- - - - -

Should MS Flight also make a version for the mobile?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

So XP has its own mobile version for iPad and android users. I tried it on my mate's iPad one time and it was really cool. Nothing extraordinary or anything but it was nice using it during a long flight, etc. I wonder if MS should do the same thing? What do you guys think?

Ofcourse not the whole world will be rendered. Some regions would do. A Seattle-Vancouver region, a region in Hong Kong, another in London metropolitan, etc.

#2 MikeMann

MikeMann

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:06 AM

The most likely region would be Hawaii. It must be a word association issue; someone says Flight and I automatically say Hawaii. I guess I can thank Microsoft for this conditioned response!

#3 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

Roflmao! Yeah you're probably right. :hrmm:

#4 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

xplane runs on opengl... which runs on almost any platform. microsoft would have to start from scratch to get anything mobile..

#5 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

View PostMikeMann, on Dec 4 2011, 03:06 PM, said:

The most likely region would be Hawaii. It must be a word association issue; someone says Flight and I automatically say Hawaii. I guess I can thank Microsoft for this conditioned response!
Probably be Seattle...

#6 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

Yep xp runs on opengl, id love to see the framerate on ms version on a moblie device lmao

#7 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

View PostSpam, on Dec 5 2011, 11:41 AM, said:

Yep xp runs on opengl, id love to see the framerate on ms version on a moblie device lmao
You have to remember that the 'mobile' version of X-Plane is very stripped down. It's more for the sake of novelty.

#8 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

No they shouldn't.

#9 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

I used to think the idea was stupid until I tried it myself. It's very very fun and the nice thing about it is how you can use it anywhere you are.

#10 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

no

#11 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

View Post-Dexter, on Dec 5 2011, 06:01 PM, said:

You have to remember that the 'mobile' version of X-Plane is very stripped down. It's more for the sake of novelty.

yes you are right :hrmm:

#12 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

View PostMohammad, on Dec 5 2011, 08:28 PM, said:

I used to think the idea was stupid until I tried it myself. It's very very fun and the nice thing about it is how you can use it anywhere you are.

turning your phone around makes you feel like you're flying?

#13 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

I tried it on iPad, not iPhone. And it was nice. No game would make me feel like I'm flying anymore. All games these days look too 'gamish' to me. But at least that one was portable. You can like take it with you the airport, to work, a trip, etc.

#14 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

View PostMohammad, on Dec 6 2011, 08:18 PM, said:

I tried it on iPad, not iPhone. And it was nice. No game would make me feel like I'm flying anymore. All games these days look too 'gamish' to me. But at least that one was portable. You can like take it with you the airport, to work, a trip, etc.
Personally I couldn't imagine myself (or anyone else) sitting nonchalantly in the airport tilting their iPad back and forth, or swinging their iPhone left and right playing a flight 'simulator' game. B)

It's just silly. :hrmm:

#15 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

^ exactly :hrmm:

I mean, Doodle Jump is a much better pass time....and if you want to get really addicted....get Cube Runner!

And beat my score of 326 on Hardcore Random mode!

#16 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

Nobody would even notice you. Most people are already occupied with their own things in the airports, etc.

Besides, do you know most tablets today can play games with a wireless (bluetooth) controller?

You can still avoid looking silly. :hrmm:

#17 ppgstf

ppgstf

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

View PostMohammad, on Dec 7 2011, 09:31 AM, said:

Nobody would even notice you. Most people are already occupied with their own things in the airports, etc.

Besides, do you know most tablets today can play games with a wireless (bluetooth) controller?

You can still avoid looking silly. B)

I vote no too.

You would look like a complete tit waving your IPad around at an airport, I'd love to know how you could play and avoid looking silly!! :hrmm:

#18 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Bluetooth wireless gamepad. Problem solved.

#19 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'd actually like to see it.  It should encompass a very small geographical area, but let you "see" beyond the boundary of that area and indicate that in order to fly "over there" you'll need to purchase the full PC version.  The visuals & sound should be just as fantastic as the full version (assuming Flight eventually looks something like the screenshots we've been given) but the physics should be dumbed down for the novice.  It would be a great way to introduce more people to FS, and give us junkies something to play with on the go.

#20 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

View Post-Dexter, on Dec 6 2011, 07:37 PM, said:

Personally I couldn't imagine myself (or anyone else) sitting nonchalantly in the airport tilting their iPad back and forth, or swinging their iPhone left and right playing a flight 'simulator' game. B)

It's just silly. :hrmm:
If you are swinging your iPhone around, you're not doing it right. :(   Have you tried the XPlane Mobile version?  For what it is and how much it costs, it's kinda nice.  It only takes subtle movements to fly the aircraft (with their piss-poor physics but what do you really expect) and I've played it in public without making a fool of myself.  The only mobile games I've found that make you look ridiculous while playing are the sports games where they want you to mimic the motion of say, throwing a football or shooting a basketball.  But just tilting your iPhone/iPod Touch, I highly doubt anyone notices.

With all that said, and to go back to the original question, no, I wouldn't like to see Microsoft waste their time on the mobile version.  The XPlane mobile versions are sufficient for the market and they actually have quite a few versions now.  With them providing consistent updates to it, I just don't see the need for another mobile flight "simulator."  I can only imagine redundancy.

Edited by LA_PHX, 07 December 2011 - 03:16 PM.