30 replies to this topic

#21 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

Well after reading it again, I suppose he's right..   they targeted a new audience..  the arcade gamer who wanted challenges and missions in a GA aircraft..   he said they won't be making scenery for wherever long flights would take you, so you can probably guess that they won't be making any jetliners or probably not any jets what so ever..   you can forget about virtual airlines..   this is the real reason they took off "simulator."

#22 ChaoticBeauty

ChaoticBeauty

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostNWilkinson, on Mar 21 2012, 04:04 PM, said:

Well after reading it again, I suppose he's right..   they targeted a new audience..  the arcade gamer who wanted challenges and missions in a GA aircraft..   he said they won't be making scenery for wherever long flights would take you, so you can probably guess that they won't be making any jetliners or probably not any jets what so ever..   you can forget about virtual airlines..   this is the real reason they took off "simulator."

It's not supposed to be a simulator. Back in the early days of the announcement, Microsoft said this is an entirely new breed of flight inspired from the MSFS franchise.

#23 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostChaoticBeauty, on Mar 21 2012, 09:14 AM, said:

It's not supposed to be a simulator. Back in the early days of the announcement, Microsoft said this is an entirely new breed of flight inspired from the MSFS franchise.

I'm aware of that, but what I'm getting at is, they singled out an entire group of PC flying enthusiasts..  IE, the guys who do the long haul-requires flight planning-programming the fms group, pretty much every single virtual airline, and replaced it with low and slow "catch the coins" challenges.  I'm sorry, but no matter what you call it, they're all greedy :hrmm:.  A $20 dollar DLC for a small region might seem like a small one time purchase, but over the course of what, 2 or 3 years, you'll end up spending over $200 dollars and you still won't have a quarter of the world.

#24 _BD6_

_BD6_

June '10 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

I can't believe they could possibly be this stupid. Sure right now they may be getting revenue from some people who are excited to try it out.. but after a few months or a year.. what happens? It becomes the same old boring stuff.. They'll stop playing.. bye bye profit for MS.

On the other hand, if they made and marketed the game to the real Sim Enthusiasts.. included the whole world, and fixed all the bugs FSX had - I'm sure all of us would pay $70-80 for it. Then they would work with 3rd party devs and agree on a deal perhaps like 70/30.. 70% revenue goes to 3PD, and the rest goes to MS. They would still be making money 3, 4, probably 5 and 6 years from now.

They forgot who their LOYAL market is.

#25 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostNWilkinson, on Mar 21 2012, 09:04 AM, said:

the arcade gamer who wanted challenges and missions in a GA aircraft..
People who wants challenges and missions are not always arcade gamers.
Some years ago I used to play with SimCopter. It was a fun game where you would fly your helicopter into complex cities, with various missions like transporting people, assisting cops or firemen etc...
I wish the same "game engine" would be proposed in a REALISTIC simulator like FSX or XPlane, where you would have to perform the same exact missions but with extremely realistic copters, with realistic instruments etc.... coupled with a total liberty.

Other "games" like the "Search and Rescue" serie were simulators too, not arcade games.

View Postb0gey_dead_six, on Mar 21 2012, 09:57 AM, said:

I can't believe they could possibly be this stupid. Sure right now they may be getting revenue from some people who are excited to try it out.. but after a few months or a year.. what happens? It becomes the same old boring stuff.. They'll stop playing.. bye bye profit for MS.
While I partly agree with you, I believe we should wait to see exactly how many "revenue" this game will generate for them over the next few years. If they fail and the gamers public stops using Flight, then we will be able to say that they have taken a stupid decision. If however they succeed and Flight keeps being used by the gamers, then it will proove that their decision was not stupid at all.

Frustrating for the simmers, yes, definitely.
Stupid, we don't know yet.

#26 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

View PostBrad, on Mar 20 2012, 11:22 AM, said:

What is most disheartening for me is their outlook toward things like ATC and, presumably, weather generation and the like.  But then again I guess those are the sorts of things that make a simulator a simulator, which was not their goal to begin with.  All in all I suppose that's pretty much what I expected them to say.
That's a good point. I never expected them to come out and say, "wow, we made a mistake - let's now make a simulator for you guys." However, them singling out the simulators as having "unproductive behavior" after essentially relying on us to get the word out at the start of this thing, I did not expect and found that rather unprofessional.

View PostChaoticBeauty, on Mar 21 2012, 07:14 AM, said:

But didn't they also say they were still trying to appeal to those hard-core simmers, as well as those people who have never played a flying game before? Let's be serious, they :hrmm:-well knew this wouldn't appeal to any simmer. They BS'ed us from the start to keep us at least a little bit interested to spread the word a bit, because let's face it, Microsoft isn't going to spend anything to market this crap.

#27 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

So, and I am being serious here, can FSW please drop all support of this piece of crap and its makers?

#28 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

View PostDaube, on Mar 21 2012, 10:04 AM, said:

Frustrating for the simmers, yes, definitely.
Stupid, we don't know yet.
It's definitely stupid.

Microsoft's IQ sank down like the Titanic after Bill Gates left.

Think about it. Is this the first and only stupid move Microsoft made?

Microsoft made so many stupid things in the past but lately they're beating Guinness records of stupidity.

Let's look at Windows 8. By far the stupidest operating system ever conceived. Unlike Apple, who offered an OS for desktops/laptops and an alternative OS for tablets, Microsoft thought it would be less hectic perhaps if they make a new OS (Windows 8) that functions almost the same, on desktops/laptops and tablets. This explains why Windows 8 is probably the crappiest operating system in the history of computing.

Microsoft Flight is nothing in comparison. So would anyone really be shell shocked if MS Flight turns out to be a stupid move? It's not like MS didn't make these stupid mistakes before and it's not like they ceased to show their stupidity with other projects they have in mind.

Edited by Mohammad, 24 March 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#29 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

View PostMohammad, on Mar 24 2012, 03:09 AM, said:

Think about it. Is this the first and only stupid move Microsoft made?
Nope. Also this.

Granted the latter stayed on shelves for a while. Still flopped.

Microsoft is good at creating concepts of great products. In execution, however, they succumb to a horrible death.

Edited by -Dexter, 24 March 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#30 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Lol @ Microsoft Kin. :hrmm:

I think Apple and Google overtook them even in coming up with concepts. Microsoft lost their touch. They're going through rough times, they desperately need a new leader to bring back life to them. Microsoft is essentially Bill Gates's empire. Without him, they're almost dead and buried. What they need is someone who can really call himself a successor of Bill Gates. Currently, the "successor" is a pretender.

#31 fuego

fuego

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostDaube, on 21 March 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

People who wants challenges and missions are not always arcade gamers.
Some years ago I used to play with SimCopter. It was a fun game where you would fly your helicopter into complex cities, with various missions like transporting people, assisting cops or firemen etc...
I wish the same "game engine" would be proposed in a REALISTIC simulator like FSX or XPlane, where you would have to perform the same exact missions but with extremely realistic copters, with realistic instruments etc.... coupled with a total liberty.
I used to play SimCopter with my kids too, as they were growing up. We had hours of fun and a lot of laughs with it as well. I've waited years for something like that with realistic flight model, improved graphics and nothing has ever come out in an attempt to improve on this theme. Take On Helicopters I think has tried to do something like this, but the reviews for it aren't too great. Shame. Anyway, didn't want to derail the topic, just thought I was the only one who ever enjoyed that silly game :)