24 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

Time for the comparison shots you have all been waiting for.  :hrmm:  Everything is out of the box default FSX with settings turned all the way up. As usual, locations are matched as closely as possible. I have not been able to find the location of screenshot 3 and 6. These locations weren't identifiable by me, so if anyone is smart enough to figure it out, please let me know.

Screenshot 1

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 2

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 3

Location unconfirmed

Screenshot 4

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 5

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 6

Location Unconfirmed

Screenshot 7

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 8

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 9

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

I am not sure that the location of shot 2 is correct, but even if it's not, the overall look won't be much different. I just found it interesting how things lined up so well for that shot scenery-wise. I had to look at every airport in Hawaii in Google Earth to determine which runways had the horizontally oriented arrows. Turned out Hilo Intl was one of them, and I decided to use it for it's accuracy. This airport was also the same airport featured in Webisode 2. Overall, the improvements in Flight are more and more visible with each update. The only shot I wasn't impressed with was #7, which has a very flat look to it. Other than that, Flight is looking great and I hope a lot of these recent rumors about it being limited to one plane and island are not true, as the engine itself has some great potential by the looks of it.

Lets try not to turn this thread into yet another argument thread with pointless speculation, but focus on what solid facts we have and what we can visually see in the screenshots and videos, specifically the September screenshots, since this is the point of this topic.  B)

#2 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:25 AM

Not overwhelmingly impressed like I was with some previous comparisons.  In fact, for a couple of those comparison, I think I actually like FSX better.

Oh well, we'll wait and see!  After all, who flies with default stuff anyway? :hrmm:

EDIT: Thanks, once again, Brandon, for the work you put into these.  Very well done, mate!

Edited by LA_PHX, 20 September 2011 - 12:25 AM.

#3 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:37 AM

Just realized that the water wave texture isn't default....arg!!!!!  :hrmm:

#4 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:14 AM

View PostLA_PHX, on Sep 20 2011, 01:25 AM, said:

Not overwhelmingly impressed like I was with some previous comparisons.  In fact, for a couple of those comparison, I think I actually like FSX better.

Oh well, we'll wait and see!  After all, who flies with default stuff anyway? :hrmm:

EDIT: Thanks, once again, Brandon, for the work you put into these.  Very well done, mate!

Kudos. I think the scenery is Fight looks better, but some of the textures in FSX beat out Flight.

#5 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

This comparison isn't as impressive as the previous ones, but it's still pretty good. The FSX screenshots might look better than Flight's because they are sharper. I hope Microsoft will take high-res textures next time.

The only thing I hope is that they replace the water texture. The current one looks low-res, repeats and has only sun reflections.

#6 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

More threads like this! In some of the shots, I dare say FSX looks better than Flight, especially #7!

Keep up the good work.

#7 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

I think FSX's water colors look better. The water in FSX also looks more real than Flight's. Flight did a better job with the reflections, but the texture (feel) of the water doesn't look as good. It's too smooth and almost looks blurry in some areas.

And those FSX shots aren't default. Looks like XGraphics.

#8 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Sep 20 2011, 06:33 PM, said:

I think FSX's water colors look better. The water in FSX also looks more real than Flight's. Flight did a better job with the reflections, but the texture (feel) of the water doesn't look as good. It's too smooth and almost looks blurry in some areas.

And those FSX shots aren't default. Looks like XGraphics.

FSX water is add-on.

#9 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

View PostKaotika, on Sep 20 2011, 11:47 AM, said:

FSX water is add-on.

That's a horrible comparison to take add-on software/textures and compare it to a newer program. You can't compare modifications. They need to be default vs. default, especially if Microsoft isn't the one that created the mod package.

#10 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Sep 20 2011, 11:33 PM, said:

That's a horrible comparison to take add-on software/textures and compare it to a newer program. You can't compare modifications. They need to be default vs. default, especially if Microsoft isn't the one that created the mod package.

He realised it later.  :hrmm:

#11 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:02 PM

The Default FSX wave textures look better than Flight.

And yes i know you have REX running, but I mean the default ones are still better.

#12 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

It's not REX. It was some add-on wave textures from Striking Software.

#13 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:53 AM

These locations weren't identifiable by me, so if anyone is smart enough to figure it out, please let me know.

It's Oahu, Hawaii

#14 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Sep 21 2011, 01:53 AM, said:

It's Oahu, Hawaii

Which one? Shot 3 (flying over the city at night) and shot 6 (clouds covering everything except for the tip of the mountain) are the shots I can't identify.

#15 Guest_caaront_*

Guest_caaront_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

I think folks are starting to lose it, Flight looks way better, all the way around, you just can't please anyone anymore.

#16 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

View Postcaaront, on Sep 22 2011, 12:49 AM, said:

I think folks are starting to lose it, Flight looks way better, all the way around, you just can't please anyone anymore.

I agree. The only bad thing about Flight is the water, which should be improved too. Everything looks better, the weather, the autogen, the shaders, and the scenery is much better.

#17 Fate01_VUSAFS

Fate01_VUSAFS

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

View PostBrandonF, on Sep 21 2011, 05:10 PM, said:

Which one? Shot 3 (flying over the city at night) and shot 6 (clouds covering everything except for the tip of the mountain) are the shots I can't identify.

All of them. The one with the observatories might be the Big Island, but it's definitely Hawaii. You can see the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, Diamond Head, and the old Bellows Air Force base.

#18 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Sep 22 2011, 08:07 AM, said:

All of them. The one with the observatories might be the Big Island, but it's definitely Hawaii. You can see the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, Diamond Head, and the old Bellows Air Force base.
I think we all know by now the previews are all of Hawaii.  The problem is figuring out exactly where it is and the angle so he can take the screenshot comparison.

#19 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

View Postcaaront, on Sep 21 2011, 10:49 PM, said:

Have we got to the limits of modern times?  :hrmm:

#20 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:03 PM

View PostFate01_VUSAFS, on Sep 22 2011, 08:07 AM, said:

I'm not stupid. I know this is hawaii...but WHERE in Hawaii were shots 3 and 6 taken...that is the question.  :hrmm: