28 replies to this topic

#21 michaeldefeyter

michaeldefeyter

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

I'm happy to announce that after a successful launch on the Apple App Store in June earlier this year, iFMS has now been released for Android devices on the Google Play Store.
Along with this release for Android, a new version 1.1 for iPhone/iPod/iPad will also be released in the coming days.

A much desired feature that is now included is the LNAV/VNAV engine.
Apart from using iFMS for flight planning/tracking/navigation, with this new engine iFMS is now also capable of controlling the aircraft's autopilot to fly the programmed LNAV/VNAV route.

This release also comes with 6 default aircraft configuration files, a 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 767-300ER, 777-200LR and a PA-28, but you can easily create your own following the tutorial and examples available on the iFMS website so iFMS can be used with almost any flight simulator standard and most add-on aircraft.

Graphics have been significantly improved since the original iOS release in June earlier this year.

A more detailed news bulletin will follow.

Michael De Feyter
www.ifms-fs.com
michael.defeyter@ifms-fs.com

#22 michaeldefeyter

michaeldefeyter

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

Just a quick note on the new version 1.1 of iFMS.
If you’ve upgraded from a previous version and had already installed FStoIFMS, for whichever version of flight simulator you’re using:
YOU MUST UPDATE YOUR FStoiFMS TO THE LATEST VERSION AVAILABLE ON THE iFMS WEBSITE.

You won’t be able to connect the new iFMS 1.1 with the older versions of FStoiFMS.

iFMS 1.1 does diplay a message about this upon first launch but this can easily be missed.
Sorry of there was any confusion about this.

Regards,
Michael

#23 michaeldefeyter

michaeldefeyter

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

I am happy to report iFMS version 1.1.4 is now available for download in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

This revision fixes the following issues:
- On some Android devices like the Motorola Xoom2 or the Samsung Galaxy Tab7 not all the FMC buttons were displayed because of a sizing issue of the bitmaps.
- Waypoint names should always be displayed when the HSI is in PLAN mode, not just when RTE DATA is selected.
- When a runway is selected in some cases there was a problem only displaying the relevant departures/arrivals for this runway.
- There was a crash and/or misplacement when programming a hold in an existing procedure.
- When the HSI was in plan mode in landscape configuration, trying to program a hold, the “STEP” function was overwritten by the “PPOS” function.
- Take-off status would only show complete after PERF INIT / ROUTE / TAKEOFF PAGE was complete and a departure runway was selected, in reality the departure runway does not need to be selected for take-off status to show as complete.

Two less common aircraft were also added to the list of default aircraft, the AgustaWestland AW139 Helicopter and the Cessna C337H Skymaster.

Many thanks go out to the users and testers who have pointed out and helped me resolve these issues.

What does the future hold for iFMS?

Apart from some revisions and minor upgrades in the near future, for the longer term I am planning some bigger developments for a later major upgrade (version 2.0):
- Full multi-device support: For the moment it is possible to connect multiple devices to a single flight simulator, however, the devices will not sync, i.e. if you program a route on one device it will not be reflected on the other devices connected to the same simulator and thus each device will need to be programmed separately. I’m planning to implement this functionality for the next major upgrade.
- A Primary Flight Display (PFD). iFMS currently consists of an FMC and HSI display (also known as a Navigation Display or ND). With the addition of multi-device support, a PFD will allow users to build a simple but very functional home cockpit using two or three Android/iOS devices connected to a single flight simulator.

As always, if you have any questions/concerns/issues don’t hesitate to contact me either through the feedback form on the iFMS website or directly, michael.defeyter@ifms-fs.com.

Michael De Feyter
iFMS
http://www.ifms-fs.com

#24 michaeldefeyter

michaeldefeyter

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

Hi again all,

I’ve just released another revision of the Android version of iFMS to the Google Play Store, this version is labelled 1.1.5.

It was pointed out to me that several Android devices which should be capable of running iFMS were listed as incompatible by the Google Play Store, hence iFMS could not be installed on those devices.
This had to do with the Play Store thinking iFMS requires the presence of a GPS, hence the Play Store was excluding all devices that don’t have a GPS from the compatible devices list.

As you might know iFMS is capable of using the GPS as data source instead of FSX/FS2004 or X-Plane, but this is not the main intent of iFMS and furthermore iFMS should most certainly never be used for real world navigation. This is a purely optional feature for educational purposes only.

With version 1.1.5 I’ve corrected the device requirements and now the GPS is listed as an optional feature (as it should be) which means devices with no GPS should now be able to download and install iFMS from the Play Store as well.

Michael De Feyter
iFMS
www.ifms-fs.com

#25 michaeldefeyter

michaeldefeyter

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

Hello again all,

I realize it has been quite a while since my last update.
Things have not been standing still, they just have been progressing much slower than I hoped, I have no real excuse other than saying my personal life came in the way.

With the help of many you I have been able to identify and resolve issues in the current version 1.1.4 / 1.1.5 available on the Apple and Goodle App Stores. Some of the Android users have been receiving updated “beta” versions for testing as well. I’d like to thank you all for your great help.

Many of you have been asking about the progress made on version 2.0 which will include a PFD screen and EICAS.
Well, again things have not been standing still but I was hoping to have it released by now. It is close but unfortunately not quite ready for release yet.

I can tell you it will be worth the wait once released.

I’ve been testing version 2.0 myself quite a lot recently to iron out the issues and I must say it is quite enjoyable to be flying with a “home” cockpit built out of 2 tablets and an iPhone.
The way I have mine currently set up I have my 10” iPad3 in landscape mode in front of me displaying the PFD & NAV displays side-by-side. I have my 7” Nexus tablet on the right of that in portrait mode displaying the upper and lower EICAS displays. Finally, below the Nexus, I have my iPhone4 in portrait mode displaying the FMC.
Everything pretty much laid out as it would be sitting in the captain’s seat in most airliners.
Off course it is entirely configurable which devices show which display(s), hence many different configurations using more or less devices are imaginable.

Note that iFMS does not require a whole lot of processing power to run, most older iOS/Android tablets/phones will work fine as long as you have sufficient storage space available for storing the navdata (be aware it does NOT run on the iPad 1st generation though). iFMS 2.0 will therefore make it quite affordable for any simmer now to build a simple but yet very usable and realistic home cockpit using just a couple of (older model) iOS/Android tablets and/or phones which can be found second hand these days for a nickel and a dime.

I will be taking some pictures of my setup and some snapshots of the new displays as soon as possible to give you all a bit of a preview.

Hopefully I will have news about a potential release date shortly after that as well.

Michael De Feyter
iFMS
www.ifms-fs.com

#26 michaeldefeyter

michaeldefeyter

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

iFMS 1.1.5 for Apple devices has been released today.

This is a minor update mainly to ensure compatibility with the recently released iOS 8 platform.

Other new features include:
- Added HSI active waypoint information
- Added HSI GS / TAS information
- Added HSI wind information
- Improved distance calculation based on WGS84 ellipsoid algorithms

An update for Android including the features above will be released in the coming days as well.

We still expect version 2.0, which will include a PFD and EICAS screens along with multi-device support, to be released by the end of the year.

Michael De Feyter
iFMS
www.ifms-fs.com

#27 michaeldefeyter

michaeldefeyter

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:46 PM

Hello again all,

I know it’s been a while but iFMS 2.0 is still underway.
Another project in my life had taken priority but as that is coming to a close, development iFMS 2.0 is finally going full speed ahead again.
One of my current users asked for a couple of pictures recently so I took these during a test flight to share:

DSC 0054
Uploaded 12 Mar 2015 - 23:44
DSC 0053

DSC 0047
DSC 0046

DSC 0045
Uploaded 12 Mar 2015 - 23:43

As of now I am happy for current iFMS 1.X users to become 2.0 beta testers.
However, at this stage I can only provide a test version for Android devices connected to FSX/P3D.
I have not been able to set up Apple’s “Testflight” environment yet to be able to allow testers on the iOS platform.
Also, development of a connection for X-Plane (Win and Mac) is still to be completed.

So, if you wish to become an iFMS 2.0 tester and if you comply with the limitations set up above, please contact me through the feedback form on the website.

On top of all the functionality iFMS 1.X already provides, iFMS 2.0 allows keen flight simmers to build a simple but realistic home cockpit using just a set of relatively cheap tablets/phones.

Hopefully I will have another update for you all soon.

Regards,
Michael De Feyter
www.ifms-fs.com

#28 michaeldefeyter

michaeldefeyter

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:46 PM

Hello again all,

I know it’s been a while but iFMS 2.0 is still underway.
Another project in my life had taken priority but as that is coming to a close, development iFMS 2.0 is finally going full speed ahead again.
One of my current users asked for a couple of pictures recently so I took these during a test flight to share:

DSC 0054
DSC 0053

DSC 0047
DSC 0046

DSC 0045
Uploaded 12 Mar 2015 - 23:43

As of now I am happy for current iFMS 1.X users to become 2.0 beta testers.
However, at this stage I can only provide a test version for Android devices connected to FSX/P3D.
I have not been able to set up Apple’s “Testflight” environment yet to be able to allow testers on the iOS platform.
Also, development of a connection for X-Plane (Win and Mac) is still to be completed.

So, if you wish to become an iFMS 2.0 tester and if you comply with the limitations set up above, please contact me through the feedback form on the website.

On top of all the functionality iFMS 1.X already provides, iFMS 2.0 allows keen flight simmers to build a simple but realistic home cockpit using just a set of relatively cheap tablets/phones.

Hopefully I will have another update for you all soon.

Regards,
Michael De Feyter
www.ifms-fs.com

#29 michaeldefeyter

michaeldefeyter

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

I am happy to announce the long-awaited release of iFMS 2.0.
This latest release transforms what was already a great product into something spectacular.

Apart from the original functionality, which consisted of a “Boeing style” Flight Management System, a Navigation Display and an LNAV/VNAV engine, iFMS now also incorporates a Primary Flight Display, various EICAS displays accommodating both twin and four engine aircraft and a fully functional MCP module.

On top of that iFMS now supports multiple devices being connected to a single flight simulator.
This means you can program the FMC on one device and all other devices connected to the same flight simulator will sync and display the programmed route and all associated information.

With the addition of the features above iFMS can be used to build relatively cheap, simple, but nevertheless, very realistic, “Boeing style” home cockpit.
All flight related information can now be displayed on as little as 2 or 3 tablets and/or phones, which means your flight simulator computer screen(s) can be fully used to display the outside view.
For example, a simple setup could consist of:
- a Tablet in front in Landscape mode displaying the PFD and NAV displays side by side,
- a second tablet to the right in portrait mode displaying the primary and secondary EICAS displays on top of each other
- a third smaller tablet or phone (configured as Master) positioned within arm’s reach beside the pilot displaying the FMC/MCP module.

As a home cockpit building solution, iFMS is still an order of magnitude cheaper than comparable professional products such as Project Magenta and, second hand Android/iOS devices that will run iFMS can be picked up for very little money these days, which means the dream of building your own home cockpit can now become a reality at a fraction of the cost.
Of course iFMS can still be used in its original form where only a single device is used to display the FMC screen and/or the NAV display.

As before, iFMS can be configured for use with almost any of your favorite Flight Simulator's standard or add-on aircraft, a number of default aircraft are included but you can easily make your own and download them to your iFMS either through iTunes on iOS devices or through file explorer on Android devices.

(Please note that it is not advised to use iFMS in combination with complex add-on aircraft such as PMDG or Level-D, since these aircraft already have a complex FMC/MCP system of their own which will conflict with iFMS)

Features Summary:

- Realistic Flight Planning/Tracking/Navigation
- Boeing style Flight Management System
- Boeing style Primary Flight Display
- Boeing style HSI or NAV Display
- Various 2 or 4 engine EICAS Displays
- LNAV & VNAV calculation and MCP programming
- LNAV/VNAV engine to control the aircraft autopilot
- Configurable aircraft
- Use your own created aircraft files
- Loading and saving of flight plans
- Compatible with Apple iPhone, iPod and iPad
- Single portrait or side by side landscape view
- Updatable navdata through Navigraph

Compatibility:

iFMS will run on the following devices:
- Android Phone/Tablet with at least 512mb of RAM
- Apple iPad (2nd generation or later)
- Apple iPad Mini, or
- Apple iPhone (4th generation or later)
- Apple iPod Touch (4th generation or later)

iFMS is compatible to run with:
- Microsoft Flight Simulator 9 (using FSUIPC)
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X
- Prepar3D 2.X
- Prepar3D 3.X
- X-Plane 9 (Windows only)
- X-Plane 10 (Windows and OSX)
- Stand-alone (possibly GPS driven if available)

More information:

For more information, instructions, screenshots and much more, visit the iFMS website:
http://www.ifms-fs.com/

Posted Image