Can't help yourself, can you Peter?

#4 Cortez

Cortez

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Theres so much potential for XP10. Can't wait to see all the addons that will come for it.

#5 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

I liked the explanations about the clouds. Very interesting technique, indeed. Looks very nice in the long distance too, the tests with the sun where really amazing. The drawback of this technique is that it will take a while before the sim gets able to generate a complex-enough shape to make a cloud actually look like a cloud. The clouds in the sim don't look so realistic, unfortunately. They are ok for cirrus clouds let's say, but for Cumulus and storms that's different...

The lighting system is even more powerfull than I imagined based on the screenshots I've seen before. The fact that all of the lights are dynamic are making night texture unecessary, and that's why he can switch the flight time so fast in the video. That's really cool.

The streets based on OpenStreetMap are a good idea too, unfortunately the rendering of most places out of big cities is really terrible at the moment, even with building density pushed to max. Even though the main roads are 100% true to life, the way the engine populates the buildings around those roads is not good enough to produce a town that looks like a town. I hope Austin can find a fix for this.

#6 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Nice explanation but much of X-Plane seems like a work in progress not a finished flight simulator--not very promising methinks! But I liked what I saw! :hrmm:

#7 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

What's the performance like though? Do you need a monster computer?

#8 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yes you do.
In the video, he says that he's flying with medium level of details, while using a CPU with six-cores.

#9 CaptainG37

CaptainG37

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Sorry for correcting you, Daube, but no, you do not need a monster computer.  A quad core i5 is more than enough to run it.  I have a quad core i7 and am getting up to 90fps in the air and 40fps on the ground with above average settings while flying my DC-3.  
I've seen Dual Core CPU's get a minimum of 25-30 fps on the ground.
The video that was posted is an early version of x plane.  The latest updates have seriously optimized it and people are reporting dramatically increased framerates across the board.

#10 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

What an awesome demo :hrmm: people need to remember that austin really does care for developing the sim, sure its a bit bare at the moment in terms of airport detail and alot of grass areas. but hes designed an outstanding platform. And theres no doubt that he will add many updates to xp10, adding more and more features. In my opinion, i think he needs to add actual random autogen to the cities, in the gap between the roads, and houses. I can envisage, football fields baseball parks, carparks, industrial complexes. I think this would cut down on the amount of green coming through and really fill the gaps that users might have becasue of limited settings.