188 replies to this topic

#41 AlexKitch

AlexKitch

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

The thing is... with all of this in mind, I'm not really sure who Microsoft are targeting Flight at any more.  Who is their target audience?

Let's face facts, the vast majority of people playing FSX are doing so as aviation enthusiasts/hobbyists who are prepared to shell out serious hard earned cash for solid 3rd party aircraft and scenery.  By shunning this market and saying "Sorry guys, we're not going down that route any more", are they not effectively shooting themselves in both feet with a sawn-off shotgun?

If not, then who is the other market?  The 'casual' gamer?  Come on, really?  Which gamers are buying Windows Live flight games because they like the idea of flying through hoops in Hawaii with their buddies?  Everyone is playing Batman, and Modern Warfare, and Battlefield.  Get real, Microsoft.

I can't say much more until I've seen it for myself, but I sure as :hrmm: hope Microsoft know what they're doing.  I can't help but feel that Flight is a marketing tragedy just waiting to unfold.

Edit:  In my honest opinion, a better idea would be to at least open up the marketplace to 3rd party developers.  Allow licensed developers (such as PMDG) to make content for the game, then sell it on the marketplace for a percentage of the profit.  It's still a back-stabbing greedy approach, but at there'd at least remain some hope for the enthusiast who accepts nothing less than PMDG standards.

Edited by AlexKitch, 04 January 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#42 cyvr

cyvr

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

I hate to say it but looks like PC gaming as a whole is slowly dying out and it's safe to say that Microsoft doesn't want to spend money and resources creating another FSX because I assume they don't see a large return.

It's sad that MS couldn't create one last sim that would actually fly out of the box on current hardware Instead we're stuck with FSX which I refuse to fly and now this pile of s!!t. I guess I'll stick with FS2004 and all my add on's and hope MS changes it's mind over time and build from MS Flight and offer a full sim.

Edited by cyvr, 04 January 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#43 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

RETARDS

Well, looks like we're going to have to stick with FSX and getting the most powerful computers ever, but if MS doesn't get MSF together then eventually X-Plane is going to take the market.

Edited by pyruvate, 04 January 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#44 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

This has to be a joke, right guys?!  :hrmm:

#45 AlexKitch

AlexKitch

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

Just received my Beta key and download link.

I guess it's time to see for myself.

#46 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

The video is arcadey and useless :/ .  Also is it just me or does the game's color look a bit dull, like X-Plane's.

#47 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

OK, people, listen:

Yes, I'm disappointed, too. I'm not happy. BUT, let's look at this realistically for a moment. Do you really think that this is the final project? Do you really think they're just going to release this and pack their bags? Come on.

It's unrealistic to anticipate going from worldwide to a few islands - so how is it realistic to stop there? This could be a base testing platform for all we know. Microsoft has a history of doing things like that (if anybody has cared too look).

I don't see one :hrmm: video with a few killed hopes and call it quits. I may not be happy at all, but I'm going to download it for the heck of it to see if the programmers did the job they claimed to do. Then I might be hopeful of something much, much larger.

Am I being overoptimistic? Possibly, but I don't have any evidence to refute a future or expansion off of this system. I have enough logical anticipation to assume they're going to work on a much bigger project if it runs well on current systems.

#48 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

While the news about addon developers is incredibly disappointing, I am hoping that will change with time. If not, then Flight might not gain much success...

As far as Hawaii being free and having to purchase the rest of the world, I don't see any issue with that. Think of Hawaii as the demo, such as St. Maarten and FSX, and the rest of the world being the full game.

I did watch the new Webisode, and while the environment and aircraft did look nice, the music was terrible. :hrmm: Also, some of the "gameplay" looked very arcadish, but as long as we have our free flight mode, I don't care about goofy missions.

#49 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

What about:

In Microsoft Flight, players view the world from above in a visually stunning and realistic representation of the earth, complete with region-specific weather patterns, foliage, terrain and landmarks. Players can choose to take the helm using highly rendered, accurate cockpits and authentic piloting procedures, or simply use their mouse and keyboard to control the plane in an exterior view. More experienced players can tailor the flight controls to match their skill level, making Microsoft Flight easy for beginners while still challenging for the most accomplished PC pilots.

#50 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

View Postpyruvate, on Jan 4 2012, 08:45 PM, said:

What about:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm not abandoning all hope. B) However, if Microsoft blows the performance aspect, count me out.

By the way, where is BrandonF? :hrmm:

I don't know if this has been posted here, but here is a more complete rundown of Flight by Flyawaysimulations, who were present at the conference. http://flyawaysimula...rosoft-studios/ Some of it sounds very promising, and other parts... Well, just read it for yourself.

Edited by Rudolph-411, 04 January 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#51 VF1-114 Maverick

VF1-114 Maverick

formerly alansaloserx1000

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostAlexKitch, on Jan 4 2012, 08:38 PM, said:

Just received my Beta key and download link.

I guess it's time to see for myself.

Wow...I got mine too...I really wish I could say something but you know that whole NDA thing...

:hrmm:

#52 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

Woot, got a beta invite too...I wonder if most people did?

#53 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

View Post.Andrew, on Jan 4 2012, 09:53 PM, said:

Woot, got a beta invite too...I wonder if most people did?

I'm guessing since Hawaii will be free anyways that "yes" is the answer.

#54 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

I was selected as a beta tester yet I'm not authorized as a beta user...

#55 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostSanta_Claus, on Jan 4 2012, 07:01 PM, said:

I was selected as a beta tester yet I'm not authorized as a beta user...

The beta website will only work when you are signed with the LIVE ID that is linked to your gamertag, which you provided during the Flight Beta Connect registration. This may be different from LIVE ID you use to log in to Connect. (It may take up to 24 hours for your permissions to be granted to the beta website.)

#56 Romario_

Romario_

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

Yes, and I know several people outside of this site who were able to access it without any problem.

#57 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Well if it makes you feel any better I can't access it either.

#58 _TW_

_TW_

First Class Member\Screenshot Hotshot of 2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

:hrmm:  @ MS Flight.  What a joke!  Oh well, at least I can now optimize FSX and not feel bad about all the great add-ons that are available.  Heck, REX and OrbX transforms FSX into a new sim alone.  OrbX needs to come out with the entire earth  B)

#59 162db

162db

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

Cat's outta the bag. Now we know why we only saw Hawaii in those screenshots and why it is no longer titled Flight Simulator. Goodbye MS and hello XP!

#60 Chief NWA

Chief NWA

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

I just got an email saying I've been selected for the beta. I'll probably get around to downloading it this weekend, but I'm not expecting anything exciting, especially after reading this.