#1 Vlad781

Vlad781

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hello everyone,

I was planning at first to make a virtual airline, but I feel I may not always have the time to manage one. So, I'm thinking of creating a dedicated server in which a virtual airspace is created and run like a real-world airspace to simulate a realistic environment between ATC, Weather, and pilots. Of course, over time once the server can pretty much run on itself, then I can open up a virtual airline within the airspace.

My question is, if I do go forth with this project,

1) Will people be interested in helping me manage and run the technical and public side of the server.
- I will need some help of programmers ( I can program windows applications as well, I just may need some help), I plan to make applications through which ATC can use to simulate charts and plot planes, and overall, just provide a lot of information based on aircraft movement, rather than use the FSX Tower control. I think its useless.

2) Will people be interested in this at all and fly with the server on regular basis?
- There will be events which would bring people together.

3) Will people donate/fund to help run the bandwidth, website, and initial server initialization?
- As of right now, my estimate for everything's cost is about 1,500 USD. From purchasing a server computer, to building and hosting the website, to getting access to storage and bandwidth, this is my initial estimate. After that, it will be about 40 USD a month to run and maintain. This is just an estimate, I'm sure that I can cut down the costs by 40%, because I have not looked at specific prices for services yet, I'm getting these numbers from past instances where I used web hosting before and friends who have built server computers in the past. This is all floating around in my mind, and being written down on paper.

So, what are your guy's thoughts? Thanks!