8 replies to this topic

#1 Heimi77

Heimi77

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

There are enough threads about the bad sides/fail and criticism.
Please stay away with this.

This thread made for positive things you can find in Flight.

I just have to make an exception from my side and that should be the only one in this thread: The Flight free content/base game is a bit weak/poor. Big Island is a boring scenery and the missions/jobs/challenges too. Aircrafts are "simple" GA VFR machines.
So I downloaded the Hawaii DLC and the Maule although it is expensive.
BUT now i can see the advantages Flight has:

Scenery:
Just nice and beautiful. Lots of Details. Better autogen. Good gfx. Nice mood.

Aircrafts:
Detailed like some 3rd party payware, fully functional.

RV-6 is a fun machine. Capable of aerobatic and IFR (VOR/ILS/NDB..), very fast.

Maule is better than it was in FSX, more realistic feeling, more detailed and high resolution gfx. Only AP doesn`t work until now, but rumours say it will in the future.

Physics:
In my opinion it`s much more realistic than FSX. Gusts, x-wind... work better.
And I am able to do aerobatics that i couldn`t do in FSX.

Missions:
Loved missions in FSX, now they go on in Flight. Missions, Jobs, Challenges - there quite some nice in the Hawaii DLC and with the Maule. And for me the main reason to use Flight. In FSX i was always looking for new mission, don`t like flying a to b just for nothing.

Things to come:
Looking in the config files and awards of Flight there are some hints what will come.
Mach1,2,3, 50k feet, 80k feet, 1 million passenger awards. So jets will come.
AI Aircraft, street- water traffic, jetways, helicopter are mentioned in the config files.

Thats a short review from my side, i`m sure i forgot someting. I`ll add later. Fell free to add too. POSITIVE  :hrmm:

#2 yimmy149

yimmy149

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

My optimistic perspective is as follows...

A popular development model for internet companies right now is called "MVP":  Minimum Viable Product.

When following this strategy a company builds the bare minimum product and gets it into the end-users hands as fast as possible.  The product is loaded up with metrics to monitor exactly what features are popular and what ones are hardly used.

Microsoft has already said they have metrics, and when you look what features MS Flight shipped with, it's obvious this is the approach they are taking.  A bit of scenery, a couple planes, some missions and a GUI to glue it together - there isn't much more they could have left out.  Obviously they can't sell an AI engine or an ATC engine without a simulator for it to plug into, so those would have to come later.

I think Flight will become a true Flight Simulator if they feel the demand is there.

-james

#3 _BD6_

_BD6_

June '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

View Postyimmy149, on Mar 1 2012, 07:59 PM, said:

A popular development model for internet companies right now is called "MVP":  Minimum Viable Product.

When following this strategy a company builds the bare minimum product and gets it into the end-users hands as fast as possible.  The product is loaded up with metrics to monitor exactly what features are popular and what ones are hardly used.

Microsoft has already said they have metrics, and when you look what features MS Flight shipped with, it's obvious this is the approach they are taking.  A bit of scenery, a couple planes, some missions and a GUI to glue it together - there isn't much more they could have left out.  Obviously they can't sell an AI engine or an ATC engine without a simulator for it to plug into, so those would have to come later.

I think Flight will become a true Flight Simulator if they feel the demand is there.

-james

... There's pretty much no features but "Hey fly this little car-plane through some hoops."

#4 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

View Postyimmy149, on Mar 1 2012, 07:59 PM, said:

-james

You are an eternal optimist mate! B)  'Flight" is pretty much DOA--for true flightsim enthusiasts! WE want the whole sim at once!-- not piecemeal bits and pieces! I think only if 'Flight" is successful in getting customers buying its expansion packs will it go anywhere. The jury is still out on this endevour by Microsoft! :hrmm:

#5 yimmy149

yimmy149

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

View Postb0gey_dead_six, on Mar 1 2012, 08:52 PM, said:

... There's pretty much no features but "Hey fly this little car-plane through some hoops."

That's my point exactly, as I said: "there isn't much more they could have left out."

My guess is once they've released some larger scenery areas, they will have a reason to release some airliners.  When you have airliners, there will be a reason to add-in ATC.  If the sales numbers and in-game metrics show people use them, they will spend more time on them.

Will Flight ever offer the technical level of difficulty that FSX + PMDG did?  No, I doubt they will bother with that market.  Obviously that will make it DOA for many of you, but I never liked flying the heavy metal.  So there is a chance it could be a product I enjoy someday in the future.

That being said, I purchased XP10 weeks ago, as I think that's where most of the interesting add-on development is going to happen in the future.

-james

Edited by yimmy149, 02 March 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#6 yimmy149

yimmy149

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

View Postfranthree, on Mar 1 2012, 09:08 PM, said:

You are an eternal optimist mate! :(  'Flight" is pretty much DOA--for true flightsim enthusiasts! WE want the whole sim at once!-- not piecemeal bits and pieces! I think only if 'Flight" is successful in getting customers buying its expansion packs will it go anywhere. The jury is still out on this endevour by Microsoft! :hrmm:

I can certainly see where you are coming from - but considering the dissolution of Aces and how recently Flight development was (re)started, if they were to deliver a complete simulator with global scenery, I think you'd be waiting at least a year, if not two.  Maybe a year from now, Flight will have the features you want at a "piecemeal" price that is similar to FSX Deluxe's $70 release price.

Anyway, I think I have squeezed all the optimism I can possibly muster.  I'm starting to sound like an MS supporter, which I'm not - I hate Microsoft for many reasons outside of flight simulation.  B)

-james

#7 n4gix

n4gix

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

An interesting "hint" at what might be coming down the road sooner rather than later was discovered in one of the webisodes at 0:58 second frame. It is a very quick glimpse of Kodiak Island Airport (Alaska).

#8 SamYeager

SamYeager

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

My optimistic note is that it is apparently possible to make an ILS approach usingthe RV-6A. I say 'apparently' because I haven't yet acquired the RV-6A to test this out but I have seen some threads and pics where this took place. The VOR and ILS frequencies can be displayed on the map screen.

Some may find this video , not made by me I hasten to add, of interest. I found it on another site  and it is quite lengthy but shows a number of aspects of Flight that some may not realise existed.

#9 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

View Postyimmy149, on Mar 2 2012, 01:35 PM, said:

I can certainly see where you are coming from - but considering the dissolution of Aces and how recently Flight development was (re)started, if they were to deliver a complete simulator with global scenery, I think you'd be waiting at least a year, if not two.  Maybe a year from now, Flight will have the features you want at a "piecemeal" price that is similar to FSX Deluxe's $70 release price.

Anyway, I think I have squeezed all the optimism I can possibly muster.  I'm starting to sound like an MS supporter, which I'm not - I hate Microsoft for many reasons outside of flight simulation.  B)

-james

I can see some logic (Microsoft)  might have in the adding of expansion scenery add-ons for "Flight" And people will probably pay for it.
We are forced now pretty much to buy add-on scenery-aircraft for FSX and FS-9 to have any real fun and/or realism in our flightsims now. If the expansion scenery/aircraft has add-on type quality (it does seem to!) I might give it go! :hrmm: Lets see! :(