Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

Avsim were invited for a preview.

Microsoft FLIGHT News

Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 14:00
Microsoft invited a select group of community organizations to Redmond, Washington, for a preview and discussion regarding Microsoft's soon to be released FLIGHT simulator. The meeting and hand's on sessions took place this last Tuesday, December 13th. AVSIM was represented by Tom Allensworth, Publisher, and Robert Whitwell, Reviews Editor. This meeting was held under the auspices of a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which all participants are covered by. In this meeting Microsoft shared confidential information and access to the FLIGHT game. Microsoft has indicated that some restrictions imposed by the NDA will be removed during the first week of January. To the extent that we are able and willing to do so, AVSIM will report on those aspects of FLIGHT allowed by those reduced restrictions. Please stay tuned. More to follow...

#2 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

Exciting stuff!! I hope I get selected for the beta, but i better get my PC fixed first  :hrmm:

#3 162db

162db

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hmmmm it says soon to be released in that quote. That can't be good. IMO they should spend as much time as possible on it Please MS, don't release another busted flight sim.

Edited by 162db, 17 December 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#4 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

They've had 5 years. My guess is that it will be a worthy successor  :hrmm:

#5 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

View Post162db, on Dec 17 2011, 04:44 PM, said:

Hmmmm it says soon to be released in that quote. That can't be good. IMO they should spend as much time as possible on it Please MS, don't release another busted flight sim.
They could take 5 years and still deliver faulty software. XP => Vista, Vista only became useable (A solid OS) 3+ years after it came out.

View PostJetset, on Dec 17 2011, 05:00 PM, said:

They've had 5 years. My guess is that it will be a worthy successor  :hrmm:
They announced it in August 2010, but I'm with you on the 5 years. Something tells me Microsoft are just sneaky buggers and have been working on code since they received feedback of FSX being crap in the performance department.

#6 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

View Post162db, on Dec 17 2011, 04:44 PM, said:

It's going into beta in January, so its release is not "soon." Soon to them is likely Fall 2012.

#7 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

View PostBrandonF, on Dec 17 2011, 05:10 PM, said:

It's going into beta in January, so its release is not "soon." Soon to them is likely Fall 2012.
Not to toot my own horn...

SwitchFX, on Jun 16 2011, 09:47 PM, said:

Pretty much. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to push out their products during that time. Let's face the facts. They're improving their software slowly. Windows 8 is slated by what's been said already to be better than Windows 7, use CPU and memory much more efficiently, and has requirements that of Windows 7 or less, which is a great selling point. With the way Intel (and hopefully AMD!) is handling their next-generation processors, I really see great stuff in store for us simmers, and of course gamers in other markets. From what I've seen and read, I believe Windows 8 will be the first operating system from Microsoft that ditches the legacy x86 operating code, and makes use of the x86-64 platform, hence 64-bit operating code. By then, in 2012, it would be expected the world catches up with the changing times. Of course thanks to Microsoft, those who can't upgrade for various reasons will get security and update support for XP ends in April 2014, and Windows Vista ends on 2017, with Windows 7's mainstream support being terminated in January 2015. The two aforementioned operating systems, XP and Vista, were dated for the very last cycle of support. On those dates  the extended support ends. If I had to guess the earliest possible date of something happening, I would say beta testing of W8 on or near December 2011, and RTM in May/June 2012, with a release to end-users by November 2012.

This would flow well with Microsoft's other software life phases. We'll most likely get surprised with a Flight demo between March-July 2012, with a release of the game in October-December 2012.

In the unlikely event we're surprised with a demo by December 2011, then push the Flight dates I wrote out a few months ahead of schedule.

:hrmm:

Though I suppose it would be easier if we could find a willing leaker.

Edited by Santa_Claus, 17 December 2011 - 08:18 PM.

#8 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Just because they announced it back in August 2010, doesn't mean they haven't been working on it months before or whatever. Plus, I don't think it will be that much long for it to be fully released. If they are doing a beta early 2012, add a couple of months after and you could see the release of MS Flight.

That's if they follow a similar approach to what they do with Windows. We are also expecting a Windows 8 Beta starting early 2012 and then being released X amount of months after but in 2012.

#9 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

View PostMattGarner, on Dec 18 2011, 04:26 PM, said:

Just because they announced it back in August 2010, doesn't mean they haven't been working on it months before or whatever. Plus, I don't think it will be that much long for it to be fully released. If they are doing a beta early 2012, add a couple of months after and you could see the release of MS Flight.

That's if they follow a similar approach to what they do with Windows. We are also expecting a Windows 8 Beta starting early 2012 and then being released X amount of months after but in 2012.
Indeed we will be. About Windows 8 that is. I believe I've read a mid-January or February beta release date. RTM in the summer which manufacturers or Microsoft Partners are privy to (:hrmm:) and then a general release in the fall. Microsoft are a sneaky yet clever bunch.

Edited by Santa_Claus, 18 December 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#10 ollyau

ollyau

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

View PostSanta_Claus, on Dec 18 2011, 05:23 PM, said:

Indeed we will be. About Windows 8 that is. I believe I've read a mid-January or February beta release date.
Microsoft stated late February in the Windows Store event earlier this month.  See this: http://www.liveside....windows-8-beta/.