AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

POPULAR

Hey guys,

Just another forum topic for another flight certificate. I did my Airplane Multi-Engine Instructor as my Initial Instructor checkride. About 3 hours of oral, and 1.4 on the Hobbs. This morning I'm flying the trusty Skyhawk hoping to get my Single Engine Instructor certificate within the next week here. A lot has changed around these forums since I joined, but I hope you guys are glad to see another Flight Simmer move up the ranks from being a 13 year old punk to a professional pilot.

AmericanAirfan

#2 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

I don't understand the system in the States. How can you instruct on a multi engine airplane and not on a single engined airplane?

#3 - M.Parker -

- M.Parker -

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

A multi-engine instructor certificate is separate from a single engine instructor certificate. Some people do their MEI or Instrument instructor certificate first, then add the single engine instructor certificate. AmericanAirFan, congrats on getting your MEI! I too have climbed the ranks from a 13 year old punk on these forums to a CFI. It's a pretty cool feeling.

#4 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

View Post- M.Parker -, on 28 June 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

A multi-engine instructor certificate is separate from a single engine instructor certificate. Some people do their MEI or Instrument instructor certificate first, then add the single engine instructor certificate.

I know. That's the part I don't understand. Shouldn't an SEI be a prerequisite for a MEI?

#5 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostHighFlyin, on 28 June 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

I know. That's the part I don't understand. Shouldn't an SEI be a prerequisite for a MEI?

No. If you look at the PTS and the requirements for a checkride. The initial flight instructor checkride (regardless of Single or multi) has extra things that you won't have with any add-ons. It's the FOI (Fundamentals Of Instructing). It's basically psychology and there is oral emphasis on this and flight instructor's privileges and responsibilities. FOI is a pain, but once your done you're better off for it as an instructor and it will not show up in subsequent checkrides. Also you will not get as much oral stuff about privileges or responsibilities as previous since as an instructor you should know that stuff.

The initial instructor certificate is the hardest to get due to these things. You have to prove do I know what it takes to be an instructor, and can I be an instructor? That is what you prove to the FAA on the first ride. The next rides, it's proving can I teach a student a Single Engine airplane, or can I teach a student instrument flying. And for the first one at our school since the initial has to be in a complex plane, and the only complex plane we have is the Diamond Twin Star, we do it in that plane. So it's proving instructor ability, and then proving can I teach in a multi-engine airplane. I'm hoping to have my Single Engine Instructor checkride within the next week. Then a few days after hopefully my Instrument Instructor check ride.

Good question though. Some people out there will even get their multi-engine land certificate before their single engine land.

And Thanks guys. :)

#6 SeattlePilot

SeattlePilot

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Congrats!

#7 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

Congrats!  I was happy when I got mine too, I just wish I used it more than I did :(

#8 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Thanks guys! Just got my Single Engine Instructor add on yesterday. I have my CFII check ride this Friday.

#9 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:34 AM

Just got my CFII done. Got a job lined up for the fall. Now I'm home enjoying my time off. Life is good. :)

#10 Mr. Schutte

Mr. Schutte

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Congratulations, now time for some pics!

#11 AA752

AA752

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

Awesome job! You will have to let us know how your first ride with a student goes. I haven't been on in AGES, so it's a nice surprise that the first post I see is one from another old hand :)

#12 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostMr. Schutte, on 05 August 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

Congratulations, now time for some pics!

Thanks! Definitely! Pics will come soon enough. :D

View PostAA752, on 05 August 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

Awesome job! You will have to let us know how your first ride with a student goes. I haven't been on in AGES, so it's a nice surprise that the first post I see is one from another old hand :)

Thanks! Dude how's it going man? Haven't seen you on here in AGES. :P

#13 AA752

AA752

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

I know! I decided that I wanted to see what was going on around here. I am at Laughlin AFB for now waiting to start pilot training. The nearby town of Del Rio is certainly...dead, but we do have a Walmart and Applebee's! I'm assuming that job you have lined up involves instructing?