#1 Panhead

Panhead

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

Hey,

So I just got the GP Hero3 Black for Christmas.  This is my first shot of it in action.  It's a fun little camera; really difficult not having a view-finder or live-view on the camera.  However being that it's such a wide angle lens you can pretty much guarantee it will capture everything.

Posted Image

http://cmfs2004.wordpress.com/

Anyways, cheers!

-Chris

#2 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

I always thought you died. Welcome back! Great pic! :)

#3 Panhead

Panhead

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I still browse the forums from time to time. but I haven't play FS in like 3 years.  There's not much for me to do on here.  I usually just creep on Off-Topic and graphics workshop.  I wish there was more photography in here though.  Nice to see you're stiiiiiiill around. Haha!

#4 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

If you have an iPhone or an Android device, you can download the app and control the GP3 through that device, it will also have live view.  I use it to aim and also control the settings on the GP3.

#5 Panhead

Panhead

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Post_NW_, on 28 December 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

If you have an iPhone or an Android device, you can download the app and control the GP3 through that device, it will also have live view.  I use it to aim and also control the settings on the GP3.

I've tried the app, it works intermittently for me.  It's not worth the hassle, not to mention the 7 second delay over wifi.  I'll probably use it for some application though.

-Chris-

#6 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

I use it for pointing and aiming....  once it's all set, I turn it off.  WIFI is a battery hog

They do make an LCD backback for it

#7 Mr. Schutte

Mr. Schutte

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

:thumbsupguy:

#8 Panhead

Panhead

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

View Post_NW_, on 28 December 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

I use it for pointing and aiming....  once it's all set, I turn it off.  WIFI is a battery hog

They do make an LCD backback for it

Yeah, I've noticed the wifi killing the battery.  Does yours get pretty warm?  I've noticed mine getting warm after not even much use.

-Chris-

#9 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Oh yeah it gets pretty warm, but most Li-ion batteries do while you're using it or charging it, I wouldn't worry about it.

#10 Panhead

Panhead

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

View Post_NW_, on 29 December 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Oh yeah it gets pretty warm, but most Li-ion batteries do while you're using it or charging it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Okay, just checking!  Here's a "portrait" of my GoPro I just shot last night!  :)

Posted Image

-Chris-

#11 higgi1fc

higgi1fc

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Also recently got the 3 black!  Loving it compared to the 2.  I've found the app to be awesome for starting/stopping video and turning on/off the camera when it is mounted somewhere not easily accessible.  The video delay is pretty terrible though, like ya said.  

The battery life on these things has always been terrible (even worse when it's cold), and the wifi just accentuates that.  I think the best accessory you can get is the battery bacpac, or even an additional battery ($20 at bestbuy) if you won't be able to charge it right away.

#12 Kentaro

Kentaro

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,959 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Waiting for the 2 to drop in price. I've always wanted a GoPro, but could never really find a reason to own one lol

#13 Panhead

Panhead

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

View Posthiggi1fc, on 30 December 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

Also recently got the 3 black!  Loving it compared to the 2.  I've found the app to be awesome for starting/stopping video and turning on/off the camera when it is mounted somewhere not easily accessible.  The video delay is pretty terrible though, like ya said.  

The battery life on these things has always been terrible (even worse when it's cold), and the wifi just accentuates that.  I think the best accessory you can get is the battery bacpac, or even an additional battery ($20 at bestbuy) if you won't be able to charge it right away.

Yeah, the app is nifty, but I just cant see myself fiddling around with it in reality.  It's kind of a hassle imo.  I'm going on vacation in May '13 so I'll be picking up a few accessories prior to that, a battery being one of those.

View PostKentaro, on 30 December 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Waiting for the 2 to drop in price. I've always wanted a GoPro, but could never really find a reason to own one lol

Technically this is my first camera, I figured it would be a fun P&S fisheye with great video capabilities.  I don't do any exciting sports or extreme stuff, but it's a pretty cool camera even so.

-Chris-

#14 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hero2, Silver + Black side by side comparisons.