8 replies to this topic

#1 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

After the success of last year's event, one of the world's busiest airspaces will come alive again for  what is set to be one of VATSIM's biggest events ever. Openskies 2011 aims to bring you a better, busier and more enjoyable event than has ever been witnessed on VATSIM before. Six of our premier airports; Bristol, Gatwick, Glasgow, Heathrow, Manchester and Stansted have been selected, and will be fully staffed to provide you with a huge range and variety of over 1100 bookable flights in the space of five hours. There are over 40 airports in the UK alone and Openskies allows you to experience some of these airports fully staffed and full to capacity resulting in you - the pilot - experiencing what it actually feels like to fly real-world in the United Kingdom, showcasing our airports at breaking-point capacity, heavily crowded airspace and aircraft that are separated by just 1000ft vertically and 3 miles laterally.

Posted Image

The bookable flights offer an exceptional range of possibilities; from flying some of the biggest airliners in the world, to the occasional private jets and general aviation. These flights also include just over 180 transatlantic flights which is the same amount as our real world counterpart's experience during the duration of the event. Openskies is truly an event like no other.

To help with the smooth running of the event, we are grateful to the following VATSIM divisions for their support. Belux vACC, Dutch vACC, VATSIM France, VATEIR, Eurocenter vACC & VATSIM Canada.

The sky really is the limit!!

Click here for more information and flight bookings.

Unfortunately due to forecasted high demand some airports may become fully booked before the event. It's strongly recommended that you book as soon as possible to avoid disappointment, we also send out reminders closer to the event of your booking.

Our event trailer:

#2 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

I am so tempted to book a flight. Just need a route that a 737NG would be suitable for heathrow....

Just wondering, would Heathrow dual runway ops also be in play if the delay is above 10 mins?

Edited by iranair787, 09 November 2011 - 07:09 PM.

#3 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

You can choose any route/any flight/any callsign - and you can just change the aircraft type suitable to your flight range.

I believe what you are mentioning is TEAM, possibly - however it depends on the situation and many other factors.

#4 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

Dear All,

7 days to go till Openskies 2011 kicks off!! It's been many months of hard thought planning with a lot of people involved in trying to make Openskies the sucess it sets out to be,  Openskies 2011 aims to bring you a better, busier and more enjoyable event than what has ever been witnessed on Vatsim before. This can only be possible if you guys the participants (pilots) make your day special and make as many enjoyable flights as you can in/out or around the UK next Saturday.

You can book flights on our website across 6 of our airports, or you can fly without a booking.  Most importantly all information you need to know is on the website.

Best of all, good luck and see you next Saturday.

Openskies Planning Team
http://events.vatsim...o.uk/openskies/

#5 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

Looking forward to this! :hrmm:

Controller roster for those who find it useful:

https://docs.google....;hl=en_US#gid=0

#6 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

Currently at FL330 enroute to EGLL. Estimated arrival around 1930 :hrmm:

#7 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

nvm, gotcha IRA711.

Edited by Iain_, 03 December 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#8 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

View PostIain_, on Dec 3 2011, 04:56 PM, said:

nvm, gotcha IRA711.
you a controller? Just finished my flight as vatsim crashed twice B)

Also FS decided to freeze my PC two times as well  :hrmm:

Also just after decent I was told to turn left xxx which put me way off the LAM3A arrival I had programmed. ATC ended up giving me directions, once even turning me left to 150 (I was heading about 270) then 30 seconds later told to go back to the course I was direct lambourne. I think that confused everyone, just let me go through with my programmed STAR (LAM3A)! also it caused me to not intercept the loc. as they brought me in too high!

Edited by iranair787, 03 December 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#9 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

View Postiranair787, on Dec 3 2011, 08:05 PM, said:

you a controller? Just finished my flight as vatsim crashed twice B)

Also FS decided to freeze my PC two times as well  :hrmm:

Also just after decent I was told to turn left xxx which put me way off the LAM3A arrival I had programmed. ATC ended up giving me directions, once even turning me left to 150 (I was heading about 270) then 30 seconds later told to go back to the course I was direct lambourne. I think that confused everyone, just let me go through with my programmed STAR (LAM3A)! also it caused me to not intercept the loc. as they brought me in too high!
No I saw you on VATSpy. I just landed FRX125 EGPF-EGAA.