#1 JohnMagill

JohnMagill

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

Processor: Intel Core Quad CPU  Q8200 @ 2.33GHz  2.34 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.25 GB usable)
System type: 32-bit Operating System
Video card: 1 GB DDR 3  HD 6450
2nd internal hard drive 1 TB
Service Pack 1
I'm thinking that I might go to X-plane 10.  The reason is that it seems FSX might be the last as microsoft stopped support to us simmers.  But I've spent a lot on add-ons, about £300 over the years and I don't have a lot of money.
So if anybody can help me decide I'd welcome it. :hrmm:

#2 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

Best bet is to download the demo and try it yourself.  
http://www.x-plane.c...-plane_10_demo/

#3 JohnMagill

JohnMagill

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostCaptainG37, on Feb 23 2012, 07:28 AM, said:

Best bet is to download the demo and try it yourself.  
http://www.x-plane.c...-plane_10_demo/
I spent 2 hours down loading X plane 10 and it would not run at all.  I'm a user not a programmer so what it suggested was way beyond me like: "reconfigure something" and "did not recognise my memory".  I never had this with FSX, at least it run.  Things are not looking in favour of X-plane. :hrmm:

#4 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

Brace yourself, the flame war is about to begin...

Edited by LA_PHX, 23 February 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#5 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

No flame war.  
But if John just asks questions without the pointless complaining, then I'll help him.  It takes me literally 5 minutes to configure X Plane from scratch.
You have tens of thousands of people who have downloaded x plane 10 and have no problems with it.
John, once you get the "FSX didn't do it like this" mentality out of your head, I'll be more than happy to help you.
X Plane is not FSX.  If you want FSX, then stick with it and don't download X Plane.

#6 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I must admit that I'm getting more and more impressed with XP everytime I use it - it just appears to be a lot more immersive than FSX.

I've had no desire to play FSX since I got XP.

I guess once PMDG release their debut XP product (either the JS41 or the secret project) we'll get a better idea of the comparison.

The AI / ATC system still needs a lot of work - I'm seeing taxiing B747s screeching around not even on the tarmac - they're about 1nm away ripping through town!

#7 EduardoSpaz

EduardoSpaz

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Both sims have their pros and cons.

#8 deetee

deetee

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

Hey John, with your current hardware I would hold off until you upgrade.
By then XP10 will be a little more stable and polished.

The ATC is very rudimentary for the moment, but we're told that will improve.
Once you upgrade it will be worth it; XP10 with HDR looks superb (and that's from an FSX guy). :hrmm:

Edited by deetee, 24 February 2012 - 05:19 AM.

#9 JohnMagill

JohnMagill

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostCaptainG37, on Feb 23 2012, 02:22 PM, said:

No flame war.  
But if John just asks questions without the pointless complaining, then I'll help him.  It takes me literally 5 minutes to configure X Plane from scratch.
You have tens of thousands of people who have downloaded x plane 10 and have no problems with it.
John, once you get the "FSX didn't do it like this" mentality out of your head, I'll be more than happy to help you.
X Plane is not FSX.  If you want FSX, then stick with it and don't download X Plane.
Sorry for my complaining, I shouldn't have made the message sound like that but lately the frustration gets at me.
I've looked at the instructions with more depth so I'll write them in full;
"X-Plane cannot access 3GB virtual memory. This can cause crashes and memory shortages with high rendering settings.
You can reconfigure windows to fix this.  Click 'Get more help' to go to a web page with instructions on how to configure Windows."

I did this but the only got information of a 'log.txt' message.  I'm completely lost with the information so my lack of knowledge has left stuck.

#10 JohnMagill

JohnMagill

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

I forgot to add that I'm on Windows 7.  I was told earlier that if FSX isn't loaded correctly it can have problems later with windows 7.  The 'get some help' mentions XP, vista but not windows 7.

#11 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostJohnMagill, on Feb 24 2012, 03:55 PM, said:

I forgot to add that I'm on Windows 7.  I was told earlier that if FSX isn't loaded correctly it can have problems later with windows 7.  The 'get some help' mentions XP, vista but not windows 7.

They just reccomend that you install outside the "Program Files" folder due to the way that the comupter prioritises and controls these files (to do with administrative privaliges on the user account - doesn't matter if its set to "run as administrator" or not)

#12 yimmy149

yimmy149

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

I have not tried Win7 32-bit, so I can't confirm this will fix it, but here's a page that shows the 3GB switch setup:

http://usa.autodesk....;linkID=9240697

#13 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostJohnMagill, on Feb 24 2012, 11:00 PM, said:

Sorry for my complaining, I shouldn't have made the message sound like that but lately the frustration gets at me.
I've looked at the instructions with more depth so I'll write them in full;
"X-Plane cannot access 3GB virtual memory. This can cause crashes and memory shortages with high rendering settings.
You can reconfigure windows to fix this.  Click 'Get more help' to go to a web page with instructions on how to configure Windows."

I did this but the only got information of a 'log.txt' message.  I'm completely lost with the information so my lack of knowledge has left stuck.

See John?  Less hostility from you.  No complaining.  A legitimate question asking for help. and the help starts raining down.
For your memory issue, try yimmy's idea.  That fixes a lot of memory issues and is part of the x plane wiki.
For any other issues, have a look at the wiki itself at
wiki.x-plane.com

#14 JohnMagill

JohnMagill

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

View Postyimmy149, on Feb 24 2012, 01:57 PM, said:

I have not tried Win7 32-bit, so I can't confirm this will fix it, but here's a page that shows the 3GB switch setup:

http://usa.autodesk....;linkID=9240697
I did as instructed and went to 'command prompt', entered the order - the answer was ".....carried out sucessfully......".
When I tried to load the demo it came back with the same:
X-Plane cannot access 3GB virtual memory. This can cause crashes and memory shortages with high rendering settings.
You can reconfigure windows to fix this. Click 'Get more help' to go to a web page with instructions on how to configure Windows."

#15 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

Contact support and be as specific as you can.

http://www.x-plane.c...upport/landing/

#16 JohnMagill

JohnMagill

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

OK I'll give that a try.

#17 yimmy149

yimmy149

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostJohnMagill, on Feb 25 2012, 04:04 AM, said:

I did as instructed and went to 'command prompt', entered the order - the answer was ".....carried out sucessfully......".
When I tried to load the demo it came back with the same:
X-Plane cannot access 3GB virtual memory. This can cause crashes and memory shortages with high rendering settings.
You can reconfigure windows to fix this. Click 'Get more help' to go to a web page with instructions on how to configure Windows."

Sorry it didn't work, did you reboot after you ran the switch?  That's essential.

#18 Ax7

Ax7

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Ok guys... quick questions here:

-Which sim is more realistic?
-Which sim performs more better in terms of fps?

I heard you can use X-Plane with VATSIM... not only that, but you can also fly with people who are using FSX.. is this true?

thanks

#19 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostAx7, on 21 May 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

-Which sim is more realistic?

In terms of visuals - FSX is currently the leading sim. If you're looking at Flight Dynamics then they are similar, both have their ups and downs. Though as a user of both, I find XP is the more realistic sim. But if you're looking at aircraft systems - then FSX has more to offer at the present time - unless ofcourse you're looking at helicopters - there are basic autopilots out there, but XP has far superior and trimmable helos.

-Which sim performs more better in terms of fps?

Depends on your hardware setup. But XP is more fine tuned to todays hardware, FSX is still very much useable if you have a decent CPU + GPU.

I heard you can use X-Plane with VATSIM... not only that, but you can also fly with people who are using FSX.. is this true?

Couldn't comment as I don't fly online.

Edited by Jonay, 21 May 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#20 Ax7

Ax7

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

View PostJonay, on 21 May 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

In terms of visuals - FSX is currently the leading sim. If you're looking at Flight Dynamics then they are similar, both have their ups and downs. Though as a user of both, I find XP is the more realistic sim. But if you're looking at aircraft systems - then FSX has more to offer at the present time - unless ofcourse you're looking at helicopters - there are basic autopilots out there, but XP has far superior and trimmable helos.

Depends on your hardware setup. But XP is more fine tuned to todays hardware, FSX is still very much useable if you have a decent CPU + GPU.

Couldn't comment as I don't fly online.
Thank you for responding to my question!

I just got a new rig, this is what I got:
i5 2500k
hyper 212 cpu cooler
corsair 8gb RAM 1600mhz
asus p8z68-v lx mobo
corsair 64gb SSD x 2
500gb hard drive
windows 7 64 bi
GTX 285

Will I be able to run FSX on ultra high settings with REX and other add-ons? or am I asking for too much? :P

I'm going to purchase the standard version of FSX tomorrow.

Edited by Ax7, 22 May 2012 - 12:17 AM.