazed at what you learn. In a few months, your eyes will start to open and you'll begin to understand what you have to do.
It is a waste of money. Because knowledge is useless if you don't apply it. That degree means absolutely NOTHING if it doesn't relate to your field of work, so why companies require a degree like this is beyond me. It does not make you a better candidate for the job.

As I also stated, employers want recency of experience. If you get a masters in engineering and don't work in the field, no body is going to hire you when you look for a job 5 years later. So yes, you wasted your money.

Call me biased all you want. I'm living in reality presenting facts, not opinions.

Edited by Richard_Nixon, 12 August 2011 - 11:53 PM.

#38 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:27 AM

View PostRichard_Nixon, on Aug 13 2011, 05:49 AM, said:

It is a waste of money. Because knowledge is useless if you don't apply it. That degree means absolutely NOTHING if it doesn't relate to your field of work, so why companies require a degree like this is beyond me. It does not make you a better candidate for the job.

As I also stated, employers want recency of experience. If you get a masters in engineering and don't work in the field, no body is going to hire you when you look for a job 5 years later. So yes, you wasted your money.

Call me biased all you want. I'm living in reality presenting facts, not opinions.
I'm sorry but you are wrong.

#39 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

View PostCuan95, on Aug 9 2011, 01:25 PM, said:

I'm not the strongest mathematician.
Or speller. Advice.

#40 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:37 AM

View PostChief_Bean, on Aug 13 2011, 02:27 AM, said:

I'm sorry but you are wrong.

He's got a point though..   since we're on the topic of flying a jetliner..  if you go to an airline, say, United, and you look at their hiring minimums and see they require a candidate to have a college degree, but doesn't specify which type..  then you can have a degree in dog grooming and get hired..   and when are you going to groom a dog while flying a plane?  That's the point Kevin is saying..  in that aspect, it's a waste of time and money, as many companies will waiver lack of education for a lot of experience.  That 2 or 4 years it took you to get a degree, you could have had already 2 to 4 years of flight experience, which could put you around 3,000 hrs more flight time the competition.  However, if you go to college and get a degree in accounting and you get a job in accounting, then it isn't a waste of money or time.