#81 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

View PostKaotika, on Sep 17 2011, 09:50 PM, said:

I already said that it's probably a driver problem. How could you miss that?!

Logically, (if I were you) I would download the latest drivers?  Just a thought.

It's not really a question of drivers.  I still fail to see how 30 or 35 or 60 fps (all the numbers you quoted) can give you poor performance or stutters in FSX.  AFAIK, if you can hit those numbers, you SHOULDN'T be having stutters at all.
I know people who get seriously excited when they hit 35 fps because it's almost unheard of in FSX.
If I hit a constant 25 (never mind 35.  I'm ecstatic about just 25) on my machine with the PMDG 747, I feel totally relieved and feel I can actually enjoy myself.
If you're getting stutters with 35fps, then FSX is lying to you.

#82 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:39 AM

View PostCaptainG37, on Sep 17 2011, 03:13 PM, said:

Logically, (if I were you) I would download the latest drivers?  Just a thought.

It's not really a question of drivers.  I still fail to see how 30 or 35 or 60 fps (all the numbers you quoted) can give you poor performance or stutters in FSX.  AFAIK, if you can hit those numbers, you SHOULDN'T be having stutters at all.
I know people who get seriously excited when they hit 35 fps because it's almost unheard of in FSX.
If I hit a constant 25 (never mind 35.  I'm ecstatic about just 25) on my machine with the PMDG 747, I feel totally relieved and feel I can actually enjoy myself.

To make a long story short, in FSX anything under 35 FPS I get extreme stutters. In any other game I get that problem in anything under 60 FPS.

It's an AMD driver problem that skips frames, and cannot be fixed with just updating drivers because that issue is present in all AMD drivers (I've got latest ones now).

#83 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

View PostKaotika, on Sep 17 2011, 10:39 PM, said:

To make a long story short, in FSX anything under 35 FPS I get extreme stutters. In any other game I get that problem in anything under 60 FPS.

It's an AMD driver problem that skips frames, and cannot be fixed with just updating drivers because that issue is present in all AMD drivers (I've got latest ones now).

Now isn't that better than telling me to stop pulling crap out of my toilet?
I'm not accusing you of lying, it just seems VERY strange to me that your computer is doing this.  Maybe it's an AMD issue.  I wouldn't know.  I'm an Intel guy from back in Windows 95.  Never touched AMD.

#84 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostCaptainG37, on Sep 17 2011, 03:49 PM, said:

Now isn't that better than telling me to stop pulling crap out of my toilet?
I'm not accusing you of lying, it just seems VERY strange to me that your computer is doing this.  Maybe it's an AMD issue.  I wouldn't know.  I'm an Intel guy from back in Windows 95.  Never touched AMD.

It's most likely the GPU's drivers that don't agree with my configuration. They also cause BSODs and lots of compatibility problems. I know I'll be choosing NVIDIA for my next GPU.

#85 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

View PostKaotika, on Sep 17 2011, 10:07 AM, said:

It's most likely the GPU's drivers that don't agree with my configuration. They also cause BSODs and lots of compatibility problems. I know I'll be choosing NVIDIA for my next GPU.
ATi/AMD owner, currently on my second ATi/AMD card. Never had a problem with any of this. It sounds like an issue with your config and not strictly with the video card/drivers.

Protip: A BSOD actually tells you what crashed. It helps to read them.

#86 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

View Post-Dexter, on Sep 17 2011, 07:53 PM, said:

ATi/AMD owner, currently on my second ATi/AMD card. Never had a problem with any of this. It sounds like an issue with your config and not strictly with the video card/drivers.

Protip: A BSOD actually tells you what crashed. It helps to read them.

You're one of the lucky ones not having any problems with AMD drivers. I'm always seeing AMD's driver quality being ridiculed, and I agree with them.

The BSOD says "atikmdag.sys". Isn't that the driver?

#87 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

Sorry to beat a dead horse on the framerate thing, but I think everyone should look here:

http://www.boallen.c...ps-compare.html

View PostKaotika, on Sep 17 2011, 01:32 PM, said:

The BSOD says "atikmdag.sys". Isn't that the driver?
You need to update your drivers because that issue was fixed three years ago.

Edited by -Dexter, 17 September 2011 - 06:49 PM.

#88 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

View PostCaptainG37, on Sep 17 2011, 08:13 AM, said:

You will have stutters at those numbers if your frames are set to unlimited in heavily populated/heavy scenery areas though.

#89 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:41 AM

View Post-Dexter, on Sep 18 2011, 02:48 AM, said:

Sorry to beat a dead horse on the framerate thing, but I think everyone should look here:

http://www.boallen.c...ps-compare.html
You need to update your drivers because that issue was fixed three years ago.

I have the 11.8's. Which ones should I update to?

#90 Jack Flash

Jack Flash

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

September screens look rather weak. Low resolution textures I mean it's 2011. Also what is with the night screenshot those textures are just pathetic, where are the lights. Fix up Microsoft!

#91 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

View PostJack Flash, on Sep 19 2011, 03:44 AM, said:

September screens look rather weak. Low resolution textures I mean it's 2011. Also what is with the night screenshot those textures are just pathetic, where are the lights. Fix up Microsoft!

Thank God someone else said it and not me.
Looks like it's a low rez, 512 baked lit texture.

#92 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:33 AM

They look like they were resized a few times causing image corruption. Of course, Flight could have a dynamic texture system that would load textures of various resolutions depending on the settings the end-user chose in his or her settings.

Edited by SwitchFX, 19 September 2011 - 01:34 AM.

#93 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

View PostSwitchFX, on Sep 19 2011, 02:33 AM, said:

They look like they were resized a few times causing image corruption.
This was my thought as well. I believe Microsoft is retouching the photos in an image editor and resizing them (albeit poorly).

#94 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

Do notice that anti-aliasing is not cranked up. Same could be with anisotropic filtering or even the settings.

#95 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

This is what is puzzling me quite a bit. Why would they not want to show off what they have been working on for the last year or 2 to the best of their ability?  Why not crank up the AA as high as it can go, save the screenshots as png's and then say "look at this!"  instead of showing compressed, low rez, low AA, low AF images.  
If they're trying to SELL Flight by way of preview images, they're doing a pretty pathetic job at it.

#96 Jack Flash

Jack Flash

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

Perhaps in a bid to fix performance issues they left out aa, rather than rewrite the engine. Budget development.

#97 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

View PostCaptainG37, on Sep 19 2011, 03:49 PM, said:

This is what is puzzling me quite a bit. Why would they not want to show off what they have been working on for the last year or 2 to the best of their ability?  Why not crank up the AA as high as it can go, save the screenshots as png's and then say "look at this!"  instead of showing compressed, low rez, low AA, low AF images.  
If they're trying to SELL Flight by way of preview images, they're doing a pretty pathetic job at it.

Maybe they're trying to do the opposite from FSX; release high-quality screenshots, create hype, and then BOOM!

#98 Jack Flash

Jack Flash

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

Maybe they're trying to do the opposite from FSX; release high-quality screenshots, create hype, and then BOOM!

The best marketing strategy. Hahaha

#99 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

View PostJack Flash, on Sep 19 2011, 06:06 PM, said:

The best marketing strategy. Hahaha

Sorry I did not make it clear enough, but this is what they did with FSX and they're probably the opposite with Flight.

#100 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:02 PM

That makes a whole lot more sense than my theory. Besides, the sim is ages away from being a public beta.