26 replies to this topic

#21 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

I just reinstalled it and faced the same exact problem.
I had to download this DLL on the net, I found it here for example (Google returned many results):
http://www.dll-files....shtml?msvbvm50

I extracted the DLL file and dropped it directly in the FS Skyworld installation folder.
Next FS Skyworld could start successfully. It asked me for the FS9 path, I indicated a dummy folder (c:\temp\fs9) where I had placed a copy of the FS9.exe that can be found in the FSX folder, and created an empty "Texture" folder in it. The program would not accept the dummy folder if the FS9.exe wasn't inside, and it would fail installing the cloud texture if the texture folder is missing.
Then it worked. It just told me some warning about FS9.cfg that could not be found, but it works anyway.

So when I choose one of the cumulus sets, I just have to press the install button. Then I go to my dummy folder c:\temp\fs9\texture and I can find the little cumulus.bmp file that I just have to copy into my FSX\texture folder.

#22 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

OK, I go ahead and click "Install", and it says it could not copy files because the folders don't have an archive attribute.

I feel a bit stupid asking about that, but how do I set the folders to an archive attribute (my OS isn't even in English)?

#23 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

What ?  :hrmm:
That's strange... Normally you don't need to set any attribute. Just create a "\texture" folder with the right-click menu -> new -> folder.
It worked like this for me without having to do anything else, sorry I can't provide any assistance :/

#24 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

View PostDaube, on Sep 17 2011, 10:39 PM, said:

What ?  :hrmm:
That's strange... Normally you don't need to set any attribute. Just create a "\texture" folder with the right-click menu -> new -> folder.
It worked like this for me without having to do anything else, sorry I can't provide any assistance :/

Oh well. If anything can go wrong to me, it will. Thank you for trying to help me though, I appreciate it.

Edited by Kaotika, 17 September 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#25 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:08 PM

Just so that you can test them, I have selected my favorite cumulus clouds, installed them to the dummy folder, and uploaded the cumulus01.bmp file to my personnal webspace so that you can download it.
If you are interested, just download this file, and paste it in the FSX\texture folder, but save the original file first !
http://sapdaube.free...x/cumulus01.bmp

#26 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

View PostDaube, on Sep 18 2011, 12:08 AM, said:

Just so that you can test them, I have selected my favorite cumulus clouds, installed them to the dummy folder, and uploaded the cumulus01.bmp file to my personnal webspace so that you can download it.
If you are interested, just download this file, and paste it in the FSX\texture folder, but save the original file first !
http://sapdaube.free...x/cumulus01.bmp

Thank you, will try them tomorrow.

#27 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:42 PM

On an easier note, you can probably also give a try to Pablo Diaz's HDE textures.
The pack name is something hdev2.zip, and it contains some high resolution textures, but also some 512x512 DTX3 cumulus textures which will be worth a try :hrmm:
Don't install the sky textures though. Same problem as with FSSkyWorld. The FS9 sky textures are not compatible with FSX.

Edited by Daube, 17 September 2011 - 04:43 PM.