11 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

The thread you have all been waiting for...the October FSX and Flight Screenshot Comparisons! This set was actually a little easier, but a few shots, I had to just pick random locations. (specifically for shot 3, 9, and 10) For those shots, location doesn't matter as much as just getting a basic idea of the improvement. And for shot 4 and 7, I was unable to find the true location, so those locations are random as well. I determined that shot 5 was taken at Lihue Intl. While the FSX shot looks to be a completely different location, it's not. That's just how different Flight is from FSX. The exact position is not matched up because I believe the tower might be in the wrong spot in FSX, but it's close enough to get the point across.

Everything is default. Settings are turned up high.

Screenshot 1

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 2

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 3

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 4

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 5

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 6

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 7

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 8

Unidentified location/not much to compare without a native FSX Stearman

Screenshot 9

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Screenshot 10

FSX
Posted Image

Flight
Posted Image

Edited by BrandonF, 15 October 2011 - 08:11 PM.

#2 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:33 AM

Thank you for the comparison! Shows how much Flight keeps improving.

#3 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

Looks great, miracle if it runs smoothly on any PC though....  I really don't care about details of battleships etc, I hope the improvements aren't just visual, FSX falls short in many more important area's.

#4 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:56 AM

I am starting to see a noticable different now. The shaders are really bringing out alot more realism, are these shots till around hawaii?

#5 yimmy149

yimmy149

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

Screenshot 7 really gives me some hope for low & slow flying.  The shadowing in the cockpit is also impressive, especially the soft edges of it.

#6 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

View PostSpam, on Oct 16 2011, 05:56 AM, said:

I am starting to see a noticable different now. The shaders are really bringing out alot more realism, are these shots till around hawaii?

Yes Hawaii only still, but there are two places where Microsoft mentioned "world" and it could be assumed that it refers to Flight including the whole world...

1. this month's news article published on their site: "Of course, players can always choose to fly freely without guidance in order to simply enjoy the beauty of the world,"

2. Updated FAQ page: "The addition of Games for Windows - LIVE creates an ubiquitous virtual world of flight that offers easy and engaging access to the magic of flight for all."

It doesn't directly say it, but it seems like that's what could be taken from this.

#7 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

These are definitely the most impressive Flight shots so far. :hrmm:

Edited by Buziel-411_RED, 16 October 2011 - 03:21 PM.

#8 Shamir

Shamir

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

Love the lighting details in the cockpit B) and the reflectios :hrmm:

#9 -SE-

-SE-

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:57 AM

Nice comparison, cant wait to try Flight out although if i know Microsoft correctly then Flight will run like s***, just like
Frame Sucker Xtreme.

Edited by SE-REF, 17 October 2011 - 04:57 AM.

#10 162db

162db

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for all the hard work. LOL @ shot #7 FSX looks like a giant turtle shell on the left. Now this is more like it. Finally we have something to get excited about. The improvement is clear and FSX really shows its age. No more flat based clouds. There is smooth color gradation in the clouds so no more grey or white clouds only. The mist/fog blends much better. No more simple polygonal models. With that level of detail, they would have to make changes to the coding for it to run decently.

#11 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

View PostSE-REF, on Oct 17 2011, 04:57 AM, said:

Nice comparison, cant wait to try Flight out although if i know Microsoft correctly then Flight will run like s***, just like
Frame Sucker Xtreme.

Microsoft has claimed their notice for lack of performance compatibility with hardware and has stated an interest to be frame-friendly with Flight.

#12 -SE-

-SE-

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

View PostIndependence76, on Oct 25 2011, 06:43 PM, said:

Microsoft has claimed their notice for lack of performance compatibility with hardware and has stated an interest to be frame-friendly with Flight.
Now that makes me happy to hear about, since i've always felt like FS2004 had the performance but lacked the visuals and FSX had the visuals but lacked the performance, now we might get a flightsim that has visuals, performance (and hopefully realism) all together, that makes me look forward even more to when Flight will be released.

Edited by SE-REF, 25 October 2011 - 05:21 PM.