Its shite.

#22 h.V

h.V

formerly DiscoveryVACEO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Just finished couple of missions and I must say that the graphic (on high setting) for out of the box are really good! The idea of playing with the mouse should had been applied for previews FS, the head moment for virtual cockpit by simply  clicking right button makes it easy for players who doesn't have joystick but I'm sure it would be useful for those who fly 747 PMDG. Now the downfall is that you are limited to one island (and yes I know that you can purchase the rest of Hawaii) but still, whatever happened to "Free Flight" mode really sucks. Hawaii landscape are really good since that's all they had to work on for couple of years.

Microsoft Fly is indeed a simple "game" rather then simulator. It sucks because it really have some innovated ideas on its UI and its play game, would be really awesome to see in FS11. For those who are familiar with the keys of previews FS will be surprise that most of those keys don't work on Flight. Our famous ALT key doesn't do nothing.

After couple hours I was bored since it's very limited. If Microsoft Flight opens it self for addons scenery and planes, it might "help" but at the end of the day it's a game.

Yup, we are better off playing with our FSX. :hrmm:

#23 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Just tried the first challenge! My plane kept stalling but fixed that somewhat. I t does support an-X-BOX 360 controller so that is nice! Beautiful textures on the planes and the Ocean water gives REX a run for the money but so what! Unless more is coming in the way of Jet-aircraft and more geographical coverage--you are stuck flying around the Hawaiian "Big Island" only!

I will wait to see---BTW--the pc demands are basically similar to FSX--demanding! But nice "Eye-candy" :hrmm:

#24 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

From the videos/screenshots I've seen I really like the interface and plus the scenery ain't too bad for default (better than FSX imo) but the only thing ruining the game is how every minor thing is going to be given a price plus GFWL. If they packaged this like FSX they could have made loads more money than the reaction we're getting from flight. Wish companies had more common sense.

#25 PrivateCustard

PrivateCustard

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

This sums things up for me.

CKdJepjFOLw

Uninstalling now!

#26 h.V

h.V

formerly DiscoveryVACEO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostPrivateCustard, on Feb 29 2012, 06:04 PM, said:

CKdJepjFOLw
Uninstalling now!
I LOL'D very much. It's somewhat how I feel.

#27 Flaminghotsauce

Flaminghotsauce

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'm unable to get into the cockpit view. The ONLY view I can get is the flyby. :hrmm: hard to line up to a runway like that.

#28 EduardoSpaz

EduardoSpaz

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

FDE is way off.

#29 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

View Posth.V, on Feb 29 2012, 09:13 AM, said:

Just finished couple of missions and I must say that the graphic (on high setting) for out of the box are really good! The idea of playing with the mouse should had been applied for previews FS, the head moment for virtual cockpit by simply  clicking right button makes it easy for players who doesn't have joystick but I'm sure it would be useful for those who fly 747 PMDG. Now the downfall is that you are limited to one island (and yes I know that you can purchase the rest of Hawaii) but still, whatever happened to "Free Flight" mode really sucks. Hawaii landscape are really good since that's all they had to work on for couple of years.

Microsoft Fly is indeed a simple "game" rather then simulator. It sucks because it really have some innovated ideas on its UI and its play game, would be really awesome to see in FS11. For those who are familiar with the keys of previews FS will be surprise that most of those keys don't work on Flight. Our famous ALT key doesn't do nothing.

After couple hours I was bored since it's very limited. If Microsoft Flight opens it self for addons scenery and planes, it might "help" but at the end of the day it's a game.

Yup, we are better off playing with our FSX. :hrmm:
How much did Microsoft pay you to write this crap? No offense intended.

#30 n4gix

n4gix

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

View Postjcovelli, on Feb 28 2012, 06:07 PM, said:

the question is... who's gonna be the first to buy the rest of hawaii and the other planes... and do a review :hrmm:

What would be the point? Most of the folks here (and elsewhere) would simply waste precious time ridiculing not only the "review" but lambasting the person who even dared to write it!

Frankly, if the "nay-sayers" and "haters" put even one-tenth of the effort into honestly trying Flight COMPLETELY, then they might have some credibility.

View Postjcovelli, on Feb 29 2012, 04:36 AM, said:

- downloaded the release package. no options for custom install... at least none that popped up... so it installed on the hd i didn't want it to. that pissed me of already

That's your own fault paying attention to the installation dialogs carefully.
Mine installed on my F: drive without problems.

#31 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Microsoft flight may as well just be a sub-forum of the Nonsense sub-forum

#32 n4gix

n4gix

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostPrivateCustard, on Feb 29 2012, 07:04 PM, said:

Uninstalling now!
What is that supposed to prove? That you're too impatient to complete a five minute introductory flight like an adult?

Once the two short introductory tutorial flights are completed, the complete "Free Flight" mode is unlocked, and you'd never see those two short tutorials again.

In short, you wanted it to be a failure and never had any intentions of giving Flight a FAIR test.

#33 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

View Postn4gix, on Mar 1 2012, 02:30 PM, said:

What would be the point? Most of the folks here (and elsewhere) would simply waste precious time ridiculing not only the "review" but lambasting the person who even dared to write it!

Frankly, if the "nay-sayers" and "haters" put even one-tenth of the effort into honestly trying Flight COMPLETELY, then they might have some credibility.

the first part... exactly. that's why i lold

the second part... it's extremely hard to try it "completely" when there is nothing complete about it. no simulation aspects anywhere to be found.  and game wise... there's only 3 mission types which take under an hour to complete. i did everything there is to do in flight in one hour.  so i guess you could say i did it "completely". as i said... there is literally nothing to review. unless you want me to say... the hoops are very... green, there are some placed higher and some lower.. this makes flying through them more interesting. your invisible friend / passenger talks while you fly in order to try to get you to forget about how boring what you're doing actually is, the only problem is that it doesn't quite work. the airports are very airporty.. some have paved runways.. others do not.

the one thing i haven't said or seen said.. the free flight is overly hard to set up and VERY limited in options.

#34 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

View Postn4gix, on Mar 1 2012, 01:43 PM, said:

What is that supposed to prove? That you're too impatient to complete a five minute introductory flight like an adult?

Once the two short introductory tutorial flights are completed, the complete "Free Flight" mode is unlocked, and you'd never see those two short tutorials again.

In short, you wanted it to be a failure and never had any intentions of giving Flight a FAIR test.

It proves it's not worthy of being installed in the first place, because it's horrible.

#35 AlexLloyd

AlexLloyd

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

It's good fun as a bit of a mess about. It's nice to just forgot flying the big heavy metal stuff, jump on a basic multiplayer and have a laugh. As much as I appreciate how realistic previous versions of Flight Sim are, I think Flight is great just for a laugh. A lot of the community are just dismissing it straight away. I think it's wrong. You have to appreciate it for what it is and what Microsoft are marketing it as. A game! Not a simulator! It was never advertised as a simulator and we all built our hopes up. Go have some fun and take a break from flying the NGX (which I'm sure I'll be back to in a week or so!!  :hrmm:)

#36 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

I totally see why MS has gone down the route it as - I mean compare it to Battlefield/Battlelog or COD for example.

People these days are too hung up on stats - they want to be the best at everything and they want everyone to know about it. Hence why they've linked it for Games for Windows Live.

The only thing it's lacking is guns and explosions for it to be a real action game - but I guess it's just a much easier game for the younger kids or new entries to get interested and then move to FSX later on once they strive for more realism.

Maybe it's a good thing? Maybe people were too feart to try MSFS becuase they didn't now where to start and Rod's flying lessons were a bit too serious for them - Flight is a much much dumbed down version that will hopefully bridge the gap and draw in more interest in the future for MSFS.

Yes? No?

#37 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

^ Nope.

Microsoft saw Valve selling virtual hats at $5 a piece and thought they could do the same with virtual scenery. They wouldn't have developed Flight without the intent of making money.

#38 PrivateCustard

PrivateCustard

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

View Postn4gix, on Mar 1 2012, 06:43 PM, said:

I did step off the ordered path during the missions, and I saw horrid clouds, horrid textures, horrid water and a horrid little aircraft. Doesn't feel very nice either.

One thing it does have going for it are the nice stable framerates. But that's all really.

#39 JimF

JimF

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hi,

The major roads still have a feeling of not being totally integrated with the underlying scenery.  They are certainly less offensive than in the Flight Simulator series, but still.  The graphics seem a bit dark also.  I'm getting a feel for the interface and beginning to appreciate the interactiveness, e.g. set the free flight conditions and these are what you'll experience within a challenge.
I went into the cfg and set the VC default zoom to 1.0 but it still feels wideangle.  For me this detracts from the immersive feel.
Despite the obvious limitations there's a lot to enjoy here.  And I haven't even spent any money yet!  

Jim F.

#40 bonchie

bonchie

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Honestly, some of you are being a bit harsh.

I'm completely against the idea of Flight, it's business model, and what FS has become. But, being objective some things are well done and this is not an arcade game.

The flight dynamics are indeed better then FSX default and many 3rd party aircraft. The reaction your plane has to wind is more realistic. The planes that are included have realistic check lists and are started, operated, etc. in a realistic manner. Graphically, it's better then FSX and performs really well. Things like missions don't bother me. That's stupid to get upset about. FSX had the same things and I enjoyed many of them.

In short, the problem with Flight isn't what's there. It's what's not there. What's there is good and it is indeed a decent simulator. But having no full world, no ATC, no AI system, no flight planning, extremely limited menu options, no airport ops, etc. are what kill it.

Flight's scope is so limited compared to FSX that it's almost mind blowing that MS chose to take such a step back. Has any franchise in history done so?

DLC business models don't lend themselves to continued deepening of a product either. DLC tends to be shallow, surface paint to nickel and dime the customer for small improvements. Your more likely to see them try to make money off of simple planes and missions vs. beginning to build Flight into a worthy sequel to FSX.

It's sad because the core of Flight, it's flight modeling, it's weather modeling (how your plane reacts I mean), it's graphical enhancements, it's performance, etc. are all good and are not inferior to FSX in anyway. Yet, Joshua Howard decided to just stop and strip everything else out and neuter what could of been a great simulator.

Go look at some of the stuff in the .pak files in Flight and you'll see .xml's made by ACES showing what FS11 was going to be. Sids, Stars, etc. Just depressing thinking about what would of been had Howard not completely blew up the project when he took the reigns.

Edited by bonchie, 02 March 2012 - 05:14 PM.