#1 bobby_macnair

bobby_macnair

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

wuovyGzt_Tc[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuovyGzt_Tc]

Edited by bobby_macnair, 10 January 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#2 Guest_caaront_*

Guest_caaront_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

cool.

#3 Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

View Postcaaront, on Jan 11 2012, 01:25 AM, said:

cool.

If your 6 years old!

#4 Korb

Korb

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

The more of this "simulator" that I see, the less faith I have in it as being anything more than a children's toy...

Edited by Korb, 11 January 2012 - 01:40 AM.

#5 BrandonF

BrandonF

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

I like how people think this is all you can do in Flight. I assure you it's not.

#6 AlexKitch

AlexKitch

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

View PostBrandonF, on Jan 11 2012, 01:39 AM, said:

I like how people think this is all you can do in Flight. I assure you it's not.

The problem, though, is that this is Microsoft's chosen demonstration of the game.  With that in mind, alarm bells should be ringing.  Generally, when a studio demos a game in public, they demo it in such a way to maximize relevance to its intended target audience.  At the (unnamed) games studio that I code for, we demonstrate games at tech shows like this and always try to show off features of our game that will appeal most to the market we're shooting for - makes sense, right?

The fact that Microsoft are actively demonstrating Flight (in an expensive public booth) as an arcadey "fly through the hoops" game compatible with Xbox 360 control and its fancy achievement based career indicates that this is the intended selling point of the game.  This isn't a product designed to appeal to hardcore aviation enthusiasts - if it was, Microsoft would be selling such features.

Personally, I'm baffled as to who on Earth Microsoft are actually targetting this game at.  Seems pretty typical Microsoft mentality to think that all the cool kids want to sit at their PC and fly planes around sticks with commentary from some patronizing woman to tell you how awesome you're doing.  As far as I can tell, this 'game' has little to no appeal in any market whatsoever, and will bomb for the same reason that Test Drive Unlimited 2 bombed in comparison to Test Drive Unlimited 1.  The lesson?  Know your market, and stick to it.  Arcade flight games just aren't cool, unless guns are involved.

Edited by AlexKitch, 11 January 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#7 Guest_caaront_*

Guest_caaront_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

Don't download load it and shut up about it if you don't like what you see, and stop whining about it, like your 6 years old.

#8 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostBrandonF, on Jan 10 2012, 11:39 PM, said:

It pretty much is  :hrmm:

#9 AlexKitch

AlexKitch

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

View Postcaaront, on Jan 11 2012, 10:00 PM, said:

Don't download load it and shut up about it if you don't like what you see, and stop whining about it, like your 6 years old.

People have every right to 'whine' about it, and it's also important for a developer to see such critical reception to a product demo/beta.  Without 'whining', there would be no visible market for the thing being 'whined' about.

Personally, I'm open minded to Flight for now - but I have every reason to 'whine' about what seems disappointing about it, and 'whine' I shall - with or without your approval.

Edited by AlexKitch, 12 January 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#10 Guest_caaront_*

Guest_caaront_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

I was referring to the poster calling me a 6 year old for saying "Cool".

#11 bobby_macnair

bobby_macnair

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:11 AM

View Postcaaront, on Jan 12 2012, 03:50 PM, said:

I was referring to the poster calling me a 6 year old for saying "Cool".

It wasn't because you said cool, he was implying that that game is more suitable for 6 year olds as it looks more like a 'game' than a simulator.

#12 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostAlexKitch, on Jan 11 2012, 06:55 AM, said:

The problem, though, is that this is Microsoft's chosen demonstration of the game.  With that in mind, alarm bells should be ringing.  Generally, when a studio demos a game in public, they demo it in such a way to maximize relevance to its intended target audience.  At the (unnamed) games studio that I code for, we demonstrate games at tech shows like this and always try to show off features of our game that will appeal most to the market we're shooting for - makes sense, right?

The fact that Microsoft are actively demonstrating Flight (in an expensive public booth) as an arcadey "fly through the hoops" game compatible with Xbox 360 control and its fancy achievement based career indicates that this is the intended selling point of the game.  This isn't a product designed to appeal to hardcore aviation enthusiasts - if it was, Microsoft would be selling such features.

Personally, I'm baffled as to who on Earth Microsoft are actually targetting this game at.  Seems pretty typical Microsoft mentality to think that all the cool kids want to sit at their PC and fly planes around sticks with commentary from some patronizing woman to tell you how awesome you're doing.  As far as I can tell, this 'game' has little to no appeal in any market whatsoever, and will bomb for the same reason that Test Drive Unlimited 2 bombed in comparison to Test Drive Unlimited 1.  The lesson?  Know your market, and stick to it.  Arcade flight games just aren't cool, unless guns are involved.
In one way you gotta feel sorry for how stupid they are, right? :hrmm:

Like they honestly believe they can just change a game in order to attract newer demographic. It aint gonna happen. Unless it involves bloodshed, gore, violence and all that crap, Flight will never be a mainstream game. It aint like car racing games either. It's much more specified, so if it aint a sim, its practically worthless.

But let Microsoft continue daydreaming. I'll be sitting here laughing when Microsoft realize their plan isnt working.

#13 ZZMan

ZZMan

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hello all from post communist Europe,

guys, I couldn't agree with you more. I just simply don't see the audience or the point of Microsoft Flight.. You can fly it with an XBox controller, ok, sure. So people are going to sit in their couches and fly after their daily work. No shooting, or real simulation, just fly. Riight.
If it stays in this form, it is going to be a huge miss. The managers probably smoke too much weed at Microsoft these days.

#14 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostBrandonF, on Jan 11 2012, 01:39 AM, said:

What else can you do then? fly around the world...