#182 n4gix

n4gix

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

View Postdanielisaiah, on Jan 7 2012, 04:06 PM, said:

1) The product will be released in spring and people on PC and XBOX will download it....but to underwhelming traction.

There is no "XBOX" version, and likely never will be. Flight is designed to be a PC only title. Oddly enough, there's as much -or more- ranting from the XBOXers about this than there is coming from the flight simulator (FS9/FSX) crowd.

#183 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostMattGarner, on Jan 8 2012, 12:32 PM, said:

Enjoy:

that says it all :hrmm:

#184 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

View Postn4gix, on Jan 8 2012, 12:39 PM, said:

There is no "XBOX" version, and likely never will be. Flight is designed to be a PC only title. Oddly enough, there's as much -or more- ranting from the XBOXers about this than there is coming from the flight simulator (FS9/FSX) crowd.
Microsoft has already announced that it will be available for Xbox.

I stand corrected.

I could have sworn they said something about it coming to consoles :hrmm:.

Edited by -Dexter, 08 January 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#185 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

View Postn4gix, on Jan 8 2012, 09:39 AM, said:

What the heck would XBOX users want to do with what was once a flight sim :hrmm:

#186 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

View Postpyruvate, on Jan 8 2012, 02:26 PM, said:

What the heck would XBOX users want to do with what was once a flight sim :hrmm:
Crash the plane.

#187 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:35 AM

View PostCortez, on Jan 8 2012, 10:57 PM, said:

Crash the plane.
I doubt there's many female XBOX gamers out there.

#188 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

View PostSanta_Claus, on Jan 8 2012, 11:35 PM, said:

I doubt there's many female XBOX gamers out there.
:hrmm:

From my personal experience, all of my friends who try flying always ask if they can crash and get mad when I tell them they can't see the crash effect.

#189 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

I always wonder where to post due to the amount of topics we have for this! But I've been reading on AVSIM again and Orbx have posted again yesterday which said:

Hmmm, a few things need clearing up in this thread, which seems to be devolving into a circular argument.

1. No third party developer has been offered any $ from MS to make content for Flight. Negotiations never got that far. I may be wrong, but that is the information that I have based on discussions with fellow developers.

2. Third party developers have NOT baulked at any royalty percentage deal because none has been offered and no percentage has ever been tabled to them. A lot of the discussion in this thread is pure speculation and just plain wrong.

3. No third party developer can make any content for Flight, because there is no SDK. Not now. Not in the beta. Not after release. If MS decide to release an SDK it will be a very different beast to FSX because of how Xbox Live third party titles are controlled, certified and published. There are fees to be paid by the 3PDs, royalty agreements to be signed, and content to be tested, verified and signed for listing in the Flight in-game store. Because this is a highly complex and technical process, I doubt if it happens at all, that it will be offered to any more than a handful of developers.

4. At this stage of the game, we have no interest in creatng content for Flight because it is an unknown market size, it has unknown backwards compatibility, and because we don't have an SDK or any MS tools.

5. Our commercial pricing is for full commercial licenses sold to aerospace organisations usng fully commercial Prepar3D licenses on dedicated simulation or training hardware in the defense, goverment, flight school, academic, and aerospace industries. It is priced at a level that allows for-profit exploitation of our intellectual property. Compared to the prices for visual databases being charged in these industries, Orbx's commercial prices are actually the lowest in the world and laughably underpriced. Consider a CAE simulator costng $5million and you get some perspective. We have sold many commercial licenses at those pricepoints but you need to understand that it is a completely different part of Orbx's company focus and very much removed from the sales to the enthusiast market we have traditionally been selling to. The is no different to Aerosoft's parent company selling commercial licenses for many thousands of euros for other high end projects.

There is a reason I don't get involved in discussion on these forums too much - there seems to be too much hysteria focused on what is NOT known, versus discussion based on factual infromation which is known. Too many supposed expert opinions, too many soapboxes, and just too much "noise".

Blaming third party developers for how Flight has devolved from potential FSX replacement to a game, is both laughable at best, and insulting at worst.

http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2220506

If all true, quite an important post. Some fighting posts came after this as Flight 1 software guy mentioned a few things back at Orbx before it got closed.  

Edited by MattGarner, 10 January 2012 - 06:29 PM.