Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

#22 ollyau

ollyau

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Never saw the link to Webisode 5 at YouTube on the Microsoft Flight website, however I did notice the YouTube one was up before they added it to the Silverlight player on the website.

Anyhow, here's the link to the webisode on YouTube (in HD): .

(And yes, it is essentially the same as what BlueVanGogh posted above, but my URL automatically sets it to HD. :hrmm:)

Edited by ollyau, 04 January 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#23 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

For some reason I really don't care if they want to release a world pack, because if the FULL product as I would buy it in stores only includes Hawaii, then I am disinterested. What a load of bull  :hrmm:
However, if it turns out that they just WORDED it wrongly and only the demo includes Hawaii then obviously that changes alot.

#24 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

The only reason I'll keep supporting Flight is if the arcade mode doesn't take over the free flight mode, and if the store prices are low enough to have all scenery and aircraft at a normal retail price.

EDIT: Just heard Flight will not cover the whole world, but some parts of it. Is this true?

Edited by Kaotika, 04 January 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#25 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostKaotika, on Jan 4 2012, 06:32 PM, said:

The only reason I'll keep supporting Flight is if the arcade mode doesn't take over the free flight mode, and if the store prices are low enough to have all scenery and aircraft at a normal retail price.

EDIT: Just heard Flight will not cover the whole world, but some parts of it. Is this true?

Well from what we already know: MS Flight will be released in Spring for free and will only include a part of Hawaii. The flying around the "world" in flight isn't there like we have had in previous versions.

DLC may add parts of the world but who knows what will happen with that.

#26 Guest_caaront_*

Guest_caaront_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

It's not that bad really if you just like flying low and VFR short hops like I do.

By the time you get bored with one place there should be another place out by then, buy it and go exploring.

I look forward to seeing what it looks like and how the performance is.

#27 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

View Postcaaront, on Jan 4 2012, 06:49 PM, said:

It's not that bad really if you just like flying low and VFR short hops like I do.

By the time you get bored with one place there should be another place out by then, buy it and go exploring.

I look forward to seeing what it looks like and how the performance is.

Ok for people who like doing that but if you like flying airliners across countries then it isn't suitable. Unless it was all cheaply priced.

#28 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostRomario_, on Jan 4 2012, 11:30 AM, said:

For some reason I really don't care if they want to release a world pack, because if the FULL product as I would buy it in stores only includes Hawaii, then I am disinterested. What a load of bull  :hrmm:
However, if it turns out that they just WORDED it wrongly and only the demo includes Hawaii then obviously that changes alot.
That's the thing - I doubt this will be available on shelves.  This is probably a download-only product.

And no, it is not worded wrongly.  They are essentially doing what CaptainSim does with their aircraft.  They are releasing a base-model with limited features (in this case, only the geographic area of Hawaii and a couple of aircraft) and then I'm sure Microsoft will release their own addons that you can purchase (more areas to fly in, more aircraft, more missions, etc.).  Then, it is up to addons being developed by third parties (which is still a huge grey area in who can develop for Flight and how it will be sold).

#29 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Now that this subject is out in the public domain, I can talk about it.

In Redmond at our meeting with MS last month, that question was asked. The answer was that MS would work with "partners" to provide content, if their own in-house developers couldn't. Last week I spoke with a very well known 3rd party supplier to FSX about this subject. He stated that his group had discussed a relationship that would allow them to provide content to FLIGHT, however, the percentage of the sale given back to the developer was a deal breaker.

When you think of 3rd party developers and product available to users of FLIGHT, think of the ITunes store as a model.

Let me also add that of the organizations invited to Redmond, there was only one developer present and they will remain nameless.

http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2212007

#30 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

Looks like a bit of a let down.
I'll still download it and try it out but it looks like I haven't wasted as much on FSX as I thought.  :hrmm:

#31 touchdown

touchdown

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

I'm totally gonna get crap for this, but for me as a light simmer, the free hawaii-only area fits my needs well. I won't have much time to touch the sim, but when I do, I just want to coast around enjoying scenery in a light single-engine craft. I don't need the whole world of scenery to fly through or eat up my hard-drive space. Just my 1.5 cents.

#32 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

From what I can read in this link:
http://kotaku.com/58...pcs-this-spring

I'm giving flight a miss. If I have to in any way use GFWL i'll stay with FS9. I'll rather there not be a dumbed down version of FS. I can go on all day about the link, but tbh I can't be bothered :hrmm:

#33 VF1-114 Maverick

VF1-114 Maverick

formerly alansaloserx1000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

View Posttouchdown, on Jan 4 2012, 03:45 PM, said:

I'm totally gonna get crap for this, but for me as a light simmer, the free hawaii-only area fits my needs well. I won't have much time to touch the sim, but when I do, I just want to coast around enjoying scenery in a light single-engine craft. I don't need the whole world of scenery to fly through or eat up my hard-drive space. Just my 1.5 cents.

To each to his/her own! Personally I'm gonna stick with FSX and keep flying my Boeings. Disappointing yes, but there is always XP10 (which I'm getting soon) and isn't Aerosoft working on a new Flight Sim?

Look at the bright side, at least the devs can continue making awesome stuff for FSX!

#34 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

XP10 looks alright. All I need for XP10 is a 737 and squawkbox, and I'm set :hrmm:

#35 PrivateCustard

PrivateCustard

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

Total and utter deflation.

It's like expecting a blu ray player for christmas, unwrapping it, opening the box........and finding out that someone's taken a :hrmm: in it.

#36 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostVF1-114 Maverick, on Jan 4 2012, 02:03 PM, said:

To each to his/her own! Personally I'm gonna stick with FSX and keep flying my Boeings. Disappointing yes, but there is always XP10 (which I'm getting soon) and isn't Aerosoft working on a new Flight Sim?

Look at the bright side, at least the devs can continue making awesome stuff for FSX!
I think I remember hearing that Aerosoft stopped production to focus on addons for XP10.

#37 Kenneth

Kenneth

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

It seems as if they made an arcade version of FSX...

#38 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

I have a feeling that in the next 2-3 years, we're going to see a lot of changes with MSFT Game Studios related to the game's development. Seeing the negative anticipation from other major websites, it won't be long before "I think I did it wrong" will be said in their office.

Also, is there any update on Aerosoft's FS? I know they claimed production of one a while ago but I'm not aware of any recent news.

A hopeful part of me is also wishing this is merely some kind of Beta platform. It doesn't make sense to make a flight simulator go from a worldwide scale to a few islands in the Pacific. The Zune HD software was a test platform for Windows Phone 7, but nobody knew it (just an example). The awful trailer for Flight also seemed rushed. Either they didn't want to waste their time on a smaller project or it was simply badly done.

Edited by Independence76, 04 January 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#39 PrivateCustard

PrivateCustard

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

View PostIndependence76, on Jan 4 2012, 10:57 PM, said:

Seeing the negative anticipation from other major websites, it won't be long before "I think I did it wrong" will be said in their office.

With probably millions already spent and a shedload of middle-managers desperate to not lose face (and their jobs). I'm pretty sure Flight will be hailed "a resounding success"!

But yeah, from what I've been seeing all over the web tonight, I think they should postpone for quite a long time, go back to the drawing board and try again. I'm amazed that they haven't merely crapped out on a couple of things, but flown up to a great height and dumped on everything that they'd taken years to build up..........including their user-base.

#40 Mumbles

Mumbles

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Pfff, hope somebody remembers to include this somewhere in "biggest fails of 2012" next year.