#1 jackbirdy412

jackbirdy412

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

Hello all

After a lengthy break I'm looking to get back into flight simulation again. I bought FSX in around 2008 and haven't played any flight sim since about 2010. I've noticed P3D crop up and I'm not impressed by what I've seen in the videos. It looks pretty much exactly like FSX to me, although as I haven't played it I can't be absolutely certain. Can someone explain to me whether P3D is worth it or not? How is it different to FSX? Will my addons work?

By the way, I'm running an OK but not excellent laptop consisting of the following:
Intel Core i5 running at 2.6GHz turbo to 3.2GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
2GB ATI Radeon 7700 Graphics

Am I going to see a particularly noticeable performance difference? I have installed FSX and flown around KSAN and I get around 40fps in the air, 25-30 on the ground with no addons installed and settings on quite high.

Many thanks

#2 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:12 AM

I haven't used P3D, however, I do know that there are far more addon's and mods available for FSX over P3D. With the amount of quality available to add to FSX I see no reason to use any other sim! :)

#3 Jonay

Jonay

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

I don't know, a lot of FSX stuff can be ported over P3D without any issues in compatibility - which may not last long as I believe they are (or already have) ported P3D to 64bit.

A lot of developers are making for "FSX + P3D" jsut as they used to (still do?!) with "FS9+FSX" .

#4 Johnan

Johnan

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

I have used prepar3d ever since version 1.4 came out and find it much more stable and smooth than FSX.  The next version v2 will be even better.
I reinstalled FSX today to try out the PMDG 777 (it doesn't work intentionally in P3d, which must be one of the most daft commercial decisions of all time) and I was back to warnings about out of memory situations and other hangups which I have has none of since I changed to P3d.
I feel like just ditching the 777 and staying with P3d, it is so much more usable and stable than FSX.   Others may disagree, but have I have had plenty experience of both.

#5 skytrain

skytrain

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

I am having serious problems with Prepar3D and I am surprised that no one in any of the forums seems to have it. Depending on the number of aircraft in the Simobjects folder, the "Aircraft - Select Aircraft" instruction causes it to crash. I would have thought this is probably due to an incompatible  plane ported from FSX but as I reduce the number of AI aircraft it works. Indeed if I increase the number of AI aircraft until it starts to crash, I can delete some of the stock airplanes and it stops crashing. It almost implies that P3D is simply unable to cope with large numbers of objects in the Simobjects folder. Deleting some Ivao MTLs also has the same effect, that is, it starts to work and then starts to crash as I reinstall them.

The most frustrating aspect of this problem is also that it is not consistent. The instruction will sometimes work with the same number of aircraft and then for no apparent reason start to crash. Once it starts, then it will crash consistently until I delete some aircraft. Sometimes I reinstall the same Aircraft that I deleted and it works once or twice then start to crash. I have tried to repair, reinstall (over the existing installation) to no success.

Any Ideas, I really love AI traffic and I never had a similar problem with FSX. Training without AI traffic makes one lose a an important interactive skill. anybody please help.