#21 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Aug 19 2011, 06:34 PM, said:

I just have my doubts of how "awesome" Flight will be. It may have great graphics, but it seems like the features with flight sim get worse and worse every time. Hopefully, they won't use GameSpy for multiplayer this time around
Well if you read anything, you'd know they aren't. I was stunned to find that the learning center/flying lessons section was chucked out of FSX. I suppose they'll bring it back for Flight.

Edited by SwitchFX, 19 August 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#22 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:33 AM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Aug 20 2011, 04:34 AM, said:

I just have my doubts of how "awesome" Flight will be. It may have great graphics, but it seems like the features with flight sim get worse and worse every time. Hopefully, they won't use GameSpy for multiplayer this time around

Flight won't have GameSpy anymore, it will run on Games For Windows Live.

View PostSwitchFX, on Aug 20 2011, 04:38 AM, said:

Well if you read anything, you'd know they aren't. I was stunned to find that the learning center/flying lessons section was chucked out of FSX. I suppose they'll bring it back for Flight.

I'm not sure what you mean, but FSX included both the Learning Centre and the Flying Lessons.

If the boxed copy includes something nice like the Insider Information booklet from FSX, then it's definitely a boxed copy buy for me.

#23 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:41 AM

View PostMr-Sim, on Aug 19 2011, 12:44 PM, said:

Then no Flight for you :hrmm:

Haha!  B) I never outrun my 40 GB cap a month, i don't pirate so don't rack up loads of bandwidth, i guess youtube is the only place i really use alot. But id make an exception for flight  :(

Edited by Spam, 20 August 2011 - 04:42 AM.

#24 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:47 AM

View PostKaotika, on Aug 20 2011, 01:33 AM, said:

Flight won't have GameSpy anymore, it will run on Games For Windows Live.
I'm not sure what you mean, but FSX included both the Learning Centre and the Flying Lessons.

If the boxed copy includes something nice like the Insider Information booklet from FSX, then it's definitely a boxed copy buy for me.
Yes, you're correct about the Learning Center. I just spotted the flying lessons section in FSX for the first time. I've owned FSX Deluxe for more than 4 years and I'm just now seeing it thanks to you. :hrmm:

Edited by SwitchFX, 20 August 2011 - 04:49 AM.

#25 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:58 AM

View PostSwitchFX, on Aug 20 2011, 12:47 PM, said:

Yes, you're correct about the Learning Center. I just spotted the flying lessons section in FSX for the first time. I've owned FSX Deluxe for more than 4 years and I'm just now seeing it thanks to you. B)

OK, what the :hrmm:?

About the flying lessons, I hope they add subtitles in the messages section of the kneeboard. I can't make out everything and I want to hear all of Rod's jokes.  :(

#26 MikeMann

MikeMann

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

Not only are Rod's Lessons in FSX but Microsoft was kind enough to leave all the bugs in as well! On the bright side, with Orbx PNW NA Blue installed the scenery in the lessons looks a thousand times better than with FS2004.

Regards, Mike Mann

#27 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

View PostMikeMann, on Aug 20 2011, 04:19 PM, said:

Not only are Rod's Lessons in FSX but Microsoft was kind enough to leave all the bugs in as well! On the bright side, with Orbx PNW NA Blue installed the scenery in the lessons looks a thousand times better than with FS2004.

Regards, Mike Mann

I don't find any bugs in the lessons, except they look outdated. If they update the scenery, make the speech clearer and add subtitles (in the kneeboard), then they will be fine.

#28 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

The lessons in text and image form or the gameplay is outdated?

#29 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:05 AM

View PostSwitchFX, on Aug 22 2011, 04:13 AM, said:

The lessons in text and image form or the gameplay is outdated?

The lessons aren't really outdated, but they look old. The scenery wasn't updated at all, the sound files are still the same old quality and there are no subtitles.

#30 SuperCar1000

SuperCar1000

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

I'd like to have a download-only Flight because it would simply reduce the price.

BTW X-plane 10 has been announced to release by christmas (like last year... only this time I think they've got it ready)

#31 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

Don't you just hate the digital age?

It's getting so pathetic. People no longer want to get off their bums and buy a game from the store, or even sign a paper from the delivery guy. No, just download it off the internet. Pfft.

If I had an option, I'd definitely go for a boxed copy. Something I could touch. My prized possession, a new simulator, at the palm of my hands. Better than having it downloaded to your desktop, what's the fun behind that?

Besides, internet isn't godly speed everywhere. Most places in the world you can hardly load up a page much less...

#32 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:47 AM

View PostMohammad, on Aug 27 2011, 04:38 AM, said:

Don't you just hate the digital age?

It's getting so pathetic. People no longer want to get off their bums and buy a game from the store, or even sign a paper from the delivery guy. No, just download it off the internet. Pfft.

If I had an option, I'd definitely go for a boxed copy. Something I could touch. My prized possession, a new simulator, at the palm of my hands. Better than having it downloaded to your desktop, what's the fun behind that?

Besides, internet isn't godly speed everywhere. Most places in the world you can hardly load up a page much less...

Only games I buy digital are Steam games. Though I don't really spend money for games outside Steam anymore.

Flight is definitely going to be a boxed copy purchase for me though.

#33 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

The Steam client's download speed isn't anything to write home about. With the bandwidth sliders at full, it won't download at any more than 430 KB/s most if not all the time.

#34 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:30 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Sep 6 2011, 04:47 PM, said:

The Steam client's download speed isn't anything to write home about. With the bandwidth sliders at full, it won't download at any more than 430 KB/s most if not all the time.
Still faster and safer than a HTTP download. With Steam, you can shut down your computer mid-download and it will have the files indexed to continue downloading from where it stopped. With a HTTP download, you have to start it over. Not to mention Steam's ability to automatically patch files whenever developers need to send out a patch.

I would like to see a comparable game CDN better than Steam.

#35 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

That isn't the point I was trying to make. Waiting for a 6-12 GB game installer to finish  downloading takes forever. As I've stated in the past and in this thread, the concept of digital media delivered through a delivery network is nice, but all of these networks cap at ridiculous speeds. I, like Mo, prefer traditional media for that very reason.

#36 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Sep 6 2011, 08:46 PM, said:

That isn't the point I was trying to make. Waiting for a 6-12 GB game installer to finish  downloading takes forever. As I've stated in the past and in this thread, the concept of digital media delivered through a delivery network is nice, but all of these networks cap at ridiculous speeds. I, like Mo, prefer traditional media for that very reason.
I agree with you in full. People with capped bandwidth (or slow internet / no internet at all) should always have the option of getting a disc.

But people with fiber optic connections at breakneck speeds will find a Steam-like CDN sublime.

#37 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

My connection is rated for 60 Mbit and I get that 99% of the time, but since having it, I haven't seen any improvement in download speed. It's configured to benefit Steam's network, rather than my home connection. I can't wait until my ISP brings along their experimental 90/100/120 Mbit connection. :hrmm: I forgot the exact number, LOL.

Edited by SwitchFX, 06 September 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#38 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Sep 6 2011, 09:01 PM, said:

My connection is rated for 60 Mbit and I get that 99% of the time, but since having it, I haven't seen any improvement in download speed. It's configured to benefit Steam's network, rather than my home connection. I can't wait until my ISP brings along their experimental 90/100/120 Mbit connection. :hrmm: I forgot the exact number, LOL.
/offtopic

Have you tried changing your Steam CDN server to something more local? I've seen users get major high speed downloads; much faster than what you suggested.

Edited by -Dexter, 06 September 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#39 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

Show me how or point to a guide? I haven't run Steam since the first week in July when I installed TF2 and only had very limited options in Steam's settings.

#40 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on Sep 6 2011, 09:36 PM, said:

Show me how or point to a guide? I haven't run Steam since the first week in July when I installed TF2 and only had very limited options in Steam's settings.
Give a go:

Steam > View > Settings > Downloads

Be sure to select a local CDN server. I think it tries to geolocate you by default, but I always change mine.

By default, it changes mine to Philly, but my ISP actually routes me through Rochester. So I get faster speeds on the Rochester server than the Philly server. You can't explain that!